Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    That was Everton v Norwich, a third-round tie in January 2004.

He was around the channels a fair bit that season, as he also did a live UEFA Cup game for Channel Five (his only one, Groclin v Man City) and popped up regularly as a commentator on HTV West's Soccer Sunday, which was in its final season.

As you say, that was probably the chance for him to make his mark on one of the major channels, and it didn't really happen for him.

I seem to remember he did a Football First commentary for Sky on Wigan v Sheffield United in December 2006 as well.

Something of an enigma maybe,as you say he was around networks,and not just in this country.

Reasons why were not a question of missing an opportuntiy
    what people miss about tim caple is he a genuine multi sport commentator ,if you have watched or are fans of athletics and boxing over the years he has covered Olympic Games
    from ,and i am pretty sure of this ,1996 when he worked with the late Helen Rollason.

If there are any fight fans on here I first heard him commentating Foreman Brigg's for a World Heavyweight Title and that must have been in 98 and still does boxing
    on a regular basis as well as track and field.

There are very few who do this well, but Caple is one.

Could anyone tell me if there have ever been on here poll's for the best Commentary Voice,to include all Sport not just football.

If not who are the Greatest Voices that ever held a microphone.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If not who are the Greatest Voices that ever held a microphone.

Reg Gutteridge, Richie Benaud, Murray Walker, Bill McLaren, John Barrett, Ron Pickering.

That's a start at least.
  • Options
    pjcd1970pjcd1970 Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Reg Gutteridge, Richie Benaud, Murray Walker, Bill McLaren, John Barrett, Ron Pickering.

That's a start at least.
    Barry Davies would be the first name on my list.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    pjcd1970 wrote: »

So here we go David Coleman,in terms of voice and delivery
    across the range of Sport , and who needs a ream of stats
    when the immortal line, one nil , simply had it all,.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off Topic, but for big broadcasting names Bill McLaren number 1 for me.
  • Options
    djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adelaide vs Sydney - Fox Sports 1
    Melanie McLaughlin presenting with Mark Rundan and Paul Trimboli from Adelaide Oval with Michael Zappone doing pre game interviews

commentators: Michael Zappone and Paul Trimboli
  • Options
    neilwatsonneilwatson Posts: 31,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MOTD

Man City v Aston Villa-Martin Fisher
    Birmingham v Man Utd-Steve Bower
  • Options
    Meeko69Meeko69 Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    pjcd1970 wrote: »

Peter O'Sullevan definitely in my top 10
  • Options
    Peter BrackleyPeter Brackley Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI GUYS,
    JUST COMING ON TO WISH YOU ALL THE VERY BEST FOR 2011!

AS THE REGULARS AMONG YOU KNOW, I'VE NOT BEEN ABLE TO JOIN YOU FOR MUCH OF THIS YEAR DUE TO MY WIFE'S MEDICAL PROBLEMS, AND UNFORTUNATELY THAT REMAINS THE CASE.
    I AM STILL DOING A FEW COMMENTARIES HERE AND THERE, INCLUDING THE UP-COMING CARLING CUP SEMIS, AND REPORTING FOR THE BBC WEBSITE, AS I AM TODAY.

I was due to have lunch with Darkie, Alan Parry and Jim Rosenthal last week, but it was postponed due to the weather.....hopefully it'll be re-scheduled soon and I can catch up with the latest gossip!

