The Gadget Show - brought to you by Apple

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vallhund wrote: »
    And that is code for 'you still don't get it'. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should add that to Feng Shui, Astrology and Homeopathy.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Only for being overpriced and proprietary,

The iPad is a whole new ballgame.
    Revolutionary and magical is certainly code for 'WTF is this'.
    Yes it is overpriced and propriety. But they have successfully reignited mass consumer interest in tablets, where all others before have tried and failed. There's plenty room in the market for cheaper Android devices, especially once ChromeOS comes out, now that people interested in buying them. It's win win for all manufacturers. The netbook market is saturated now ,time for manufacturers to adapt to demand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I do get is that an Apple product is very much a 'look at me' device.
    Look at me meaning 'look at my wealth, I have style'.

It has to do absolutely nothing to achieve that being a youth orientated iconic brand.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member

It has to do absolutely nothing to achieve that being a youth orientated iconic brand.
    I don't think it is youth orientated. It is aimed at (for want of a better phrase) aspirational yuppies.

Still hats off to them, their marketing and support for their products since the IPod has been exceptionally well executed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I do get is that an Apple product is very much a 'look at me' device.
    Look at me meaning 'look at my wealth, I have style'.

It's obviously working as so many people get so incensed by anything Apple, that they feel the need to post in every single thread where Apple is mentioned. Even though they would never buy one as a matter of principle. These platform battles have only ever done Apple a favour, keeps their brand topical, and has even spilled over into the non geeky mainstream media. The best way to harm Apple is to ignore the brand entirely IMHO. That's what I've never understood about Apple paranoia. Some would say we are all being manipulated by a very clever marketing operation and they are winning because here we are talking about them yet again. Same old tired arguments to boot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speak for yourself. I'm only ever analytical.
    Its a shame few have interest in great items.

I very much recall the Galaxy S, possibly the greatest smartphone of them all, only got 3 comments here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why do you keep bringing up the iPad in threads to do with other tablets? Analytical or totally obsessed?Have a read through the threads on android and advent tablets and it's clear to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are very obsessed.
    Everything gets compared for features and I'm always happy to denigrate either.Its called realism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Galaxy S had an Apple logo on it. It would have been constantly talked about for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see what the problem with the gadget show is anyway.
    Its always been like Stuff magazine in being 'gadgets entertainment'. No brains needed.

For most of the media their priority is to the big brand advertiser so going with the flow is certainly priority.

I've never seen anywhere in the media argue that the Ipad is pretty crap.
    Not a great example to pick on the gadget show with it being renowned for being dumbed down.
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am one of the 'mugs' that bought an iPad, yet ive used it every day sine June/ July when i bought it. The kids love it, I love it. I have yet to see in 6 months ( which is a aeon in technological terms) anything which could replace it more cheaply.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A potted history of the ipad and my use.

When it was rumoured to be coming out all the anti apple brigade were saying whats the point of a big iphone that will cost £1000..........locked OS etc.......

When announced suddenly forgot the price argument and since then its all the OS locked down and big iphone comments.

Well most people who buy one want the locked down, instant on, app for everything, easy to use, as its like an ipod touch/iphone UI.

I have a netbook that I haven't touched since I got my ipad in August.

I have a desktop that I do stuff that requires lots of keyboard or mouse stuff.

I can lie on the sofa, in bed or slouch in a chair in comfort with my ipad and surf, watch media etc etc in real comfort.

This is the first apple device I have had and I love it, its so easy to use, try typing or something with a laptop / netbook when standing up.

As for price, look at the specs and build quality on the cheaper andriod tablets and the ipad is way better, the samsung tab is the same price as the equvilent ipad 3G but smaller screened and feels bigger as not tappered like the ipad.

All you knockers who just don't like it because its an Apple device, get over it, Apple once again have set the standard that all others will be judged by, its the best there is, will have been for more than a year, and will be even better when version 2 is released.
  • Options
    ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it deserved to be the gadget of the year.

Yes, it's popular, but has anyone found a real use for it yet?!!!

From what I here, people want to get one before working out what they'll use it for - it seems to be just a playtoy.

For now, I'll stick to my little netbook, which has a keyboard and doesn't need to be balanced on it's edge to view!
  • Options
    jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The G.S. sure does peddle some trash.

However it is not at all unreasonable to suggest that in terms of sales success and market impact (net book sales have dived) it probably was gadget of the year.

The convenience, accessibility and ergonomics of the iPad, having a "connected" device at your side with 10hrs battery, and instant one-click on.... Always ready, fast, reliable. I use it for things I used to use my smartphone and laptop for, and for 90% of tasks it does them 100% better thanks to a nice operating system and form factor.

