Options

International Cricket Thread Autumn/Winter 2010-2011

Comments

• Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think we had any chance given the way we batted in the 1st and so it proved again. Cook got a straight one but otherwise it was a lamearse effort with the batsmen hanging out bats to nothing balls. I think the way they bat on slightly quicker but bouncy wickets is very interesting because mostly we fail on them !

I'd agree about Bell moving up to try to shore up the middle order although the horse has already bolted at the WACA for england . :rolleyes: It would have been controversial but worth a try to get him in at 4 or 5 but the chance was missed.

Perhaps it's only the relatively unusual conditions that have rocked the batting but I wonder if they can rebuild confidence in the shattered batting in time for the MCG .I gloomily wonder is this the sign of a change in the balance of power and the ashes slipping away through Strauss's fingers or can they limit the ozzie success to only this

:o
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bad-beat wrote: »
    I think the best adjective to describe today's play is "uneventful".

That's not the way it turned out:o

England's batting is certainly not consistent.

Yesterday I was still hopeful. Today I am not.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,909
    Forum Member
    Strauss should just be the better gentleman and say enough is enough, you win, 1-1 and lets move on.
    There is no way we are going to win this or even draw, so what is the point carrying on?

That would give the Aussies every confidence if we didn't try to stop them winning easily. They would say 'yellow bellied Poms not even willing to fight'.

Come on now, we don't give them an inch, the Poms fight on ........ remember 1981. ;) Or perhaps you don't!! :p
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,882
    Forum Member
    Lets hope someone can dig in and save this test... a draw will really be a big win for England !
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    That would give the Aussies every confidence if we didn't try to stop them winning easily. They would say 'yellow bellied Poms not even willing to fight'.

Come on now, we don't give them an inch, the Poms fight on ........ remember 1981. ;) Or perhaps you don't!! :p

I was born in 1984, so I don't remember 1981. :o:o

I don't think it would give them any pscological edge, in fact, I think it would give us the edge, as we would be doing the decisions, and not them, so we would be in control of our of destiny.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't think it would give them any pscological edge, in fact, I think it would give us the edge, as we would be doing the decisions, and not them, so we would be in control of our of destiny.

Just Google 'Headingley 1981' and all will be revealed about that great victory, after following-on and the bookies giving odds on England of 500-1.

We were in a worse losing position then than we are now in this Test. We just need an Ian Botham to belt the bowlers out of the ground. After witnessing that win I could never say 'ohh just give up and surrender' ...... and it really wouldn't be true to the great game to do that either.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps I'm just faint hearted, but i gave up on this game after day 2.........

After 2 nights of staying up and grabbing an hour or two kip on the armchair I though 'sod it, we're getting thrashed'.......so i went to bed at 11.00 pm last night and had 12 hours sleep......

:D
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't quite believe you have posted that???!!??? It would never happen because any team stupid enough to do so would be a laughing stock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Strauss should just be the better gentleman and say enough is enough, you win, 1-1 and lets move on.
    There is no way we are going to win this or even draw, so what is the point carrying on?

BONKERS !! :D

Anyway, Headingley 1981 :

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/engine/match/63291.html

I think Bob Willis still holding a gripe that he didn't get enough credit for his 8 second innings wickets !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm just faint hearted, but i gave up on this game after day 2.........

After 2 nights of staying up and grabbing an hour or two kip on the armchair I though 'sod it, we're getting thrashed'.......so i went to bed at 11.00 pm last night and had 12 hours sleep......

That's one positive out of a whole match and thousands of fans., oh and Tremlett too.:) Great comeback.

My sleep pattern was knackered over past 3 nights and only a couple of oz wickets fell as I listened.:mad: pointless

Anyway I'm having an early night and dreams of Bell scoring 200 by tea and then Cheryl Cole standing in for the queen knights him on the pitch ( and a few other things too )
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 218,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let the Aussies have their moment in this one

Perth has hardly been a good hunting ground for England anyway

All it will do is just paper over a few small cracks of a basically average Australian team

Hopefully a win for England in Melbourne and a draw in Sydney should see England home

Still it will be good to get back to a midnight start on Boxing Day
  • Options
    tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly Tremletts michelle is not going to count in his favour as the match will be lost. Sorry Tremlett, you can take a few more michelles, Broady will take your place anyway as soon as he wags the finger at the selectors. Enjoy it while you are allowed to.