Anyway, all the best everyone, and I would appreciate it if one of you could post this on the "other" commentator forum for me.
    Many thanks
    Happy New Year
    Peter Brackley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the best to you too Peter... :)
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,604
    Forum Member
    Peter, may 2011 bring everything you wish. Happy New year.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wigan v Arsenal

Daniel Mann and Garry Birtles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool v Wolves - SS HD1
    Comms: Alan Parry :eek: and Andy Gray

Chelsea v Bolton
    - FF - Tony Jones and Tony Gale
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,553
    Forum Member
    Tony Jones and Tony Gale at Stamford Bridge

Alan Parry and Andy Gray at Anfield

Peter Drury and David Pleat for Liverpool/Wolves on the international feed.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking stuff from Birtles in the first half at the DW. VERY anti-Arsenal.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 29th December - BBC One

Match of the Day

Gary Lineker presented alongside Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer

Liverpool v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Steve Wilson
    Chelsea v Bolton Wanderers - Simon Brotherton
    Wigan Athletic v Arsenal - Guy Mowbray
    Manchester City v Aston Villa (Tuesday) - Martin Fisher
    Birmingham City v Manchester United (Tuesday) - Steve Bower
    Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United (Tuesday) - John Motson

Tuesday round-ups - Ivan Gaskell and John Roder

It wasn't featured on tonight's show, but going by the post-match interviews on the BBC Sport website, Jonathan Pearce covered Arsenal v Chelsea for the BBC on Monday night. So expect to hear him on the Football Focus edit of that match come Saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Match of the Day

It wasn't featured on tonight's show, but going by the post-match interviews on the BBC Sport website, Jonathan Pearce covered Arsenal v Chelsea for the BBC on Monday night. So expect to hear him on the Football Focus edit of that match come Saturday.

Never seen MOTD, did they show Arsenal v Chelsea goals? You would of thought they would of shown brief highlights with commentary
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,703
    Forum Member
    No, they didn't.

Also, why was it only 1h10 tonight?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »
    No, they didn't.
    They did, right at the very start. But it was done "artistically", with the goals commentated as-live, but from a multitude of different camera angles.

I'm surprised that MOTD was only on today, when most of the games were played yesterday. Wouldn't it have made more sense to treat yesterday as Saturday and today as Sunday, with MOTD then MOTD2? Or is it a contractual restriction?
  • Options
    TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    They did, right at the very start. But it was done "artistically", with the goals commentated as-live, but from a multitude of different camera angles.

I'm surprised that MOTD was only on today, when most of the games were played yesterday. Wouldn't it have made more sense to treat yesterday as Saturday and today as Sunday, with MOTD then MOTD2? Or is it a contractual restriction?

On the occasions when there's a set of games played midweek, they always have an MOTD on the Wednesday night so that they can show highlights of all the games.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,553
    Forum Member
    This clip has nothing to do with football but does for commentary. About 5:00 in is one ice hockey commentator's thoughts on using big words in a broadcast without sounding pompous a la a certain PD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UF6vCEBKf4
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 12,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would assume so, this would have counted as a midweek fixture list when they're only allowed one MOTD - the same thing that's happening next Tuesday and Wednesday - and presumably with Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool all playing last night, they decided to do it on the Wednesday. Last season, when eight matches were played on Monday 28th and two on Tuesday 29th, they showed MOTD on the Monday. The Arsenal vs Chelsea goals were also shown on Final Score on Tuesday.

So nobody heard Gary refer to "a major power failure" at the start of MOTD and express his hope that they'd be able to show all of the goals but couldn't promise anything? I dunno if that was why Liverpool vs Wolves had such a short edit but having watched the whole of that game, if anything I reckon it was too long. Anyway, if he'd not said it I doubt anyone would have noticed.

And well done to Alan Parry for commentating on Liverpool for Sky 365 days after the last time he did it. Same time next year, Al?
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Match of the Day

Didn't Stoke/Fulham, Sunderland/Blackpool or West Ham/Everton get full edits then? Slightly unusual, or is this usually the case?
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,703
    Forum Member

Ah, sorry. I turned it on right at the start of the Wigan v Arsenal game and assumed I'd missed nothing significant.
  • Options
    ThebensterThebenster Posts: 6,887
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    Shocking stuff from Birtles in the first half at the DW. VERY anti-Arsenal.

I watched the highlights and he said that as a neutral he wanted Arsenal to score from a move, and he said the red card was the right decision. Not sure how that is anti Arsenal. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.