Options

Terry Wogan Calls for BBC Slimming Down

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
Forum Member
✭✭
Veteran broadcaster Terry Wogan has called on the BBC to slim down and stop spending so much money on new building projects.

Speaking yesterday to Richard Bacon on his Radio 5 Live show, Wogan claimed that the BBC is rapidly becoming the "British Building Corporation". He also said that there are too many services operated by the corporation that should be axed.

"The problem with the BBC frankly is it's got too big. It's got a bit unwieldy, there are far too many people employed to keep this big machine going. It might be better if there was a bit of slimming down," Wogan said.
Wogan criticises BBC building projects - DS News

More and more people are criticising the spending at the BBC.

No doubt, he'll also be deemed "anti-BBC", just as posters here who express the same views, but it's good to see him speaking up about this and question that the BBC is getting too much money and how the BBC spends the money.

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, buildings are needed and some in London are no longer fit for purpose. London real estate costs, as do the costs of building.

There was also this part that you did not comment upon:
    Wogan said that it was "inevitable" that the BBC was going to expand, but the organisation has now "outgrown its strength". However, he stressed that there should never be a day when the principle of a licence fee-funded BBC is abandoned.

"I don't ever want this country to abandon the principle of the BBC, of a licence fee, because as [former BBC chairman] Michael Grade said years ago, it's the BBC that keeps everybody else straight," he said.

"If the BBC ever abandons the idea of the BBC it'll be a very sad day. It would be terrible. I do want the BBC as the greatest broadcaster of its time to continue. I wouldn't like to see it being dismantled or take away part of the licence fee to support some other broadcaster. Let's try and keep the BBC."

mossy2103
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    The BBC is cutting back! (as you well know)

But whatever they do, you'll not be happy.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im not sure what point he is trying to make, ok so the BBC has a few building projects on the go, the major one, was forced up on them by the previous government, and the drama centre in Cardiff is being built to meet demand, but the BBC being what it is, is going to have to own some buildings, some of them will HAVE to be in London as well.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member

No doubt, he'll also be deemed "anti-BBC", just as posters here who express the same views, but it's good to see him speaking up about this and question that the BBC is getting too much money and how the BBC spends the money.

well wogan we pay for it
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    A shame they did not start the slimming down with Wogan's salary.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,035
    Forum Member

Where does he say that the BBC is getting too much money?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does he say that the BBC is getting too much money?
    I don't believe that it does .... strange that slomo posted that bit, he must have been mistaken.
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy for him to say once he's left.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like Wogan, but this smacks of "I've made my money, so sod everyone else who's still trying to make a career there". Same with Mark Byford and his amazing wig, on Newswatch. He was asked about whether he thought the changes at the BBC were right, but he had a glint in his eye that said, "I've got £1m pay-off and I'm happy!!"

Total farce.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Sorry, why does it matter what he thinks any more than anybody else?
    emmetmcl wrote: »

When did he leave?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Given the known facts that the BBC had to move it's a pointless thread IMO and also the title, perhaps you should ask for a section in the forum dedicated to building projects :D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emmetmcl wrote: »
    not 100% true, he does of course do Children In Need, and he does have a weekend show on Radio 2, but it isnt all year round.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the heck does Wogan know?

White CIty was an attempt to get most facilities into just one site, for example the abaondoned Maida Vale, Langham Hotel, etc .....

Moving some depts to Manchester is a sincere attempt to "spead the jobs around" - so decreasing London-centricity - and may be cheaper in the long run .........
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Terry Wogan Calls for BBC Slimming Down.
    Perhaps he is getting his own back on the BBC for asking him to slim down ;)

Seriously it does seem a bit rich coming from someone who was allegedly paid £800,000pa to act as a disc jockey.
  • Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ant chance you could bother yourself to answer the questions I put to you in post 113 of the Young Fishmonger Of the Year thread you fled from before trying to whip up a new storm in this one?

No, thought not., trolls don't have such courtesy..
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    A shame they did not start the slimming down with Wogan's salary.

Spot on.

Why did he not say this in 1988 when he was, if not the highest, certainly amongst the highest paid presenters there?

He waits until he is in semi retirement, after having pocketed millions & millions to pipe up about the Beeb being too big.

Well done Terry!:mad:
  • Options
    LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on.

