Options

Students rioting again FFS

Comments

• Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cly wrote: »
    Ooops! you want a towel to wipe that egg of your face?

I presume you have now seen the footage of the disabled chap being dragged from his wheelchair? It's been shown and viewed all over the world including on the BBC etc.

Aah satisfied sigh and what more can i add other than

This SHAM of DEMOCRACY leaves NO CHOICE.

OBJECT, REFUSE, REJECT, ABUSE.

Re: the man in the wheelchair, from what I've seen, he was there trying to push his way out and shouting at the police, so he deserved to be treated like any other protester.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you have now seen the footage of the disabled chap being dragged from his wheelchair? It's been shown and viewed all over the world including on the BBC etc.

But the video I saw doesn't show it clearly - so can you give me the link to the one that does? Despite everyone - police and protestors filming everything (or so it seemed from the TV), it's odd that there isn't a video that makes it 100% clear.

By his own admission, he can actually walk (enough to climb the stairs at Millbank Tower) - so even if he WAS pulled from his chair, he wouldn't just be stuck on the floor paralysed.

Secondly, he travels around goading the police and getting stuck in to the protests. Being mistreated is what he wants, so he can write about it and go to the media to talk about himself. He's the news, not whatever cause he might have.

If he was attacked, he's at least being treated equally, which is what all disabled people want - yet it would appear that the police weren't actually abusing him, but getting him safely out of the area when he refused to move - like some martyr.

Still, if what happens to one or two people out of tens of thousands helps support the argument that we should oust the Government and have anarchy instead, so be it.

Most people have now forgotten about last week and are getting on with living in the real world.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Ooops! you want a towel to wipe that egg of your face?

Aah satisfied sigh and what more can i add other than

This SHAM of DEMOCRACY leaves NO CHOICE.

OBJECT, REFUSE, REJECT, ABUSE.
    He wasn't a peaceful protester. He wasn't a student. The disabled chap, I mean.

So no egg on the poster's face at all.

Eta; note to self, read the next page before you reply. Others said it better than me. :o
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

Eta; note to self, read the next page before you reply. Others said it better than me. :o

Maybe this wheelchair Che Guevara wants to be a hero of the proletariat, but he simply comes across as rabble rouser cashing in on his CP.

Note to JD...You said what needs to be said well enough....:D
  • Options
    clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

??? You've gone off at a tangent to the actual subject of what i took to task.

When i made my post i reported that the police had dragged someone out of his wheelchair and along the ground. The poster who replied to my input categorically said that was a LIE

I bided my time until, as i knew would happen, the footage of someone being dragged from their wheelchair and along the ground has been aired across the world.

Therefore, i did NOT LIE! Therefore, the poster who claimed i lied was well and truly WRONG and the phrase left with egg on his face was perfectly fitting.

As for all these pointed comments about some of the protestors not being students, well so what??? There's very few protest marches of any kind that doesn't have amongst it members of the general population. There was absoutely no prerequisite to be a student. It's usually seen as a very positive factor when people from different sections of society to those being directly affected by an issue support a march.

You may well be observing the government in their first attack on the people targetting the students and think you're not a student so that's ok. You look the other way it doesn't affect you.

Next up is the disabled and poorest sections of society, so you may not be disabled or poor and look the other way because it doesn't affect you personally.

Incidentally, a civilised society is usually judged on how it treats it's weaker elements such as the sick, disabled and old along with provision of health care and education (We'll not mention democracy as that's long gone).

But there will come a day when they target their cuts towards something that does affect you.

Got to admit i would never have imagined that a flak jacketed, NATO helmeted, robocop clad police line would have to be protected from a person with Cerebral Palsy trundling towards them in a wheelchair.

Do you seriously think a person with Cerebral Palsy in a wheelchair can pose a threat to a police officer even if they are, shock and horror at the fearful thought of it, shouting!?

One word with regards numbers of injuries on both sides, police record grazes as an injury, protestors injuries are only counted if they require hospital treatment.

I don't know why the police chiefs made a fawning apology to charlie and camilla as they didn't get hurt. Unlike the student who was struck so severely with a baton as he was trying to leave a 'kettle cordon' he required emergency brain surgery. He very nearly didn't get that as a nurse had to take him to a separate resuscitation room to keep him away from the police who found it "upsetting" to see protestors in the hospital.

It's only a few years since the police had to apologise for claiming a catalogue of injuries at a peace camp when it was subsequently unearthed that it mainly included such atrocities as bee stings etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like people who label all students as unwashed lazy bums, i label all police as arrogant bullies who only look after their own.

Anyone know if that lad has recovered from being brained by the trigger happy copper with a baton? Let's just be grateful they don't carry guns.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    Just like people who label all students as unwashed lazy bums, i label all police as arrogant bullies who only look after their own.

Anyone know if that lad has recovered from being brained by the trigger happy copper with a baton? Let's just be grateful they don't carry guns.

I'm just grateful that the Lords passed the fee rises too.

Epic Fail students.

You are learning some important lessons the teachers obviously failed to impart. Stamping your feet in class and screaming at teacher may be ok.....but it does not work outside the playground. :)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Superior wrote: »
    You are learning some important lessons the teachers obviously failed to impart. Stamping your feet in class and screaming at teacher may be ok.....but it does not work outside the playground. :)

And it's not costing them a penny either. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ??? You've gone off at a tangent to the actual subject of what i took to task.

When i made my post i reported that the police had dragged someone out of his wheelchair and along the ground. The poster who replied to my input categorically said that was a LIE

I bided my time until, as i knew would happen, the footage of someone being dragged from their wheelchair and along the ground has been aired across the world.

