Options

EBC (English Broadcasting Corporation) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    iain wrote: »
    i'm not sure how your inability / unwillingness to respond to perfectly reasonable questions .

Iain :)

Probably he has learned from other people on here......
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm not sure how your inability / unwillingness to respond to perfectly reasonable questions them makes me look silly.

perhaps you could let me know which parts you have idea about?

I think I have covered this in an earlier reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to have taken up to 8 days before the 'national' news caught on regarding the lack of water in Northern Ireland. I doubt it would have taken as long had this shortage had happened in Essex!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »
    I actually don't have a problem with the English football players, they are a limited bunch, with one or two very good players. The problem, surprise, surprise, is with the English media who have a habit of building the team up to be world beaters before a tournament based on nothing at all. Then when England reach their natural level, about last 16/8, the media go on a witch hunt about who's fault the 'failure' was (a foreign coach is always a good scape goat).

English media? I'm not familiar with any exclusively English media, unless you mean English editions of papers?

Your right the British media does have unrealistic expectations. Are you suggesting the media is racist? If so which publications/organisation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems to have taken up to 8 days before the 'national' news caught on regarding the lack of water in Northern Ireland. I doubt it would have taken as long had this shortage had happened in Essex!

I suspect that it would have taken 8 days to report in Essex. With stories like this the longer the time the more important it is.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koala wrote: »

like your good self?

because i'm still wondering if you're going to concede the point that going by your 30/50 mile radius definition of 'local', there are parts of England that do not have a 'local' radio station....

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I have covered this in an earlier reply.

let me know which reply, and i'll be glad to go back and re-read it.

(although, as i said, i have already re-read the last eight pages or so with no joy....)

thanks.

• Options
    Forum Member
    The English Cricket Team is an interesting case in point as technically it isn't just the English Team.It is the team of the ECB which is an interesting abbreviation of the England & Wales Cricket Board. Admittedly the 2010 team is nominally English with the odd Irishman and a few former South Africans thrown in.

A few weeks ago this came up on Radio Manchester as the presenter queried what did the Ashes have to do with the sports reader Delyth Lloyd. The fact being that the 2005 Ashes were won due in part to South Africans like Petersen but also Simon & Geraint Jones.

The people who may be South African born or citizens are classed as English in cricket terms, so your suggestion of irony is false.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    It would appear that the English Cricket team have won the "Ashes". This was the lead news item at 9am on BBC News so I guess it must be a "slow news day" :yawn:

This is a huge story, England haven't won down under for 24 years. Unless something even more major happened then this should have been the top story.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    English media? I'm not familiar with any exclusively English media, unless you mean English editions of papers?

Your right the British media does have unrealistic expectations. Are you suggesting the media is racist? If so which publications/organisation?

Racist??????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    let me know which reply, and i'll be glad to go back and re-read it.

(although, as i said, i have already re-read the last eight pages or so with no joy....)

thanks.

I have covered these in earlier posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have covered these in earlier posts.

You mentioned particular posts in earlier posts?

I don't think so...

I've tried to have a reasonable discussion with you, but your point blank refusal / unwillingness to actually discuss very much is making it very difficult.

And your suggestion that it's me who 'looks silly' is just laughable.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually don't have a problem with the English football players, they are a limited bunch, with one or two very good players. The problem, surprise, surprise, is with the English media who have a habit of building the team up to be world beaters before a tournament based on nothing at all. Then when England reach their natural level, about last 16/8, the media go on a witch hunt about who's fault the 'failure' was (a foreign coach is always a good scape goat).
    Racist??????

Yes that was the message I got from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

who is he by the way?

do you not have manners / common courtesy north of the border any more?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mentioned particular posts in earlier posts?

I don't think so...

I've tried to have a reasonable discussion with you, but your point blank refusal / unwillingness to actually discuss very much is making it very difficult.

And your suggestion that it's me who 'looks silly' is just laughable.

Iain

No, I don't think you have. You have thrown up constant strawman arguements, attempted to change the subject and in effect put words in the mouth of other posters with your 'so are you saying' type comments.

I have answered the points in earlier posts, you may not accept my replies, but there is not much I can do about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Yes that was the message I got from it.

Ah well. Says more about you then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who is he by the way?

do you not have manners / common courtesy north of the border any more?

Iain

Oh for goodness sake, it is getting even more silly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, don't worry dear DS people, the vociferous Pedro will disappear up his own sporran when the BBC Points Of View Messageboard ( his usual haunt ) re-opens in a few days time.

Pedro has a doctor's line to vent his spleen every hour about Scotland's myriad perceived injustices and slurs.

What's got his goat this time, did someone mention "Queen Of England" again on Question Time ?

It's a sair fecht, michty me.

Any chance of a reply to my later post to you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't think you have. You have thrown up constant strawman arguements, attempted to change the subject and in effect put words in the mouth of other posters with your 'so are you saying' type comments.

I have answered the points in earlier posts, you may not accept my replies, but there is not much I can do about that.

nope - you've never answered the question about why some stories include a location map, and others do not.

the floor is all yours if you want to actually let me know which post that was, rather than your less than helpful repeating af infinitum that you've already answered it.

its up to you if you want to put your money where your mouth is here....

i hope having a conversation with you in real life isn't this much hard work.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for goodness sake, it is getting even more silly.

sorry - I mistakenly read he as referring to me, when of course it was referring to you. so I apologise for that.

(although it was still simply a barbed comment which added nothing to the discussion, but hey.)

Iain
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    It would appear that the English Cricket team have won the "Ashes". This was the lead news item at 9am on BBC News so I guess it must be a "slow news day" :yawn:

Do you hate the fact they retained the Ashes that much?

First time they've done it on Australian soil in a generation - it's a HUGE story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »

First time they've done it on Australian soil in a generation - it's a HUGE story.

Scotland's Rugby Union team won a series in the southern Hemisphere for the first time EVER, never mind a generation, earlier this year.

This certainly comes under the category of "a HUGE story", but I don't seen to recall the BBC devoting large chunks of BBC Breakfast nor it headlining news bulletins.

Best of it is, the BBC actually had TV rights to the Rugby Union so could have shown as much of the games as they would have liked, rather than the 30 seconds courtesy of Sky Sports.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This is Iain's style I am afraid.:(

I simply ignore him most of the time......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Toland wrote: »
    Scotland's Rugby Union team won a series in the southern Hemisphere for the first time EVER, never mind a generation, earlier this year.

This certainly comes under the category of "a HUGE story", but I don't seen to recall the BBC devoting large chunks of BBC Breakfast nor it headlining news bulletins.

Wasn't important enough for them:(