Options

Why are babies allowed on long haul flights?

Comments

• Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't anyone going to speak up for the babies. Their only means of communicating is crying. For all you moaners may know the baby may be distressed. If you're unable to factor in the most obvious in regards to flying, don't bother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    I have recently returned from Australia, and mine and very many other people's' flights were horrendous due to the constant screaming and crying of babies.

I had over 30 hours worth of the problem. As soon as the outbound flight took off it was 'waahhhhh' right up to when it landed in Singapore. And it wasnt just 1 baby, there were 6 on this particular flight.

Why are they allowed to fly?
    I asked one of the fathers this exact question, to which he replied "we are taking him to see my sister for the first time'
    Surely if there is a new baby in the family then the sister should come to see the baby not the other way around.To put the baby through the flight's eardrum pain caused by decsending is also very cruel.

If babies HAVE to fly then there should be a special enclosed area for them, not just the bassinet seats at the front or middle of the plane. The constant screaming meant no one for many rows back could enjoy the flights they had paid for.

Call me bah humbug if you will, but babies should not be allowed on long haul flights.
    Anyone with me?

For the same reason moaning adults are.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't anyone going to speak up for the babies. Their only means of communicating is crying. For all you moaners may know the baby may be distressed. If you're unable to factor in the most obvious in regards to flying, don't bother.

If they're going to get distressed, their parents shouldn't put them on a plane-it isn't fair to the kid, or the other passengers. I've no sympathy.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the increased levels of exposure to radiation, the reduced levels of oxygen and the recirculating germs in the cabin I don't think people actually realise the dangers of taking babies on long haul flights.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can always visit you instead.
    And leave their kids at home.

Maybe you missed my previous post where I said they don't have the time or the money. If you don't like kids and choose not to have them, then great. But I shouldn't have to point out that until science develops a way for us to gestate our children until adulthood, they are, and will continue to be a part of society, and we shouldn't be expected to sequester them away because of a few intolerant, cranky adults.
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    The cargo hold next to the rest of the livestock?

I've often suggested that. There is no need for them to be flying anywhere at that age. I am sick and tied of paying the best part of £1000 for a return flight to the US to have constant screaming and interruption.

if not, a separate,soundproof area. Pity the poor cabin crew though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're going to get distressed, their parents shouldn't put them on a plane-it isn't fair to the kid, or the other passengers. I've no sympathy.

And how is the parent to know their baby will be distressed by the flight. the baby cannot tell them, can they. There are a number of reasons the baby could be distressed, picking up on the anxiety of other passengers is one. Not everyone likes flying and we all have a different way of showing it or covering it up.
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally Adult only flights would be good, like they do with hotels. I would pay a premium for it.

There has been talk of them, but I think the families with kids should pay the premium. :mad:
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whereas the passenger unfortunate enough to be sat next to you and your incessent whining gets my sympathy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member

Babies, toddlers, young kids..etc cry, it's a fact, some cry and are whingy for no reason at all, whether on a flight or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few minutes or a few hours (and it's as likely to be one as the other), the fact remains that the person sitting next to you paid to travel and has to expect to do so without some squalling brat diriving them to distraction. Parents always seem to assume the rest of the world has some sort of shared obligation to their kids: it doesn't.

You seem to be confusing 'hope' with 'expect'. If you EXPECT your flights to be free from children you are bound to be disappointed, since children are part of the human race and participate in its activities. As for the shared obligation we have to other peoples' children, you were probably quite pleased once upon a time to live in a world where adults smiled kindly at you from time to time. Why not pass it on a little?
  • Options
    pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I flew to Hong Kong from the UK with my children when they were both 4 months old....3 years apart. I was given good advice by my doctor before flying, I gave them a bottle when taking off and when landing to ensure they were sucking at these times. It helped their ears adjust to the change in cabin pressure. I did it on take off and landing and had a good flight there and back on both occasions. It's all about the preparation. Of course babies should be allowed to fly long haul. I am not sure what advice airlines give to those flying long haul with little ones though,

