Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Blackpool's game is off, yet Fleetwood of the Conference can get their game on a few miles down the road, that makes sense :rolleyes:
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,603
    Forum Member
    WBA v Wolves off tomorrow.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,117
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    WBA v Wolves off tomorrow.

That rules out any chance of Sky showing that game instead then.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    PL: "Let's have a winter break in the Premier League"

Clubs: "Let's not: we haven't got time to fit in all the fixtures"

PL: "Then split the league into two. Also, have minimum entry requirements like undersoil heating and secure financial footing"

Clubs: "But it'll ruin "the promotion dream" for clubs like Blackpool"

PL:"No it won't, because they'd still be able to get promoted"

Clubs: "But why change tradition, why change something that works so well?"

PL: "It's not traditional, traditional is playing games in snow with a yellow ball."

Clubs: "Bah, humbug".

The derby at the Hawthorns is off. And it's just started to snow at Portman Road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I swear Paul Merson's face has lost weight.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    That rules out any chance of Sky showing that game instead then.

There was never any chance of Sky showing that game instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    The referee could have called the match off at any time up to kick off.
    Yes, but on the basis that fans faced a multiple-hour journey to get there, it'd be only good-natured to call it off as far in advance as possible.
    There was never any chance of Sky showing that game instead.
    Why not?
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    PL: "Let's have a winter break in the Premier League"

Clubs: "Let's not: we haven't got time to fit in all the fixtures"

PL: "Then split the league into two. Also, have minimum entry requirements like undersoil heating and secure financial footing"

Clubs: "But it'll ruin "the promotion dream" for clubs like Blackpool"

PL:"No it won't, because they'd still be able to get promoted"

Clubs: "But why change tradition, why change something that works so well?"

PL: "It's not traditional, traditional is playing games in snow with a yellow ball."

Clubs: "Bah, humbug".

which side of the argument do you agree with
  • Options
    Forum Member
    which side of the argument do you agree with

Today, the Premier League. ;)

Most days, I can see reason for both sides, although I'd always keep FA Cup 3rd Round weekend in place if a winter break came in. I do think we're laughed at by the likes of Germany on days like today.
  • Options
    TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today, the Premier League. ;)

Most days, I can see reason for both sides, although I'd always keep FA Cup 3rd Round weekend in place if a winter break came in. I do think we're laughed at by the likes of Germany on days like today.
    Yes, because it always snows the weekend before Christmas and never in January or February - or does it?. Exactly when would you have this winter break? Our weather is so unpredictable you could end up with a break in mild weather and more breaks if conditions get like today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, because it always snows the weekend before Christmas and never in January or February - or does it?. Exactly when would you have this winter break? Our weather is so unpredictable you could end up with a break in mild weather and more breaks if conditions get like today.

A winter break would never work. No good having a 4 week break for example, but 2 weeks of weather like this either side of it, leaving some teams with more like an 8 or 9 week break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tim Caple commentating on the World Club Cup Final.

EDIT: Simon Thomas is presenting is presenting the live coverage of Ipswich vs. Leicester with James Scowcroft (yeah, him) and Peter Beagrie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ipswich v Leicester

Simon Thomas with Peter Beagrie and James Scowcroft.
  • Options
    Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MOTD and The Football League show both reduced to an hour.

MOTD starts at 10.25pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Red Devil wrote: »
    MOTD and The Football League show both reduced to an hour.

MOTD starts at 10.25pm.

Surprised at MOTD still being an hour, but no particular complaints, though obviously they'll need to make some schedule changes. Bit surprised at the FLS being an hour too, given there's only been 9 games this weekend. Obviously they'll have to put something in tomorrow night in place of MOTD2 as well, just as Sky will for their 2 live games tomorrow which have been postponed.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim Caple commentating on the World Club Cup Final.

...with Craig Burley by the sound of it.

I presume John Helm is on the World Feed?
    Bit surprised at the FLS being an hour too, given there's only been 9 games this weekend.

They have been fortunate in a number of those games having OB coverage though.
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,827
    Forum Member
    Bit surprised at the FLS being an hour too, given there's only been 9 games this weekend.

Not really, they are used to dragging things out pointlessly long on that programme. I'd have been surprised if it was less than an hour.
    ...with Craig Burley by the sound of it.

It's Scott Booth.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 18th December - Bundesliga

World Feed/Bwin/Bet365

Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Dortmund - Alex Sisto
    St. Pauli v Mainz 05 - Gary Preston

A slight correction from last night's post: Angus Torode was alongisde Tony Jeffers at Monchengladbach v Hamburg for the international version of Eurosport 2 yesterday. Torode and Jeffers are currently commentating on St. Pauli v Mainz for Eurosport 2.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,553
    Forum Member
    Sunderland v Bolton International Feed
    Gary Taphouse & Gary O'Reilly

Ian Darke and Stewart Robson there for ESPN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even if the conditions get far worse at Portman Road, I can't see it being abandoned personally, not with Ipswich 3-0 up. That's just my gut feeling anyway. Makes it more difficult for officials in my opinion if a team is winning, especially if they're winning 3-0. Anyone know when the last live Sky game that was abandoned was, and the reason?
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,703
    Forum Member
    Saturday 18th December - Bundesliga

World Feed/Bwin/Bet365

Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Dortmund - Alex Sisto
    St. Pauli v Mainz 05 - Gary Preston

A slight correction from last night's post: Angus Torode was alongisde Tony Jeffers at Monchengladbach v Hamburg for the international version of Eurosport 2 yesterday. Torode and Jeffers are currently commentating on St. Pauli v Mainz for Eurosport 2.

I watched Frankfurt v Borussia Dortmund on Eurosport 2 earlier. Do you know who the commentators were? Angus Torode was one of them I think.
  • Options
    johnnylogicjohnnylogic Posts: 1,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the conditions get far worse at Portman Road, I can't see it being abandoned personally, not with Ipswich 3-0 up. That's just my gut feeling anyway. Makes it more difficult for officials in my opinion if a team is winning, especially if they're winning 3-0. Anyone know when the last live Sky game that was abandoned was, and the reason?

A couple of Monday Night Football games went due to 'floodlight failure' during the 1997/98 season (Wimbledon v Arsenal and West Ham v Crystal Palace).

And an FA Cup fifth-round tie between Nottingham Forest and Tottenham succumbed to a blizzard in February 1996.

Can't think of any since then, but I'm sure someone out there can put me right!
  • Options
    RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't a live Scottish game go in that way last season?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ignore
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »
    I watched Frankfurt v Borussia Dortmund on Eurosport 2 earlier. Do you know who the commentators were? Angus Torode was one of them I think.

I didn't see any of their Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Dortmund coverage today, but at a guess I would say Angus was probably joined by Tony Jeffers.

I say this as the latest message on the Eurosport 2 Bundesliga Facebook page detailing their coverage only mentions Angus, Tony and Andreas Evagora as being involving in today's coverage. I'm guessing Angus and Tony did both live games with Andreas commentating on the Wolfsburg v Hoffenheim highlights during the hour in between. That would seem the most likely scenario.

Out of interest, was Angus the main commentator or summariser? I ask this as Tony was doing the commentary with Angus being his co-commentator on Friday night, but the roles were reserved for St. Pauli v Mainz.
This discussion has been closed.