Therefore, i did NOT LIE! Therefore, the poster who claimed i lied was well and truly WRONG and the phrase left with egg on his face was perfectly fitting.
    Your claim regarding the disabled guy, Jody, was not true.
    As for all these pointed comments about some of the protestors not being students, well so what??? There's very few protest marches of any kind that doesn't have amongst it members of the general population. There was absoutely no prerequisite to be a student.
    I mentioned it only to show you that he wasn't a student so your post was incorrect. .
    Next up is the disabled and poorest sections of society, so you may not be disabled or poor and look the other way because it doesn't affect you personally.
    Being both poor and disabled, this does not apply to me.
    But there will come a day when they target their cuts towards something that does affect you.
    Again being disabled and poor, the cuts do affect me and my daughter.
    Got to admit i would never have imagined that a flak jacketed, NATO helmeted, robocop clad police line would have to be protected from a person with Cerebral Palsy trundling towards them in a wheelchair.

Do you seriously think a person with Cerebral Palsy in a wheelchair can pose a threat to a police officer even if they are, shock and horror at the fearful thought of it, shouting!?
    Shouting? No.

Throwing things? Yes.

Having CP does not prevent him being a threat. He is not paralysed and is as capable of physical violence as the next man.

A disabled student who was dragged from his wheelchair by four policemen and was also a peaceful protester.
    This bit was not true. Therefore my post still stands.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Allegedly - no proof and no evidence as yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Allegedly - no proof and no evidence as yet

Can you even be trigger happy with a baton? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why are you making a link between the two? Being disabled does not in any way mean you're poor, or vice versa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only a matter of time until the police end up killing a student. Then again i expect the mob on here to be well pleased when it does. It might "put them off protesting".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's just be grateful they don't carry guns.

Some of them did, and you'll note that they didn't use them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's only a matter of time until the police end up killing a student. Then again i expect the mob on here to be well pleased when it does. It might "put them off protesting".

That's a bit dramatic.

Nobody has suggested or advocated that.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

It's only a matter of time until the students end up killing a cop. Then again i expect the mob on here to be well pleased when it does. It'll be a "blow for freedom".

Y'know, the funny thing is, I really don't think anybody here would condone the death of a student but I DO believe that some people here would condone the death of a cop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the students were saying that the troublemakers weren't students? Wasn't the protest hijacked? Thus, if these troublemaking thugs are seriously injured - why would any student be concerned?

It's thanks to those troublemakers that the students lost all sympathy.

Why the hell should anyone support the people who went tooled up to cause trouble and try and hurt/kill the police and their horses?

If we could perhaps separate the two groups, we might get somewhere and the students could stop looking upon the police as the enemy - when all they had to do was uphold the peace. I bet many officers were in support of the students too - and would have stood back and let them protest all day long if they'd stuck to the agreed plan of events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time until the students end up killing a cop. Then again i expect the mob on here to be well pleased when it does. It'll be a "blow for freedom".

Y'know, the funny thing is, I really don't think anybody here would condone the death of a student but I DO believe that some people here would condone the death of a cop.

Sadly, I think you're right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't wish death on anyone. I just think it's disgusting that people on here are basically advocating the use of violence against students who have a very valid right to protest against unfair fees.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

"Condone"... tricky choice of words, because there are (very rare) situations where it's possible to condone it. For example, if an officer was severely beating an innocent and reasonable force was used in self-defence (or protection of the victim) against the officer, and he died as a result... then that would be "just another" case of an attacker dying as a result of the reasonable force used to defend.

So in that context, I think many would - probably including you.

Would some celebrate the death of an officer though? Unfortunately I think some would, even if they died at a protest (maybe even because).

For all my criticisms of the police force, I'm in no-way anti-police and I certainly recognise there's people under the uniforms. Given that I am a pacifist by nature, there's no way I'd wish harm on another person. Given that I recognise the police do largely a good job of supporting the public, I'd not wish harm on the officer either.

Those that would I have little time for. They damage the nature of protesting itself and harm the cause for which they protest.
  • Options
    tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't wish death on anyone. I just think it's disgusting that people on here are basically advocating the use of violence against students who have a very valid right to protest against unfair fees.

They have a right to protest peacefully, not to break the law.

You say the fees are unfair, others think it would be unfair for people who are on low paid jobs and decided not to go to uni, to pay for those who have made the choice to do so for their own benefit.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvd wrote: »

You say the fees are unfair, others think it would be unfair for people who are on low paid jobs and decided not to go to uni, to pay for those who have made the choice to do so for their own benefit.

My OH is one of those "low paid workers". She supports free education, and were she not caring for me and dealing with 2 kids, she'd be peacefully protesting "down that London" too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvd wrote: »

The vast majority are not breaking the law though. As I've said previously, troublemakers should be arrested on an individual basis. If that means the police actually have to do some work rather than just kettling the entire crowd, then tough.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's unfair to ask them to pay for their own higher education. They're choosing to go to university, why should others fund it?
    WokStation wrote: »
    My OH is one of those "low paid workers". She supports free education, and were she not caring for me and dealing with 2 kids, she'd be peacefully protesting "down that London" too.

I support free education. Up to the age of 16 (or 18, I guess). That's the only education that should be free.
  • Options
    tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »

I'm one of those low paid workers, and I support free education. Up to the age of 18 years, after which I believe you make you own choices and pay for further education if you want it.

Is it fair for someone to have free education up to their late twenties, then get a highly paid job, retire early. At the same time as someone who started work years before them, paid for the other's education through income tax, then has to work years after the graduate retired? No is the answer.