We are seeing a stream of competitors appearing. Many are inferior to the iPad and the good ones may have a different balance of pro's and con's so perhaps an equal contender at best. Gain Flash but lose battery life and responsiveness is one example. Nothing has truly whooped it yet. Beefier hardware is irrelevant without a great tablet OS and Apple IOS 4.2 fits like a glove.

It was a game changer I don't see how that can be denied. So get's gaj of the yr from me. Plus what BIg Ted said - it absolutely set the standard IMO.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Tablets - not a new idea, not a new concept, Apple didn't think of it.

Apple did think to equip iPad with a decent touch interface designed for the device, the best screen in its class of device, and a superior battery life.
    Touchscreen phones - not a new idea, not a new concept, Apple didn't think of it.

They did, however, redefine everybody's expectations of what a touch device should be. Hence we now have Android and more recently Windows Phone 7 and Nokia emulating that experience. I'd go as far as saying WP7 is as much a leap in UI design from the icon-grid as iPhone was from static d-pad driven UIs of featurephones of yore.
    Hard-drive based MP3 players - not a new idea, not a new concept, Apple didn't think of it.

No, but encasing the Pod in stainless steel and Lucite was new. Made the rubber bumper'd Archos 20 look like a Trabant. The iPod's Firewire interface blew the then standard USB 1 out of the water. An actual, physical wheel to allow continuous scrolling through long lists of songs? You're right, no innovation there whatsoever. :rolleyes:
    GUI operating systems - both MS and Apple stole this from Xerox.

Well, Apple did develop the Lisa on the back of concepts originated at Xerox PARC, then further refined that into the original Macintosh.
    Who is imitating Apple?

Everyone. Imitation is, after all, the sincerest form of flattery.
    It is painfully obvious to all (except those with Apple-shaped rose tinted glasses) that the Gadget Show must receive backhanders from Apple. If Apple released a turd, it'd probably win gadget of the decade.

I doubt it. Perhaps the iPhone won a category at some point, maybe the iPod Touch too.

Anyway, if iPad shouldn't be the defining product of the year, which would be?
  • Options
    jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ih8mondays wrote: »
    Yes, it's popular, but has anyone found a real use for it yet?!!!

When the iPad came out I had no interest, waited two months before picking one up. I'd have been here saying no way do I want a locked down OS and the Apple control freakery, blah blah. I'd be here saying why do I want something that my phone and laptop already do?

Then it suddenly occurred to me... that like many people, the Internet increasingly dominates computer use. Same for me, far less use of traditional standalone apps, I would squint at a phone screen when I needed a fix or tolerate the slow old laptop grinding away with it's two hour battery just to surf.

Just for basic web (anti-Flash) , mail etc for a lot of that daily routine stuff, it suddenly clicked for me what purpose an iPad could serve, and boy what a nice experience it is. Then I discovered Apps, and now using it for a range of tasks and playing games of a quality I had no expectation of.

For me, the iPad delivered, and delivered some more. It's the product that keeps on giving, if you value usability and ergonomics. As for the lockdown thing, I have become strangely grateful that I have one less device to maintain in terms of AV, drivers, weekly OS updates, adobe reader, flash player, java oh the grind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaycee331 wrote: »
    ...... I had no interest, waited two months before picking one up. .............
    Then it suddenly occurred to me... that like many people, the Internet increasingly dominates computer use.
    Yes its bad news for the computer industry.
    Obviously a very large percentage of people do not need a traditional computer and it has taken Apple to show the way.

I can't quite work out whether it is the big stores wanting to keep their margins, or manufacturers wanting to keep product divide in that the 11.6" CULV netbook has always seemed the ideal do everything product.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proprietary is a bad thing? :confused:

Actually I'd say it was a very bad thing to be locked into a particular make of hardware and not having a choice and harks back to the early 80's when you needed different devices to play a particular game or run a piece of software forcing you to buy a particular machine if you wanted or needed the software rather than having the choice of what hardware you wanted to buy dependent on your needs, finances and spec wanted and being able to run the software you wanted on it.

