Options

Do you shop at Primark? Do you like to? Do you think it is the devil?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
Forum Member
✭✭
I like Primark.

Is that wrong?

When all our clothes are made by some form of supposed "slave" labour or child labour (unless you are rather rich - what what!?) then is Primark really such a bad thing?

I'd love to hear about this because people give Primark such a bad name. They say things like the clothes don't fit or they aren't good quality but my experience has been exactly the opposite.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Jane Norman, the very posh opposite of Primark also involved in a similar slave labour scandal? People don't complain about that though because it's more upmarket and more expensive. :rolleyes:

I like Primark, they make some good clothes and charge very good prices. I shop there and will continue to do so.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother sometimes shops there when she goes out with my aunt.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Wasn't Jane Norman, the very posh opposite of Primark also involved in a similar slave labour scandal? People don't complain about that though because it's more upmarket and more expensive. :rolleyes:

I like Primark, they make some good clothes and charge very good prices. I shop there and will continue to do so.

In what world is the Jane Norman brand considered posh? :eek:
  • Options
    #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Jane Norman, the very posh opposite of Primark also involved in a slave labour scandal? People don't complain about that though because it's more upmarket and more expensive. :rolleyes:

I like Primark, they make some good clothes and very good prices.

I buy the odd thing from Primark, tights, brollies and stuff. I shopped in Jane Norman when I was younger and I cringe at that fact now. I think its over priced but still cheap and nasty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    In what world is the Jane Norman brand considered posh? :eek:

Well, it's posher compared to Primark. Their stores don't have clothes all over the floor and chavs smoking in them (At least not at my nearest one). :D
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Primark and i shop there for cheap everyday stuff like leggings, bags i get through like water for work they have to carry so much stuff, flat comfy shoes or boots, accesories, scarfs nightwear t shirts bikinis

i buy coats/jackets/trousers/dresses elsehwere though as i like a good cut.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no qualms at all about shopping at Primark . In fact, I'll be popping in there tomorrow to see if they have any decent messenger bags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's posher compared to Primark. Their stores don't have clothes all over the floor and chavs smoking in them (At least not at my nearest one). :D

Is Primark really that atrocious, can't say I've ever ventured in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I have and do, I also shop at John Lewis, Debenhams, M&S, Aldi, Lidl, Costco,Waitrose,and Poundland, I have no loyalty to any of them, I buy what I want where I want, they are all there to sell, and I buy what I like, I do draw the line at iceland though....only cos I think their food is total crap.....Prawn Ring - one pound ... :D
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't care how the clothes I buy are made. Frankly, at least those kids in the sweatshops are earning some money instead of begging on the streets of whichever backward land of horror they live in.

I don't buy things from Primark though. Their menswear is pretty terrible. Everything is so bland, cheap looking and low quality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jane Norman isn't posh or upmarket. It sells tarty, cheap looking tat, most of which looks like it should be worn by hookers.

OT

I hate Primark tbh. Even walking through the one at Lakeside makes me shudder. Probably though, I'd have loved it when I was a teenager as it's the modern day version of the street markets we had in my day.

The older I've got, the more I've cared about decent quality rather than quantity but I can totally understand why youngsters who just want disposable clothes to wear once or twice would love it.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I've never been into a Primark store. Now, before I'm branded as some sort of snob, let me explain. There is no store in my town. If I can't buy something in my town, I shop on line, from outlets I have tried before.

Friends have said the store is good for tops and things and I've seen some good examples. However, I think Primark is a bit of a Marmite syndrome-love or hate it!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I love Primark.. I go there for gloves, hats, leggings, umbrellas, stuff like that
    I've bought a couple of coats from there before but the buttons fall off within about 4 months.. literally, I'd be walking down the street and a button would fall off..
    I bought loads of jewellery recently - just bead jewellery - and bangles, but they're gorgeous!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Angel Dust wrote: »
    Jane Norman isn't posh or upmarket. It sells tarty, cheap looking tat, most of which looks like it should be worn by hookers. :confused:

Yes it is, and no it doesn't. See, I can do the same.
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought some lovely fleecy throws for £2 each a couple a weeks ago.
    They've washed really well & are so snug.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Is Primark really that atrocious, can't say I've ever ventured in.

I've walked through the lakeside one when I've parked the car outside and the place makes my teeth itch. It looks like it's been ram raided about 15 minutes after it opens.
  • Options
    AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Primark. As a student on "EMA", I find the cheaper garments of clothing found in their shops to be very convenient for me. Same with H&M, Peacocks and Quality Seconds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is, and no it doesn't. See, I can do the same.

Sorry you've lost me there. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Norman isn't posh or upmarket. It sells tarty, cheap looking tat, most of which looks like it should be worn by hookers.

Yep, that's been my impression of it too.
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    i love primark, its great for stuff for work and leggings etc
    its cheap and lasts ok, i've bought stuff from dearer shops that hasnt lasted as well as stuff from primark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry you've lost me there. :confused:

You replied telling me that what I think is wrong, so I thought I would tell you that what you think is wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the clothes that are sold in Primark like tshirts, tights, leggings and socks etc. Its the shopping experience which I have a problem with. As soon as I leave the store I feel like I've gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson and vow never to go back there again! But I always do :D
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've walked through the lakeside one when I've parked the car outside and the place makes my teeth itch. It looks like it's been ram raided about 15 minutes after it opens.
    The trouble with Primark is that they have a habit of folding some of their clothes and lots of people having got time to be faffing around folding them back up. They should have them all on hangers, IMO. It is also a lot busier than most other clothing stores and so the staff have less time to tidy up after people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You replied telling me that what I think is wrong, so I thought I would tell you that what you think is wrong.

i'm just stating my opinion which is that Jane Norman isn't posh in any way, shape or form. Ok, you disagree so we obviously have a different definition of upmarket but have a look at the website and tell me if you honestly think these clothes could ever be described as posh or upmarket.?

http://www.janenorman.co.uk/fcp/categorylist/item/dresses?resetFilters=true

IMO, they look like the sort of clothes worn by tango tanned types like those silly girls in The Only Way Is Essex or the sort who think Alex Gerrard is a style icon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    No, not really. All the clothes from there are of the most awful quality. I head to H&M, French Connection, Topshop & River Island instead.