Options

Christmas Food Shopping ( Panic Stations )

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I always wondered why people only panic buy bread and milk. Theres probably a sensible reason for it i guess, but the last thing id be stocking up on in panic mode would be that. To be stuck indoors in a weather situation, and then stuck with bread and milk, eurgh. Id be stockpiling the frozen Christmas bits, chips and pizzas and that-the fun stuff.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    The enormous wastage whilst god-knows how many people are starving makes me sick.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't understand panic buying milk for christmas, alcohol yes. I'd rather have champagne on my weetabix.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if you think the panic buying is going to be bad this Christmas, I wonder what it will be like in December 2012!!:eek:

Why, what's happening then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can never have too many Brussel Sprouts! :D

I can never understand that. You here so often that loads of people don't like Brussel Sprouts.
    I always find that on my Christmas dinner shopping list it is the sage and onion stuffing that runs out just before Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsTT wrote: »
    Tesco Metro is 24 hours drive away from my door!

Don't panic buy for any reason, but have today stocked up on basics - ****, wine, water and food for the animals. This is an essential annual thing for 'Winter, Up a Mountain, Middle of Nowhere'! Minimum requirement: two weeks supplies; six has been known...

Currently cannot subside rations from the vegetable garden. Cannot get the fork in the soil by 1cm! Rescued the Brussells though!

24hours drive in Britain? How many times do you go round the M25?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shock, horror...how will the nation cope??!!:eek:

Ever heard of freezers? Milk lasts a week in a fridge these days. Buy part-baked bread, nothing like freshly baked bread. For god sake use some gump!:rolleyes:

Are you rolling your eyes at me, young lady?

I have no problem with shops closing, they should close earlier, they should stay closed on bank-holiday, they should open up later. Hell, lets have a lunch break or siesta as well. I am all for it, as I work in retail.
    I don't need milk, as I can't stand the stuff. Don't need bread, as I hardly ever eat bread.
    I pointed out that the shops only close for 39 hours, not even 2 days, and the nation is going stupid.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie wrote: »
    I've seen people dragging round two trolleys, one in each hand before. Really anybody would think the shops are shut for two months not two days, I do find it quite amusing.:D

Perhaps she was having guests or a party. It's not exactly unusual at this time of year.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The enormous wastage whilst god-knows how many people are starving makes me sick.

Isn't it a bit selfish to signal your disgust by joking about being sick? Lots of people would be grateful that they have something in their stomachs to vomit up and you make a joke out of it. It's a tad insensitive. Maybe some starving person is sitting in an internet cafe somewhere deeply upset by this remark.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned in a thread yesterday that i am going to join the 'panic buying' masses.

During the last icy / snowy spell, i didnt worry. I had enough bread at home for a couple of days, I had half a tank of petrol, i had a pint of milk in the fridge. Everything was good ...... until i needed to replace these items.

I live in 'no mans land' and i went to our one and only mini supermarket to buy some bread and milk, and i couldnt buy anything. The shelves were empty.

I then went to buy some petrol as soon as my warning light came on in the car, and our one and only petrol garage was empty.

I will not make the same mistake again. I topped up my car with £20 of petrol last night. I now have enough to last me till the new year. I went to the mini supermarket too, but already they had run out of bread. So - i will go again today and try and buy some. I will put one in the freezer (i wont go mad and buy 20 loaves). I will also get a 4 pint of milk, and freeze one.

Sorry of it offends people, but i am officially panic buying today. I will not be a happy Porcupine if i cant have a turkey sandwich and a hot chocolate on Boxing Day.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I was doing our monthly shop in Sainsbury's on Wednesday evening and I noticed how empty the shelves were . Even the cat litter had run out except the really expensive stuff which I refuse to buy as it's just for the cat to go to the toilet in! We are lucky we have a tesco just down the road from us which is open every day of the year so if we run out it's a short walk. People may have to travel a little bit but there is always a shop open somewhere on Christmas day and boxing day.
  • Options
    ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I was doing our monthly shop in Sainsbury's on Wednesday evening and I noticed how empty the shelves were . Even the cat litter had run out except the really expensive stuff which I refuse to buy as it's just for the cat to go to the toilet in! We are lucky we have a tesco just down the road from us which is open every day of the year so if we run out it's a short walk. People may have to travel a little bit but there is always a shop open somewhere on Christmas day and boxing day.

I think some people might be using cat litter as grit...
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not panic buying, I'm just getting a load of food in so I don't have to go out anywhere for a week!!
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I mentioned in a thread yesterday that i am going to join the 'panic buying' masses.

During the last icy / snowy spell, i didnt worry. I had enough bread at home for a couple of days, I had half a tank of petrol, i had a pint of milk in the fridge. Everything was good ...... until i needed to replace these items.

I live in 'no mans land' and i went to our one and only mini supermarket to buy some bread and milk, and i couldnt buy anything. The shelves were empty.

I then went to buy some petrol as soon as my warning light came on in the car, and our one and only petrol garage was empty.

I will not make the same mistake again. I topped up my car with £20 of petrol last night. I now have enough to last me till the new year. I went to the mini supermarket too, but already they had run out of bread. So - i will go again today and try and buy some. I will put one in the freezer (i wont go mad and buy 20 loaves). I will also get a 4 pint of milk, and freeze one.

Sorry of it offends people, but i am officially panic buying today. I will not be a happy Porcupine if i cant have a turkey sandwich and a hot chocolate on Boxing Day.

But is that all you "panic buy"? Bread and milk?

If I were to do that, which I wont, I would buy proper food! Meat, veg, soups etc......bread I can live without!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But is that all you "panic buy"? Bread and milk?

If I were to do that, which I wont, I would buy proper food! Meat, veg, soups etc......bread I can live without!

Yes, just bread and milk. I have food in the freezer (got my Tesco online delivery last weekend) and i have plenty of tins in the cupboard along with tea / coffee and alcohol :p Its just bread and milk that i havent got.
  • Options
    Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bread mix is what you need. I've got several packets of the stuff, keeps for months, takes up very little cupboard space, just add water and bake. Yum.