Why did he not say this in 1988 when he was, if not the highest, certainly amongst the highest paid presenters there?

He waits until he is in semi retirement, after having pocketed millions & millions to pipe up about the Beeb being too big.

Well done Terry!:mad:
    In 1998 the BBC weren't building in Manchester or in London, though, were they? This is a point that has a case to be made now.

The reason Terry was commenting on this was because he was asked in a radio interview. I was listening in the car and he was on to promote his compilation album, and Richard Bacon simply asked him his view on the BBC - he described it as the "greatest broadcaster in the world".
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're all getting your knickers in a twist for nothing!:rolleyes: What TW said was "Bring back Fight the Flab!":cool:
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I think he only said something along the lines of what his own management have said so I don't know what the problem is. I suppose he could be accused of being a bit 'rich' given his earnings over the years which have probably made him a very wealthy man

What he said is going to happen anyway whether the BBC like it or not, end of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    What he said is going to happen anyway whether the BBC like it or not, end of.

And never mind whether it be right or wrong.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's the latest to be critical of the BBC after leaving, and while his points are a valid basis for debate, I am sceptical of him. I don't think he mentioned how much loot he got from the BBC, which is also a valid point as some took his pay as a prime example of the BBC becoming a 'let's pay as much licence payers money to our celebs as we can.'
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Surprised Terry didnt give his views when he was getting paid megabucks presenting a daily BBC Radio show or was getting paid vast amounts to commentate on Eurovision or even getting paid to do a BBC charity show. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,035
    Forum Member
    mRebel
    He's the latest to be critical of the BBC after leaving,

He hasn't left the BBC.
    and while his points are a valid basis for debate,

Well lets debate away.

Do you think the BBC should not be spending money on these new buildings, bare in mind TV Centre will eventually close, the building up north was forced on the by the government.

Do you think it is all too expensive, what alternatives were there for the BBC to take.

I am sceptical of him. I don't think he mentioned how much loot he got from the BBC, which is also a valid point as some took his pay as a prime example of the BBC becoming a 'let's pay as much licence payers money to our celebs as we can

Do you have proof of this 'let's pay as much licence payers money to our celebs as we can' ethos. By the way just saying Jonathan Ross inst debate unless you can keep on going with a very very long list after that. Look forward to it.

Wogan's salary is irrelevant as he is talking about BBC money being spent on buildings and not on talent, although its easy to tar every talent with the now much maligned phrase 'celeb'. What wage should on of the most regarded radio/tv presenters be on? Who's radio show was the most listened to in the country.

The whole Wogan's wage is a nice, but pretty dumb, side step by those that have nothing to say about the issue at hand and on Wogan's comments about new BBC buildings.

Or is it what it is, a lame DS piece of news, along with juicy headline (notice the head line isnt 'Wogans Supports Lisence Fee' strange that isn't it??) piss poor cut and paste internet journalist designed to spoon feed moronic threads by the same old same old posters that need things like this to form their own opinion. Posters that have not even discussed the issues but have just nodded their head at hilariously bad DS shock headline tabloid guff.

Debate...I'll look forward to it and your alternative suggestions and costings as the debate certainly isn't going to come from Slo Mo.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    And never mind whether it be right or wrong.

The Home Office have announced a 14% cut in real terms over the next four years to the Police budget. With that in mind I have a hunch a lot of people might think a 16% cut in real terms over 6 years to the BBC budget is quite realistic, their management do.

Also radio listeners in cities like Edinburgh and Glasgow may well be unhappy with the fact that from 2014 part of the Licence Fee will be used to fund the World Service when they don't even have their own local BBC radio services which I personally find staggering and should be scrutinised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    The Home Office have announced a 14% cut in real terms over the next four years to the Police budget. With that in mind I have a hunch a lot of people might think a 16% cut in real terms over 6 years to the BBC budget is quite realistic, their management do.

Also radio listeners in cities like Edinburgh and Glasgow may well be unhappy with the fact that from 2014 part of the Licence Fee will be used to fund the World Service when they don't even have their own local BBC radio services which I personally find staggering and should be scrutinised.

The Police cuts are all wrong though, in fact many of this government's cuts are wrong.

Cutting the BBC is wrong also - Particularly as the reasons for doing so are only to satisfy the commercial sector, who will NOT provide all that the BBC does, and will cost the viewer more.