Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that news bulletins should be full length until half way through the day on Christmas Eve.

Panorama is a bit of an odd one though. On one hand, such a stuffy old brand shouldn't be having an hour long special during Christmas week. On the other hand the content about supermarkets sounds like low brow tosh that shouldn't be airing under the Panorama brand at any time of the year and should really be left to someone like Jonathan Maitland or Martin Lewis as part of Tonight on ITV1.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    It could be budgeting issues - because of the extra episodes in siege week and anniversary week they're dropping regular episodes here and there to make up for it.

The lack of episodes during the World Cup made up for there being extra episodes in Siege Week (or Week and a Half).
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good to see ITV being unafraid to screen less Corrie than usual - it's unfortunate the BBC see the need for extra EastEnders over Christmas.

Oh, and I see C4 up to their tricks of signing up people who are past it on other channels, the latest being Jimmy Doherty:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/21/jimmy-doherty-channel-4

Of stars "poached" in recent years I'd say only Heston Blumenthal and earlier Jamie Oliver were a worthwhile investment. The others were either pretty much developed by C4 (notably Gordon Ramsey) or poached long after their prime with no real show to go too (Ruth Watson, the shop woman!)
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The lack of episodes during the World Cup made up for there being extra episodes in Siege Week (or Week and a Half).

True, I'd forgotten about the World Cup taking away episodes.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    Earlier in the year they were ahead of episodes and adding in extra sunday showings if you care to cast your mind back
    Brekkie wrote: »
    It's good to see ITV being unafraid to screen less Corrie than usual - it's unfortunate the BBC see the need for extra EastEnders over Christmas.

Oh, and I see C4 up to their tricks of signing up people who are past it on other channels, the latest being Jimmy Doherty:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/21/jimmy-doherty-channel-4

Of stars "poached" in recent years I'd say only Heston Blumenthal and earlier Jamie Oliver were a worthwhile investment. The others were either pretty much developed by C4 (notably Gordon Ramsey) or poached long after their prime with no real show to go too (Ruth Watson, the shop woman!)
    Why Not?
    ITV show corrie quite a lot all year around and whille EastEnders is only shown 4 times a week they have NO other extra episodes apart from Christmas (the 25th week did of course) and any special Hour-longs they have just make up for a missed episode.
    I can't remember the last time EastEnders was shown Mon-Fri for a special week
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Great ratings for the soaps last night.

Eastenders is a lot better than it has been I haven't really had a problem with the quality to be honest. Corrie is just having big storylines after the anniversairy episode. I suspect EE to make great ratings over christmas and new year. Tonights episode was great. I think tonights could do very well again hopefully over ten million!
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Earlier in the year they were ahead of episodes and adding in extra sunday showings if you care to cast your mind back

those were episodes displaced by football
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to ask: As Accidental Farmer is a load of crap, why have the BBC Scheduling Dimwits chosen to burn it off over Christmas and not in July or August?

A glance at the thread for show reveals how difficult it is to get new series off the ground-somebody switched off after 2 minutes with others shortly after.
    In my opinion it may not be the greatest hour of tv, but it certainly isnt crap. There is potential but you have to get to know the characters. Precious little patience about these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or was The Savoy originally scheduled as 3 episodes? :confused: I'm sure it was, but can't find it on ITV Press Centre?
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that ITV was supposed to leave slots free to allow BBC1 to develop hits?

Maybe BBC1 should reduce the run of Holby City so ITV can have a better run on a Tuesday night?

There is also early Sunday evening which is strangled by BBC1 airing Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow all year round, this was the slot that Last of the Summer Wine used to use for years

Also early on a Saturday evening used to be a comedy slot, but is now mostly used for Total Wipeout repeats

Why does all pre-watershed comedy have to air pre-watershed anyway? If they had kept the Friday night comedy slot they would have had to commission 100 half hour shows to fill 9-10pm per year, they are often incapable of even that, resorting to Live at the Apollo repeats far too often. Miranda could go there.
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    If they were good enough it wouldnt be a problem. I dont like to be churlish at Chrismas but this is just sour grapes.