Similarly Swanny can spend another few test series with hardly any contribution (other than his silly grins and readily laughing at all the big boys jokes) and he will still be safe. Sorry Panesar, you will have to carry drinks now mate. There is no room in the inn.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I would put Bell up the order above Collingwood and possibly above Pietersen too.

I am a huge Colly fan but would agree that he is only keeping his place for his fielding (he has got to be the best in the world) and as a useful backup bowler. However, Bell does deserve to be promoted up the order above him.
  • Options
    tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I am a huge Colly fan but would agree that he is only keeping his place for his fielding (he has got to be the best in the world) and as a useful backup bowler. However, Bell does deserve to be promoted up the order above him.

After Styris, one of the nicest cricketers on the circuit. A true grafter. Who will replace him...out of form Morgan?
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Colly will get a hundred at MCG as he always seems to when his place appears to be in trouble. Not that I believe he'll be dropped anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BONKERS !! :D

Anyway, Headingley 1981 :

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/engine/match/63291.html

I think Bob Willis still holding a gripe that he didn't get enough credit for his 8 second innings wickets !

I still remember him storming in at the Aussies, every ball was a bomb, and they didn't know what had hit them. :D

He was as much of a hero as Botham in that match. :)
  • Options
    McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a right fat sleep and will probably have nothing to watch after an hour or so....typical. On the bright side is that the longer we are kept up the closer we might be to achieving something from this game...highly doubtful but we should never write off an England team on the brink of defeat.

We need just over 300 or something don't we, and what's the situation with the ball at the moment? I went to bed when Strauss got knocked out and vaguely remember Trott being gone as well. Weird thing was is that I said to myself...knowing us we would of had lost 5 wickets by now and didn't I hate being correct then :(

So Bell and Prior and possibly Swann are our last hopes really which we know they can get good scores. Bell has a massive point to prove to fight his way up that order, Prior is more than capable and Swann will feel he has a point to prove after yesterdays bowling...he didn't seem himself at all which could be a good thing for us.

So I still have not given hope (as always) the remaining batsmen should have it drilled in there heads that just over 300 runs could have us retain The Ashes.

Play straight, don't take silly shots and don't let them wind you up with the awful sledging they do, we can't help it that they are not intelligent enough to have good banter without being abusive :rolleyes:

We have time, use it to our advantage and grind,wear them down.

Any news on Punter? Last I heard is he could miss the rest of the series.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect Colly could head for international retirement 2012 but his place to me is secure for 2011.

He is still versatile and so many others have only contributed on placid slow wickets.
    I guess we did need Bresnan for the same reason I've in the past wanted Rashid given a try,
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McLovin85 wrote: »
    Any news on Punter? Last I heard is he could miss the rest of the series.

Sounds like he could be out for the rest of the series. Mind you, if he wasn't captain he'd be struggling to keep his place based on his batting form.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Darn. That was quite bright, NOT, nightwatchman Anderson didn't run for a single off the second last ball to get Collingwood off strike and inevitably. Cheers James

OK, no doubt doesn't matter, but...::(

Looks like Anderson himself has acknowledged it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/8211641/The-Ashes-2010-James-Anderson-left-to-rue-missed-single-which-ultimately-cost-Paul-Collingwood-and-England.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    He was as much of a hero as Botham in that match. :)
    The main hero for me. Botham's innings was a brilliant 'last hurrah' but it was Bob Willis and his 8 wicket spell that won it.

The hype seemed puzzling at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Ruddy eck. Disjointed or what?

His mind is all over the place as probably expected considering the baby and all.
    Refreshing to know it is him and not some platitudal writer.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Lets hope someone can dig in and save this test... a draw will really be a big win for England !

If we can bat for 6 more sessions we will have won.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The main hero for me. Botham's innings was a brilliant 'last hurrah' but it was Bob Willis and his 8 wicket spell that won it.

The hype seemed puzzling at the time.

As I vaguely recall Botham was the hero of the Monday and Willis enjoyed the majority of the plaudits on Tuesday. The rest is history, legend and marketing .;):D

A stroke of luck for me was missing the first 3 1/2 days for some reason ( can't recall ) but I watched the last 2 - 3 sessions with heart in mouth. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    If we can bat for 6 more sessions we will have won.

It's frustrating because if we could have hung on and occupied the crease and then crawled along at a stately Boycott / Tavaresque rate of 65 runs a session we would have walked this. :(
This discussion has been closed.