Options

getting car insurance....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
Forum Member
✭✭✭
why have car insurace policies gone up so much this year???

I turned 25 a few months ago so I was expecting it to drop a little bit this time...... apparently NOT, it seems to have jumped up loads?!

anyone got any suggestions for cheaper insurers? ive tried all the usual go compare, etc...

Comments

• Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is any getting away from high insurance. I saw something recently on TV, Watchdog I think it was, because people were comlaining about the amount their insurance premiums have jumped up this year and the Insurance companies excuse was because of the amount of claims made last year due to the bad weather. I dread to think about next years premiums after the snow we've had this year.:eek:
    People who have never made a claim are having their insurance doubled and theres nothing they can do about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why have car insurace policies gone up so much this year???

I turned 25 a few months ago so I was expecting it to drop a little bit this time...... apparently NOT, it seems to have jumped up loads?!

anyone got any suggestions for cheaper insurers? ive tried all the usual go compare, etc...

Can't help I'm afraid.

For the first time in years, I wasn't able to do better than the renewal quote from my existing insurers, the comparison websites couldn't get within 50 quid.

I'm in insurance 'no-man's-land' now, with maximum NCD and at an age where my premium is only going to go up for a while, so it's back to running a classic for me I think, pre '72 so I don't pay any tax either!
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, if you have used an aggregator site then they are the best way of finding the cheapest deal. Other things to consider would be to add an older driver on the policy as a named driver, that can sometimes lower the premium. Also, play about with different job titles, for example if you are a call centre worker, try customer service rep as it could be 30 quid cheaper to put your occupation as that as opposed to call centre worker. Don't estimate your mileage, work it out if you can. If you put 7000 miles a year as opposed to 8000 that will save you money.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at what offers cash back sites like Quidco have got.

What I did was do a comparison and then see which of the quotes had Quidco offers and if that made it any cheaper compared to the other quotes.

It might not save you much, but better than nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just found a little tip on money saving expert

first direct GUARANTEE to beat your renewal notice by 10% so I went through their quote system and got a quote that Im happy with.

One thing to look out for is that their website does make several "assumptions" that you have to go into and alter, in order to get an accurate quote!
  • Options
    slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try adding your mum as a named driver. Even though she has and would never drive my car, adding her as a named driver dropped my premium by about 10%.
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my Dad a very good deal from Liverpool Victoria this month.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been through this Insurance lark......the comparison sites are useless, you get a better quote from the insurer themselves.
    The comparison sites will show lower prices if you hike up the excess.

LV were by far the cheapest.

Insurance premiums are high because of the high level of fraudulent claims and if you live in certain postcode areas you may not even get a quote (like mine for example).
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebel MC wrote: »
    Can't help I'm afraid.

For the first time in years, I wasn't able to do better than the renewal quote from my existing insurers, the comparison websites couldn't get within 50 quid.

We saved £42 this year by using a comparison site.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do the comparing meerkats every year and so far no-one has beaten Churchill for my policy! Some people seem to save money but I don't, so we'll see what happens.

Oh, and putting a named driver on your policy who will never drive the car can be seen as insurance fraud!
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    As well as comparison sites, look for an independent broker. This year, we went to our usual broker who got us a good deal. Husband rang the company direct and got an even better deal-one that wasn't advertised anywhere that we could find.

Also, if you are going to ring a company direct, 'phone towards the end of a month. They have to meet quotas, and it might be they still have not so will reduce policy payments to meet their figures.

Good luck! They will try to 'get' you in any way they can. I had my car broken into outside my house, twice in 3 months. We then moved house, I changed my car and the insurers we'd been with for years refused to insure me. :mad: We learnt from that that staying with one company isn't always wise and shopping around is the only way. Car insurance is a cut throat world!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    I do the comparing meerkats every year and so far no-one has beaten Churchill for my policy! Some people seem to save money but I don't, so we'll see what happens.

Oh, and putting a named driver on your policy who will never drive the car can be seen as insurance fraud!

Churchill were great with me this year but wanted £160 deposit! So I went else where and paid a ltitle more each month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tried churchill and LV but nobody seems to be able to beat first direct at the moment.

I have tried adding my mum, because she does sometimes use my car (ie, when I want a lift down the pub) and she's only a named driver on our parents' car - so this needs to be done anyway!

it doesn't have any effect on the policy price though!

I tried the broker my family used to use in town last year and they were unable to beat the price I found on the comparison websites, so I can't really be bothered with that lot again!