I've heard babies scream in pain many times on take-off and landing, its horrible to hear. i can tune out the bored/sleepy/let me crawl around crying but the screaming in pain makes me distressed too. I don't understand why all parents dont do this :confused:
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am totally with you on all your points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »

You obviously have no understanding of life, children and circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How are parents supposed to know whether their children are 'going to get distressed' unless they are frequent flyers and see it every time? I would guess that a fair proportion of those on long haul flights with very small children are there for fairly compelling family reasons. Unless you are forced to take peak time flights with no spare seats, you can always ask to move. A crying baby is not in the same category as an obnoxious 12 year old: you can be sure that the parents are doing everything in their power to put a stop to the crying.
  • Options
    JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeping babies in dog containers would be a good idea.
    They can survive a day without feeding right?
    How are parents supposed to know whether their children are 'going to get distressed' unless they are frequent flyers and see it every time? I would guess that a fair proportion of those on long haul flights with very small children are there for fairly compelling family reasons. Unless you are forced to take peak time flights with no spare seats, you can always ask to move. A crying baby is not in the same category as an obnoxious 12 year old: you can be sure that the parents are doing everything in their power to put a stop to the crying.

Don't run before you can walk.
    If you've never seen what your baby is like on a little plane journey to Spain or Ireland or wherever then don't take the bloody thing to China expecting he'll be totally fine.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have flown a lot and never had a problem with babies crying. I have though had to suffer some adults being really annoying.

Babies don't generally cry for hours on end, they tend to sleep and drink the majority of the time. Nobody can know in advance if their baby will have a problem and sometimes of course it will depend on how the parents deal with it. Lumping all babies and children into one is unfair.

I wonder what those that get so annoyed of others kids will do when they have children. Babies are a fact of life, we all start out as them and we will all need them as we get older to support us in our old age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously have no understanding of life, children and circumstances.

Because my views on babies on planes differ to yours? Clearly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josquius wrote: »
    Keeping babies in dog containers would be a good idea.
    They can survive a day without feeding right?
    I promise that lots and lots of feeding is the best way to keep a baby quiet though. I once took my 6 week old daughter on an 11 hour coach journey (for compelling family reasons) and there was not a squeak out of her from beginning to end - she just fed and dozed alternately. Possibly other passengers may have thought breast feeding was a heinous sin, but tough, if I may use the phrase, titty. At least she was quiet.
    If you've never seen what your baby is like on a little plane journey to Spain or Ireland or wherever then don't take the bloody thing to China expecting he'll be totally fine.

A very reasonable, logical suggestion that doesn't actually work. Babies are not like computer programmes - they are wildly inconsistent. A baby could well be angelic for ages, then suddenly grow horns and a tail on her first long-haul flight.

I must admit that I didn't take mine on a long haul flight until they were about 15, but then I had no reason to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because my views on babies on planes differ to yours? Clearly.

Babies cry for different reasons. They aren't deliberately being obnoxious. Crying is their language, their only method of communication.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Babies cry for different reasons. They aren't deliberately being obnoxious. Crying is their language, their only method of communication.

True. And though it is perfectly natural for an irritated person to think that Something Must Be Done, it is not always an appropriate response. Being irritated that a crying baby is disturbing your repose is natural; demanding that all babies are subsequently removed from your life is unreasonable. It is like that story of Elton John calling room service and demanding that they stop the noisy wind blowing outside as it was disturbing his sleep.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Do all the people here moaning about crying babies realise that once they did exactly that themselves - all of us, in fact?

It's the only way babies have of communicating.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Josquius wrote: »

Great tip! Totally useless if you have to visit relatives in China of course, but thanks anyway...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great tip! Totally useless if you have to visit relatives in China of course, but thanks anyway...

Not neccessarily. If your relatives live in China, take them on a plane to Spain or Ireland first, as was suggested.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not neccessarily. If your relatives live in China, take them on a plane to Spain or Ireland first, as was suggested.

You do realise that babies actually vary in their behaviour from one day to the next? You can have a very quiet baby most of the time but then the odd day when nothing seems to pacify them. Babies are human, not robots, like adults they have good and bad days and a test run of something wont always give the same result.
This discussion has been closed.