Predictable responses from these two, of course. :rolleyes:

I only made a statement of fact - that until not that long ago, BBC1 could, and did, launch new programming (not always sitcoms) on audiences and cultivate hit shows (many fondly remembered) by scheduling them after EastEnders on Mondays and Thursdays, and more recently on Fridays.

But ITV didn't like that. So they wrapped EmFm and Coro St round every ep of EE instead.

Nothing controversial in any of these statements - they are all basic statements of fact, totally uncontrovertible.

As for George's "if they were good enough" comment - well, couldn't you say the same about ITV? If its schedule of programmes was good enough for most of the year to bring in viewers, why would they need to wrap multiple episodes of EmFm and Coro round EE every week to drag viewers back from BBC1?
  • Options
    PJMillarPJMillar Posts: 3,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Having looked back on BARB, only one episode of Lewis has started at 8.30pm. That was the first episode of the latest series which also was the most watched episode of the series. All episodes prior to that ran 9-11pm.

A combination of both I think. In 2008 it was: DOI, Wild at Heart, DOI, Kingdom/Lewis. In 2009 it was: DOI, Wild at Heart, DOI, Piers Morgan.

Yep that would probably be fine. But how would you fit 2 dramas into that because DOI would run 6.30-8pm, Wild at Heart 8-9pm, DOI 9-9.30pm... another drama would have to finish by 10.30pm but the allocated no. of ads would be done by 10pm.

Although I'd like to see the DOI lead-in used better, I don't think from a business point of view, ITV would do what you're suggesting. They would probably have to have 2-3 fewer sets of ad breaks during the 9pm drama or fewer adverts earlier in the evening (same problem essentially). As a one-off it could be okay but if they're losing 2-3 potential ad breaks every week for an expensive drama, that's a lot of money lost.

I don't think ITV have used the "Monday Night Thriller" brand in at least 18 months. I know there's been plenty of dramas airing on Mondays but I haven't seen them branded as that - they've simply been dramas which have aired on Mondays, most of which have been under the "Drama Premieres" tagline. I'm sure there'll be dramas back on Mondays after The Biggest Loser is over.
    Predictable responses from these two, of course. :rolleyes:

I only made a statement of fact - that until not that long ago, BBC1 could, and did, launch new programming (not always sitcoms) on audiences and cultivate hit shows (many fondly remembered) by scheduling them after EastEnders on Mondays and Thursdays, and more recently on Fridays.

But ITV didn't like that. So they wrapped EmFm and Coro St round every ep of EE instead.

Nothing controversial in any of these statements - they are all basic statements of fact, totally uncontrovertible.

As for George's "if they were good enough" comment - well, couldn't you say the same about ITV? If its schedule of programmes was good enough for most of the year to bring in viewers, why would they need to wrap multiple episodes of EmFm and Coro round EE every week to drag viewers back from BBC1?

It's dirty tactics from ITV, and I think some posters forget that. Perhaps there's scope for the Monday double, but certainly not the Friday double which was against family-friendly TV on BBC One, i.e. sitcoms.

There needs to be more co-operation, so the main two broadcasters can work together to consolidate their audience and to find alternatives to each other on some nights - as evidence suggests that viewers really do still resonate with the old BBC v ITV viewing mentality.

There has been talk of this, but by allowing their opposite number play to their strengths on some nights, it will improve BBC One and ITV1 in the long-term.

Here's an example - it may cost quite a bit of money for ITV to air two-hour drama repeats, but it's always been quite valuable in audiences when aired on Friday nights - often pulling in 4m+ audiences for Midsomer Murders and A Touch of Frost - it seemed Rebus repeats were rating nearly as well if not better than the originals!

Meanwhile, BBC One has always succeeded with family-friendly sitcoms at 8.30pm, followed by Have I Got News For You, followed by more comedy - this should be restored, with a chatshow at 10.35pm as always.

