Options

Why are You an Atheist?

Comments

• Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe peope are because that's what works for them.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO to those FM's - Why are you an Atheist?
    Three reasons:
    1. Nothing I have experienced or heard about has required a supernatural explanation.
    2. Every religion seems to have logical inconsistencies.
    3. Most religions seem to be geared toward controlling people.

But I'm not sure the original question is valid. I'm not the one that uses belief in the unprovable to justify or modify my behaviour. I think that the onus should be on believers to explain themselves - they are the ones doing something odd in my eyes.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said it's the defaul position.

I was brought up in a Christian household and went to a Christian school and a Christian church etc etc.

It was only as I got older that I realised people actually believed all the stuff I was being told about.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    As others have said it's the defaul position.

I was brought up in a Christian household and went to a Christian school and a Christian church etc etc.

It was only as I got older that I realised people actually believed all the stuff I was being told about.
    Hah, yes. Similar to me. I still find it odd (creepy even) to think that people who are praying actually do think that there's someone listening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Okay, I expected at least one person to have simply posted "I'm not" and left it at that. I'm a bit disapointed, now.

I'm curious to know how many atheists actually have an iron clad, unwavering conviction and total non-belief in God. This is what atheism means to me - Almost the polar opposite of the enthusiastic true believers.

I like to think of myself as an Apathist. I just don't care if He's up there or not. Religion plays no part in my daily, weekly, monthly nor indeed annual life and I spend no time whatsoever pondering the eternal mysteries. I just don't care.

So that is why I hold my particular views (or lack thereof) about the whole God thing. I just don't care. To quote that damnable Meerkat "Simples"
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say it loud, say it proud!
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenRielly wrote: »
    Okay, I expected at least one person to have simply posted "I'm not" and left it at that. I'm a bit disapointed, now.

I'm curious to know how many atheists actually have an iron clad, unwavering conviction and total non-belief in God. This is what atheism means to me - Almost the polar opposite of the enthusiastic true believers.

I like to think of myself as an Apathist. I just don't care if He's up there or not. Religion plays no part in my daily, weekly, monthly nor indeed annual life and I spend no time whatsoever pondering the eternal mysteries. I just don't care.

So that is why I hold my particular views (or lack thereof) about the whole God thing. I just don't care. To quote that damnable Meerkat "Simples"

That is me!
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,063
    Forum Member
    For me, it was a journey. I grew up going to church (my family still do), I was a Sunday school teacher for a while.

I drifted out through Uni, and the more I learn about the universe, the smaller the 'God' shaped hole is. While I haven't reached Dawkins-like levels of certainty, I'm as near to a cast-iron atheist as it is possible to get.

I'm happy to live in a society with Judeo-Christian moral values (be nice to people, don't steal, don't kill) but those constructs exist just as well without the concepts associated with religion.

Also, if the Christian God is real, then, quite frankly, he's a git. Especially the OT version. (Note: I am not familiar with the teachings of other Holy Books, but I am quite satisifed that the lack of creator rules them out as well)
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    What gets me is how can ADULTS still believe in all the religous stuff, but laughably dismiss a toothfairy, father christmas etc. when they get older. It's the same stuff. It's all thought up as imagination by a person or people who had nothing better to do than trick you into some kind of conspiracy.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because, as a child, I had to face two possibilities:

(i) God exists - and he smote half my family over a 6 week period. Nice god.

(ii) God doesn't exist - the universe is random. Bad things happen.

I found (ii) easier to live with when I was 10 and I find it easier to live with now I'm middle aged.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find my beliefs don't fit in with religions, Although I wouldn't say I was atheist.

There are to many co-incidences and strange happenings in my experiences to completely discount a god type being, But if he does exist he has a sick sense of humour.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not in the mood for discussions today :p

Fair enough :D
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I'm an atheist until I think about things, things like the spinners from a sycamore tree. How did nature just "do" that? Things like sight, how did nature do that? The more I look around me the more I think there has to be an architect but I don't know what or who that is. It couldn't have just happened, it's all so complex and the more I think about it the more panic stricken I become. I'm going to strike atheist off my CV and I'm going to join the ranks of the don't knows. If I had my way I'd become a naturist but I refuse to remove my clothes for anyone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I'm an atheist until I think about things, things like the spinners from a sycamore tree. How did nature just "do" that? Things like sight, how did nature do that? The more I look around me the more I think there has to be an architect but I don't know what or who that is. It couldn't have just happened, it's all so complex and the more I think about it the more panic stricken I become. I'm going to strike atheist off my CV and I'm going to join the ranks of the don't knows. If I had my way I'd become a naturist but I refuse to remove my clothes for anyone!

That's the child in us though, isn;t it? Wanting to believe things are so amazing they must have been 'made'..? When in fact, we know from empirical evidence things evolve, and mutate, and change and all the beautiful and amazing 'miracles' like the structure of a snowflake, or how your senses work, or... penguins... those things can just 'be' without having been 'created'? We don;t need a 'father' to make things happen for us, or make things un-happen. Not once we grow up. (And I don;t mean that in a perjorative way - just an observation about the nature of humanity in general, not the poster I'm quoting).

These things in nature - are no less miraculous. Maybe moreso. Dawkins makes this point over and over.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member

If you really want to get a feel for the age of the Earth and learn about evolution there are plenty of books to explain how those things you mention came about. Just saying god did it isn't an answer at all.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I'm an atheist and i think all religion is BS. I am bringing my daughter up as an atheist.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,835
    Forum Member

How do you find it difficult to believe that these things could not have come about without a designer when you can believe that something complex enough to design them did come about without being designed?
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    BenRielly wrote: »

I'm curious to know how many atheists actually have an iron clad, unwavering conviction and total non-belief in God.
    This is what atheism means to me - Almost the polar opposite of the enthusiastic true believers.

Me...
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have to be an athiest though, and actually physically "not believe".

Is it possible just to "not care either way"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But then your back to the same thing. If God exists and is such an amazing being - where did God come from? Someone must have designed God, presuming everything needs an architect. If you can believe that God just 'always existed' why not believe that the possibility of everything in nature 'always existed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I wasn't brainwashed at a young age.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My feelings are the same as WokStation at post #4

I don't believe in the supernatural. I believe in things I can be explained and that are real.

Not to say that I have a closed mind. There could be more to life and there could be a God, but I have no faith or feelings that there is anything else after this life.

The same with ghosts. I would have to see one to believe in them as well
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have to be an athiest though, and actually physically "not believe".

Is it possible just to "not care either way"?

Yes - an atheist simply has a lack of belief.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    How do you find it difficult to believe that these things could not have come about without a designer when you can believe that something complex enough to design them did come about without being designed?

That is possibly the best point ever made on this forum about this subject.:D

I'd love to see believers answer it - not in a mean-spirited way but in a - I-want-to-see-the-intellectual-gymnastics kinda way.

Anyone?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not.