Options

are the police allowed to search people on their computer?

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Totally illegal.

If you make a complaint and report him then it will lead to his dismissal. Has happened to many former police officers in the past for doing exactly the same thing. Misuse of the Police National Computer; all searches will be recorded as to who and when, there's no escape if the enquiry isn't 100% genuine and in pursuit or investigation of crime.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can quite understand how a PC may break the rules and look up non work related information - but for him to then tell you what he had done is just absurd.

I agree that he should be reported - even if it is just because he is surely too stupid to be a responsible PC.
  • Options
    LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be complaining, it's out of order to access personal data for non work related activity.

Most companies take a dim view of this and it can have far reaching consequences for the companies involved
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I can quite understand how a PC may break the rules and look up non work related information - but for him to then tell you what he had done is just absurd.

I agree that he should be reported - even if it is just because he is surely too stupid to be a responsible PC.

That's my POV too.

Gotta say, though, given that it seems cops can beat people up or even inflict fatal injuries on telly and not actually be prosecuted for it, I doubt anything will come of the complaint. :(
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know Officers can do PNC checks which are logged, officer details etc only if said check is pertinent to an investigation and not for personal use, therefore he himself may have dropped himself in it.

I I were you I would contact their nearest professional standards unit.
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know Officers can do PNC checks (which are logged), officer details etc only if said check is pertinent to an investigation and not for personal use, therefore he himself may have dropped himself in it.

If I were you I would contact their nearest professional standards unit.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    esquilax wrote: »
    Might it be possible that the girl he got your email address from mentioned your arrest, and he thought it would be funny to pretend to have been a policeman and looked you up on their database?

In which case he'd be guilty of impersonating a police officer, wouldn't he?
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How arrogant of him, if he was a pc and letting her know how much power he had?

It is a big NO NO, but it seems a lot do it until they are found out.

One local NHS put records of David Beckham on their new pc network [that costs billons and was crp] The press found out his name/dob, or address has been fetched up over a 1,000 times why? John smith could be on there for years and never get clicked on, untill ill.

It's called curiosity/nosey/nothing better to do? I just hope you all remember this and don't let your GP/Hospital notes go on line for all the world [and an old friend can just look at]:eek:

I am not being paranoid but I don't think what he did was unusual, didn't one pc give some friends the adress from a reg nummber because they pulled out on them or rowed? With that address they went to the man's house and he died of an heart attack? I can't find a link but sure the pc got time.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No he bl00dly well can't.

Keep the email and report him.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    spoty wrote: »
    It is a big NO NO, but it seems a lot do it until they are found out.

For sure.

A mate of mine works for a finance comany and he has access to some national database that contains a lot of personal info.
    When he first got the job (10 years ago) he ran checks on pretty-much everybody he knew "just for laughs".
    These days he still uses it to run checks on new girlfriends and other people he gets to know.

I'm sure the world is full of people who work at doctors, chemists and similar places that do this sort of thing all the time.
    I suspect there's not usually any malice intended but they're just being nosey.
  • Options
    joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're only allowed to look up something about someone if it's relevant to what you're working on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum worked in a typing pool in a police station years ago and even for that you have to sign a confidentially agreement stating that you will not discuss any cases for at least five years after they'd occured.

So the bloke the OP talks about is definitely breaking some rules, not to mention being a major creep. Sounds like a complete tosser of a man. I'd be annoyed too if I were you, OP. If there is some way to report this little shit and get him into trouble, I'd go for it. People like that need to be put in their place. It's one thing for people to make sneaky checks on others but to actually confront someone and tell them what they did and that they know their secrets is seriously crossing a line and is creepy as f***.
  • Options
    tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for a utillity company and have to do courses annually and tick a box every time I log on about data mis-use. Every computer traing course starts with a section on data handling.

There is no excuse and it is quite frankly quite creepy that he looked and more so that he told you. It sounds a bit controlling.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    It is an offence under the Computer Misuse Act.

Well, it was 15 years ago since I was in the job, things change, new laws are introduced etc:)
  • Options
    HungryMunchkinHungryMunchkin Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Kingsd316 wrote: »
    If you did something when you were 17 and you are now 18 or over the record should have been deleted, including any interviews you had, this may have changed but when i turned 18, i got a call from the police asking if i would like to pick up my interview tape or am i happy for them to destroy it,

I might be wrong though, as it might have been when i was 16, as my (wrongly might i add cough cough) arrest was when i was 14

Yes you're right. Juvenile criminal records are only kept for short periods then totally expunged and something as minor as shoplifting 11 years ago it definitely wouldn't be on the police computer, this is very odd....
  • Options
    Mrs.XMrs.X Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for the replies, I couldnt get back on the computer until now to reply.

I kept the emails from him, and after all the advice on here I will report him for what he did.

Its not like him knowing will effect my life in anyway, its just the thought of him doing it, and maybe doing it to other people as well, its a bit creepy to say the least.

Thanks again everyone..
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs.X wrote: »
    Thank you all for the replies, I couldnt get back on the computer until now to reply.

I kept the emails from him, and after all the advice on here I will report him for what he did.

Its not like him knowing will effect my life in anyway, its just the thought of him doing it, and maybe doing it to other people as well, its a bit creepy to say the least.

Thanks again everyone..
    Good, I'm glad you kept the emails. Let us know how you get on, he sounds a right creep.
  • Options
    SuperTed187SuperTed187 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

REPORT THIS TOSSER GET HIM SACKED

We have to many corrupt police in this country that take no pride in their job and are just obsessed with showing off how powerful they are. We seem to have recruited the worst kind of people the police over the last few years.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I wonder why the man referred to in the opening post had been a police officer for just a few years? Dismissed from the service, maybe? Might be worth Googling for his name.

According to my reading of the post, the man has been a police officer for several years, and is still a police officer. If he's of an age with the OP, he'd be in his late 20s.

I suspect that a lot of police officers look up details on the computer out of interest, it would be kind of tempting, I suppose, but the big mistake is to tell someone that you did it. I guess he thought it was "cool" and maybe a bit of a joke. Best to make sure he knows it isn't funny, and report him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

REPORT THIS TOSSER GET HIM SACKED

We have to many corrupt police in this country that take no pride in their job and are just obsessed with showing off how powerful they are. We seem to have recruited the worst kind of people the police over the last few years.

Don't be daft, and don't believe everything you read in the Daily Wail. Most policemen are absolutely fine, but you get bad apples in every field, doctors, nurses, policemen, clerics, whatever. Just because Beverley Allitt killed young children doesn't mean that you shouldn't go near a hospital because they're all at it.

(Shakes head in despair)
  • Options
    SuperTed187SuperTed187 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Don't be daft, and don't believe everything you read in the Daily Wail. Most policemen are absolutely fine, but you get bad apples in every field, doctors, nurses, policemen, clerics, whatever. Just because Beverley Allitt killed young children doesn't mean that you shouldn't go near a hospital because they're all at it.

(Shakes head in despair)

(Shakes head in despair)

I never claimed that all police were corrupt and that you should never go near them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Shakes head in despair)

I never claimed that all police were corrupt and that you should never go near them.

You said (sic) we had "to many" corrupt policeman, a statement for which you have absolutely no evidence. Nor do you have any evidence for all these policemen going off on power trips. In fact, you've really got no evidence for anything that you said.

I used Beverley Allitt as an example of going OTT because of one individual. It doesn't do to take things too literally, especially as you know exactly what I meant.