Peter Fincham needs to understand that, if the BBC opt to cooperate with ITV, it will take something like this - which I don't think would be too much of a disaster for ITV because:-

- Friday viewing has always been lower than the rest of the week
    - Coronation Street often has a lowish audience at 8.30pm as a consequence, and producers will want viewers to stick with the show all week.
    - Entertainment does not perform well there, and while Paul O'Grady fetched some consistently average ratings, it was far from spectacular and he would probably pick that up on a Thursday at the same time - furthermore it can't run all year round.

BBC One might then compromise with ITV on Monday nights, with the latter being able to air crime dramas against high-brow factual programmes (Attenborough, Cox, etc) on BBC One, or more fluffy family dramas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PJMillar wrote: »
    It's dirty tactics from ITV, and I think some posters forget that. Perhaps there's scope for the Monday double, but certainly not the Friday double which was against family-friendly TV on BBC One, i.e. sitcoms.

There needs to be more co-operation, so the main two broadcasters can work together to consolidate their audience and to find alternatives to each other on some nights - as evidence suggests that viewers really do still resonate with the old BBC v ITV viewing mentality.

There has been talk of this, but by allowing their opposite number play to their strengths on some nights, it will improve BBC One and ITV1 in the long-term.

Here's an example - it may cost quite a bit of money for ITV to air two-hour drama repeats, but it's always been quite valuable in audiences when aired on Friday nights - often pulling in 4m+ audiences for Midsomer Murders and A Touch of Frost - it seemed Rebus repeats were rating nearly as well if not better than the originals!

Meanwhile, BBC One has always succeeded with family-friendly sitcoms at 8.30pm, followed by Have I Got News For You, followed by more comedy - this should be restored, with a chatshow at 10.35pm as always.

Peter Fincham needs to understand that, if the BBC opt to cooperate with ITV, it will take something like this - which I don't think would be too much of a disaster for ITV because:-

- Friday viewing has always been lower than the rest of the week
    - Coronation Street often has a lowish audience at 8.30pm as a consequence, and producers will want viewers to stick with the show all week.
    - Entertainment does not perform well there, and while Paul O'Grady fetched some consistently average ratings, it was far from spectacular and he would probably pick that up on a Thursday at the same time - furthermore it can't run all year round.

BBC One might then compromise with ITV on Monday nights, with the latter being able to air crime dramas against high-brow factual programmes (Attenborough, Cox, etc) on BBC One, or more fluffy family dramas?

Maybe BBC1 should go off air on Monday, Wednesday, Friday; ITV1 go off air Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and they'll take alternative Sunday's? Competition is not allowed...

Seriously - Miranda, The One Show and The Nativity have all shown that good shows work against the soaps. If the channels put thought and effort into each programme its opposition shouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh by the way - there's no Coronation Street or Emmerdale post EastEnders on Tuesday. So tell me...do BBC1 use that slot to air new and imaginative programmes using the EastEnders lead in?
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh by the way - there's no Coronation Street or Emmerdale post EastEnders on Tuesday. So tell me...do BBC1 use that slot to air new and imaginative programmes using the EastEnders lead in?

I think the BBC would be taking a risk changing that Tuesday slot. It's kind of like the situation with The Bill, only it's a higher rating program (don't move or change it as it's doing a fine job). My hunch is that if the Beeb removed Holby City from Tuesdays and started airing comedies there instead, ITV would soon notice there was no longer a rival soap and move Coronation Street into that Tuesday slot. Even just a short Holby break would give Coronation Street time to get established and it would be the end of 5m-6m for Holby.

I'm a big supporter of using the Wednesday 7:30pm slot for pre-watershed comedy. It has a fairly strong One Show lead-in, during which they can flag up the new comedy, and usually rubbish filler or football intro chat as competition. I think the fact that a rubbish show like Life Of Riley can get 5 million + in that slot, shows that something good like Miranda should do very well there (but don't do it in the summer).

....................................................................................