Apple aren't the only ones doing this though - look at Sky - you used to be able to choose a set top box to suit your budget and with the features and design you wanted now you're forced to have whatever crap hardware Sky insist you have and that only works the way sky want it to work if you want Sky TV - even when paying for a box you can't choose the make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is part good news for the consumer.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-21/microsoft-is-said-to-announce-version-of-windows-for-arm-chips-at-ces-show.html

So it seems Microsoft sees no choice but to release a full 'Windows 8' for ARM gadgets.
    I'm expecting them to settle at £100 for a decent 7" and £150 for 10" within 12 months
    Microsoft is certainly going to have to rethink its income stream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is part good news for the consumer.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-21/microsoft-is-said-to-announce-version-of-windows-for-arm-chips-at-ces-show.html

So it seems Microsoft sees no choice but to release a full 'Windows 8' for ARM gadgets.
    I'm expecting them to settle at £100 for a decent 7" and £150 for 10" within 12 months
    Microsoft is certainly going to have to rethink its income stream.
    It's an interesting development to have Windows running on ARM processors I agree. However I'm not so sure those prices are realisitic and the timeframe could be a little on the optimistic side if they wish to recoup development costs. Still if MS can manage to make a success of Windows Phone 7 though anything is possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    ...... look at Sky -...... now you're forced to have whatever crap hardware Sky insist you have ....even when paying for a box you can't choose the make.
    Its a very good example with the benefits of Sky versus its deficits.

Methinks a new chip war has started between Nvidia and Qualcomm. Nvidia have quickly taken a massive lead.
    But for mobile phones even the lowly Coretex A8 would now be given Celeron status.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a very good example with the benefits of Sky versus its deficits.

Methinks a new chip war has started between Nvidia and Qualcomm. Nvidia have quickly taken a massive lead.
    But for mobile phones even the lowly Coretex A8 would now be given Celeron status.

Nvidia have the advantage as its the chip Android 3 is designed to take most advantage of with its dual cores and onchip graphics.

It will be nvidia chipped android 3 tablets that will be the first real competitors for the ipad as long as the screen used is near to if not as better than the ipads.

Also will be interesting to see if the new tablets will be widescreen or the same form factor as the ipad and if both which people prefer.

Interesting times ahead, at least we won't have to worry about the windows for ARM for a year or 2 as it will take MS that long just to get to a beta stage. :D
  • Options
    VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    Yes its bad news for the computer industry.
    Obviously a very large percentage of people do not need a traditional computer and it has taken Apple to show the way.
    The iPad suits a need that the computer industry ignored and now it is paying big time for its neglect.
    I can't quite work out whether it is the big stores wanting to keep their margins, or manufacturers wanting to keep product divide in that the 11.6" CULV netbook has always seemed the ideal do everything product.

The netbook had a brief 15 seconds in the sun and that was mainly due to the fact that it was cheap. Consumers could chose between a netbook which did many things poorly and the iPad which looked fantastic and did just a few things, but the important things well.
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Actually I'd say it was a very bad thing to be locked into a particular make of hardware

The difference between proprietary and open is this. It's bit like you have a prize Bulldog bitch. One owner (Apple) makes sure that it select its mate very carefully to produce the best puppies possible. With an Open System you let the dog run around the neighbourhood in the rather optimistic hope that a suitable mate will be found and good puppies will be the result. The wishful thinking is impressive, the common sense is not. :rolleyes:
    psionic wrote: »
    Still if MS can manage to make a success of Windows Phone 7 though anything is possible.

There is a very big "if" there. Microsoft announced yesterday that 1.5 million WP7 handsets had been shipped. Note shipped not sold. Many are sitting in warehouses and 100,000 were given away to Microsoft employees.

The Canadians are even getting a free XBox with each WP7 contract. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad suits a need that the computer industry ignored and now it is paying big time for its neglect.

The netbook had a brief 15 seconds in the sun and that was mainly due to the fact that it was cheap. Consumers could chose between a netbook which did many things poorly and the iPad which looked fantastic and did just a few things, but the important things well.

The difference between proprietary and open is this. It's bit like you have a prize Bulldog bitch. One owner (Apple) makes sure that it select its mate very carefully to produce the best puppies possible. With an Open System you let the dog run around the neighbourhood in the rather optimistic hope that a suitable mate will be found and good puppies will be the result. The wishful thinking is impressive, the common sense is not. :rolleyes:

There is a very big "if" there. Microsoft announced yesterday that 1.5 million WP7 handsets had been shipped. Note shipped not sold. Many are sitting in warehouses and 100,000 were given away to Microsoft employees.The Canadians are even getting a free XBox with each WP7 contract. :p

Cost wise the Win phone 7 is so far a big failure.....

MS have spent approx $500,000,000 on advertizing/promotion etc. :eek:

so thats $357 per phone on advertising etc........:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The netbook had a brief 15 seconds in the sun and that was mainly due to the fact that it was cheap.
    After wandering into PC World the other week they had a lineup of a good dozen netbooks.

Not one of them was 11.6" with my conclusion being PC World insist in buying old and cheap and selling high.