Options

New Corrie set - What would you like to see?

PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,452
Forum Member
✭✭
What would everyone like to see on the new set?

I think it'd be good to see a little more of Viaduct Street, and definately Mawdsley Street, VictoriaStreet could also be more realistic

The only thing is, how will they explain the disappearance of the Brewey (In real life, the science museum) and the Warehouse/Victoria Court (In real life, The Bonded Warehouse)

Comments

• Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tram Landing Spot.
  • Options
    KevraniKevrani Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The exterior of the Rovers to match the interior! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevrani wrote: »
    The exterior of the Rovers to match the interior! :D

Also, a wider street to allow cars to actually park xD
  • Options
    polkadottydresspolkadottydress Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garages that are rented for their cars to be in ;)
  • Options
    soupnazisoupnazi Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, a wider street to allow cars to actually park xD

Yep the wideness of the Street is definitely the main flaw with the current set. The lack of parked cars has become increasingly unrealistic over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soupnazi wrote: »
    Yep the wideness of the Street is definitely the main flaw with the current set. The lack of parked cars has become increasingly unrealistic over the years.

Aye lol, if they'd tried to park cars on this set, only bikes would be able to drive down the street xD
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing is, how will they explain the disappearance of the Brewery (In real life, the science museum) and the Warehouse/Victoria Court (In real life, The Bonded Warehouse)

It would be pretty easy to explain in Manchester - they got demolished! Grade 1/2 listings mean very little here. All that is left of Boddington's Brewery is the chimney! http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossendalewadey/4879491355/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most important thing is for the entire street - all the houses, the road, everything to be full and proper size.

I would also like to see the street behind Coronation Street, and thus a bit more of both Viaduct Street and Rosamund Street. That way you could get a much wider sense of the community, and it would feel much more credible a setting.

They should also rectify anomalies like there being no side windows in the Rovers exterior set, but them being there on the interior set.

I also think the corner shop could become a real working set with windows that really do see out onto the street, like the kebab shop does.

This is a real opportunity for Corrie to finally look real and credible. I personally could easily swallow a few visual continuity changes from the old set to the new one, in order to really make the outside set 100% authentic. We'd soon get used to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's going to be an exact replica, but to a greater scale, meaning it' very likely that the houses will finally, after 50 years, be the size they're supposed to be xD
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of the Corner Shop being a fully exterior set. The Kabin should definitely keep its classic studio interior though.

Hopefully they'll widen the street so they can then make the houses bigger and still shoot comfortably.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC when this topic was discussed many months ago with the start of the moving rumor the plans profissionally included a Weatherfield High Street set with supermarket, police station, court house and church. I believe Bessie Street was also mentioned which would mean having the school in story lines again.

The area I would love to see back would be the street that is on the other side of the viaduct and was always there prior to 1986 when the arches were filled in (the old titles used to have a milk float driving through where The Joinery now is (or was lol) ) as this is where Betty was supposed to live. The Flying Horse as a proper exterior set would be a nice touch as well
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see:

1. The removal of that ridiculous viaduct Julian Perkins put in in 2000
    2. More Rosamund Street, Viaduct Street, Inkeman Street, etc
    3. Satellite dishes that point the right way
    4. The disposal of that bloody stone cladding on Jack and Vera's old place. Move on!

BIG opportunity here, hopefully along the lines of how Shameless have done it, by building an arcade, several streets, the pub and other outdoor buildings.

It's really exciting!
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too would like to see Victoria Street, Rosamund Street etc extended.

Perhaps build a few extra houses around the back (to allow for 'on-location' filming perhaps?)

The houses being full-sized and fully decorated too; so they could film in the properties rather than have a character pretend to look out of the window onto a painted cloth.

And, if they wish to keep the tram, actually build the site next to a tram line rather than using CGI?
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    I'd like to see:

1. The removal of that ridiculous viaduct Julian Perkins put in in 2000
    2. More Rosamund Street, Viaduct Street, Inkeman Street, etc
    3. Satellite dishes that point the right way
    4. The disposal of that bloody stone cladding on Jack and Vera's old place. Move on!

BIG opportunity here, hopefully along the lines of how Shameless have done it, by building an arcade, several streets, the pub and other outdoor buildings.

It's really exciting!

I agree considering that the recent CGI footage omitted the damn thing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waz101 wrote: »
    It would be pretty easy to explain in Manchester - they got demolished! Grade 1/2 listings mean very little here. All that is left of Boddington's Brewery is the chimney! http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossendalewadey/4879491355/

What a waste! Demollition of a historic Brewery to make way for a car hire place!

p.s - What is the Brewery on the south side of Manchester, I can remember drivong past it in 2000, near an Asda and Old Trafford.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    What a waste! Demollition of a historic Brewery to make way for a car hire place!

p.s - What is the Brewery on the south side of Manchester, I can remember drivong past it in 2000, near an Asda and Old Trafford.

I live over the river from the former Boddies Brewery - even the chimney has gone! It was dismantled over the last few weeks. :(

The other brewery to the south is Scottish and Newcastle - who make (made) Fosters.
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree considering that the recent CGI footage omitted the damn thing!

Check out the live CGI in last Thursday's episode. (when you were looking down the Street when the title sequence started.)

It's there to the left of The Rovers.... yet is not in other episodes as you've mentioned ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iainjw wrote: »
    I live over the river from the former Boddies Brewery - even the chimney has gone! It was dismantled over the last few weeks. :(

The other brewery to the south is Scottish and Newcastle - who make (made) Fosters.

Yes I remember seeing that when I was up there! Saying that Fosters was also made where near where I live, until the Brewery (that was resited in 1980) was closed down earlier this year.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we see Rosamund Street again, and lose the fake backdrop next to the Rovers. I'd like to see Victoria Street expanded, and I think it would be nice to see the factory depot, and what's behind the posh side of the street, beyond Streetcars. I'd actually like to see the Viaduct partially demolished as well, and Coronation Street linked with Jubilee Street again.

Most of all though, and this is not an outdoor set, but I'd like to see Freshco return. In recent years, the Street has become very closed off and characters rarely leave, and that wasn't always the case. Take the focus off the factory for a while, and reintroduce the supermarket. Maybe Dev's empire collapses, and he's offered a manager position? Graeme could work there as a trainee butcher, Mary could get a job as supervisor, and we meet a whole new set of characters.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Hopefully we can see more of Weatherfield. And hopefully a more a realistic looking street.

At the moment I'm very conscious that I'm watching a television set - whereas when I watch something like Emmerdale that set is so realistic it never crosses my mind that it's not real.
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That may have something to do with the fact that the Corrie set is not only massively more familiar, but used to be open to tourists.

There is no actual "authentic" difference between the two.
  • Options
    emmerdaleloveremmerdalelover Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soupnazi wrote: »

Yes, but when the street was built in 1902, the residents couldn't afford cars and those old back streets tended to be very narrow. The building of the new houses in 1989 could not widen or alter the existing width of the street as Maurice Jones only bought the factory and community centre sites, not the rights to widen the street!
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bit off topic but Salford council's decision to demolish Langworthy Road School (an excellent Victorian building) kind of shows the contempt our local councils in the North West have for any historic buildings http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7021/langworthy.jpg

http://www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=683
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    • a cyber cafe
    • a knock in shop
    • a female-only gay bar
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they keep the cobbles and the Rovers I wouldn't mind any other changes, even drastic ones like completely changing the 'new' houses across the road.