By the way I seem to recall someone posting in this thread about an ITV retooling of the architecture that would affect Emmerdale and Coronation Street, said to be coming in the New Year. Did we hear anything further about that?
    I can't remember who it was and it was only a rumor I think.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Miranda has a strong chance to move to BBC One but it's up to Miranda and whether she want it to remain on Two or become a monster hit by moving to One. A lot of shows that move to BBC One tend to made by indies like Masterchef which is made by Shine, Apprentice is talkbackTHAMES, Royle Family is ITV Studios.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    I think the BBC would be taking a risk changing that Tuesday slot. It's kind of like the situation with The Bill, only it's a higher rating program (don't move or change it as it's doing a fine job). My hunch is that if the Beeb removed Holby City from Tuesdays and started airing comedies there instead, ITV would soon notice there was no longer a rival soap and move Coronation Street into that Tuesday slot. Even just a short Holby break would give Coronation Street time to get established and it would be the end of 5m-6m for Holby.

I'm a big supporter of using the Wednesday 7:30pm slot for pre-watershed comedy. It has a fairly strong One Show lead-in, during which they can flag up the new comedy, and usually rubbish filler or football intro chat as competition. I think the fact that a rubbish show like Life Of Riley can get 5 million + in that slot, shows that something good like Miranda should do very well there (but don't do it in the summer).

Which is fair enough, but then the finger can't then be pointed (by others) at ITV for not allowing BBC1 the slot 'they' want for shows.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,770
    Forum Member
    Which is fair enough, but then the finger can't then be pointed (by others) at ITV for not allowing BBC1 the slot 'they' want for shows.
    No channel should get the right to pick what slot they want for their shows but ITV have monopolised the pre-watershed schedule and taken away any positive effect of an Eastenders lead-in.

The way ITV schedules its soaps gives BBC1 very few slots to launch pre-watershed shows without facing big competition, as such they dont really bother which is a shame for non-soap fans.
  • Options
    Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    I'm so pleased to see Corrie get those sort of numbers again and deservedly so as the quality has went way up this month.

Also very good for The Simpsons on getting 2.6m!

Agreed.

Corrie is the only soap I watch but I know quite a few people who'd stopped watching ages ago. After the Tram week however they're all gripped again and it looks as though others have followed suit and are sticking with it. Great to see and fully deserved:)
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 9pm Accidental Farmer 4.6m (17.7%)
    BBC2 9.05pm Oz and Hugh Raise the Bar 2m (8%)

Five 8pm The Princess and the Press 834,440 (3.2%)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised Accidental Farmer did well, although percentage share shows 26m were watching in the 9pm.

Poor for Oz and Hugh considering the lead-in. Possibly suggests Top Gear didn't do that well.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,592
    Forum Member
    a bit late, but what the heck

Emmers - 7.39m
    EE - 10.1m
    Holby - 6.37m
    Accidental Farmer - 4.58m
    The Savoy - 4m
    Celeb Come Dine - 2.4m
    HO - 1.21m
    Jamie Xmas - 2.11m
    Neighbours - 1.24m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a bit late, but what the heck

Emmers - 7.39m
    EE - 10.1m
    Holby - 6.37m
    Accidental Farmer - 4.58m
    The Savoy - 4m
    Celeb Come Dine - 2.4m
    HO - 1.21m
    Jamie Xmas - 2.11m
    Neighbours - 1.24m

Bang on in my prediction for The Savoy even if it lost its slot.

Do you know how The Nativity and Top Gear did? For the latter, you may have to use the breakdown as it ran from 8pm to 9:15pm. :)

Emmerdale a bit down suggests The Nativity dented it a tad. Very good for EastEnders and Holby.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TG obviously bombed then given those Holby figures. Surprising - it was well promoted, but it wasn't on its usual night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bang on in my prediction for The Savoy even if it lost its slot.

Do you know how The Nativity and Top Gear did? For the latter, you may have to use the breakdown as it ran from 8pm to 9:15pm. :)

Emmerdale a bit down suggests The Nativity dented it a tad. Very good for EastEnders and Holby.

Nativity - 4.8m
    TG - 5.35m (won slot for last 15mins)

breakdown
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TG obviously bombed then given those Holby figures. Surprising - it was well promoted, but it wasn't on its usual night.

you jumped the gun there :)
This discussion has been closed.