Options

money saving tips/suggestions - what are yours??

anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
Forum Member
✭✭✭
over the last couple of years, i have finally got a handle of finances and start saving more than i have before, so it got me thinking, what money saving things do you wish you started earlier, or tips for others

for me the things i wished i did earlier were

1.join a cash back site as all the cash back i earn is fed into savings accounts i have had over £300 paid into my account over the last 18 months (ie www.quidco.com, www.topcashback.co.uk etc)

2. open the halifax reward current accounts (as if you pay in £1000 a month, they pay £5. (luckily i got in there before they stopped new applicants opening 3, so £15 a month extra is fed into a saving account)

3. stop raiding my coin tins, as i used to throw loose change in there before but raid it reguarly lol, now i dont, i bag it up and bank it

4. i would budget for getting the train home from work each night, but more often than not, would get a lift back from dad if he leaves his office the same time, so each time i didnt spend the train fair, i put that in the coin tin and put it into savings accounts.

i would also do this if i didnt buy the newspaper that day or the coffee on way to work etc, what i would have spent was put into a coin tin and then banked when it filled up

5. i opened a christmas saving account last year for this year with and has worked really well. Stops me having to pay for christmas in one go out of novembers/decembers pay check and earns a tiny amount of interest

6. I keep a spending diary for one month every three months to show what i am spending and trends (really opens your eyes as to what you waste money on) the one i use is www.spendingdiary.com

7. i wish i realised that airmiles could be used for things other than air travel sooner - great offers for days out/hotels etc!

8. wish i heard about travel west midlands friends and family offer for pass holders sooner ( £1 day return off peak any where in the network west midlands train area for companions as long as your pass covers those zones)#

9. wish i bought an oyster pass for london travel for when i visit london sooner, saves me fortunes now i dont have to buy day travel cards etc (as are capped by price and also as only payg only use what needed)

what savings ideas do you wish you started sooner

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #1 money saving tip: Don't buy useless crap.
    #2 money saving tip: If you can live for a week without it it's useless crap(*).

(*)Excluding insurance :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Use Bounty kitchen roll as toilet paper, then just rinse it, dry it out and you can re-use it :)
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take packed lunches to work. That alone can save a small fortune.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    anna42hmr wrote: »

3. stop raiding my coin tins, as i used to throw loose change in there before but raid it reguarly lol, now i dont, i bag it up and bank it

How does that save you money? Just costs you time and money going to the bank if anything. What about using coins to tender the correct amount when you buy something, then you can put the coin tins on ebay. :D
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Use Bounty kitchen roll as toilet paper, then just rinse it, dry it out and you can re-use it :)

Good thinking Batman!

I'm going to be watching this thread, the last one on this subject was the funniest that I'd ever read on DS, total entertainment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »

That is perfectly true. And don't buy bottled water, which is EXACTLY THE SAME as the water that comes out of your tap.

Get over the idea that because some garment has an immensely posh label it must look good. I have walked through the designer rooms at Harrods and a lot of the stuff was garishly hideous. If anyone sneers at your high-street clothes they are clearly a moron.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ultimate money saving tip would be to shop online, you'll save £££s.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use charity shops as much as possible for clothing and household items. Some great unused/unwanted gifts can often be found after christmas.

Look out for genuine bargains in supermarkets especially frozen or stuff with a good long shelf life. If fortunate to have a choice of supermarkets then shop around.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention shop lifting. 24 hour supermarkets very rarely have their secuirty cameras manned during the early hours of the morning.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I keep my old christmas cards and cut out the front picture to use as gift tags the next year
  • Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »

thats so true, i used to spend fortunes on buying lunches!
  • Options
    angel.vampangel.vamp Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It cost me a bloody fortune on my daughters packed lunches (still it saves her money )
    Me i've to buy extra grapes , strawberries , raspberries , blueberries , pineapple, pears, apples (got to be granny smiths) oranges bananas , greengages, apricots. get the idea and thats only for her fruit salad. I still to get the yogurts, the wraps, and salad and the chicken too. :p
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get married. ;)
  • Options
    JOEVILLEJOEVILLE Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't buy a car, cars cost a fortune and don't whoosh along roads like they do in the adverts, they mainly sit around doing nothing.
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    since the goverment made cutback's I did some.

ditched sky and got freesat & hd media streamer(get stuff of a news server) and don't miss sky one bit. (saving £30 a month)

stopped doing lottery (£5 a week)

instead of fish & chips 3 times a week, there a treat for my 18 mile walk's(fat tax) fish price went up and got smaller, so just have home made chips/frozen chips and go chippy once a week. (saving about £10 a week)

and for xmas everyone's getting dodgy dvd's (kids love it) & saving a fortune
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Five finger discount has always worked so well for me.
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention shop lifting. 24 hour supermarkets very rarely have their secuirty cameras manned during the early hours of the morning.

& the time you spend in jail for doing this will save you even more money ;):D
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    packed lunches

Ebay for gifts and lots else

Hotukdeals

MoneysavingExpert

Don't buy stuff you don't need (which is a lot)

Well done OP! :)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Forget about buying fizzy pop. Buy 2-litre bottles of concentrated juice and mix up a big tupperware jug to put in the fridge.

Stop drinking pints or bottled beer when you're out.
    A short is way cheaper than a pint and has less calories in it.

When you're buying luxury goods, buy the thing you actually WANT.
    If you want an iPhone or a Leica camera or a Rolex watch, just save your pennies and then BUY the damned thing.
    If you don't you'll buy something cheaper instead and it'll feel good for about a week but then your desire for the original item will return and you will end up spending even more money.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Get sacked from your job and have a kid. The resulting benefits will mean your rent is paid, you can afford Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Get sacked from your job and have a kid. The resulting benefits will mean your rent is paid, you can afford Sky.

and a massive tv! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live alone and one 'trick' I use is to 'recycle' the weekend meat joint for sandwiches during the week. Cold meat plus raw vegetables plus bread plus pickle makes for a decent lunch for little cost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sima wrote: »
    get stuff of a news server
    So you're a freeloading thief?
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angel.vamp wrote: »
    It cost me a bloody fortune on my daughters packed lunches (still it saves her money )
    Me i've to buy extra grapes , strawberries , raspberries , blueberries , pineapple, pears, apples (got to be granny smiths) oranges bananas , greengages, apricots. get the idea and thats only for her fruit salad. I still to get the yogurts, the wraps, and salad and the chicken too. :p

Er, oh no you don't have to buy all that. What makes you you do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I live alone and one 'trick' I use is to 'recycle' the weekend meat joint for sandwiches during the week. Cold meat plus raw vegetables plus bread plus pickle makes for a decent lunch for little cost.

god yes- tastes 1000 times better the 'meat' they put in most pre-packed sandwiches too!