Options

Hysterical reactions to everything on message boards..why?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
Forum Member
✭✭
On a day to day basis we talk to people about the big and small things that affect us in our daily lves. Like the news, the soaps, the price of petrol, the government etc; we manage to have these conversations on a daily basis without resorting to fisticuffs in r/l..why is everything so intense on the internet?

Why do some threads have to descend into name-calling, finger-pointing and all round bullying sometimes when we tend to disagree?

It doesn't happen in r/l because we tend to observe the social niceties, but here? Are we really all that angry and disappointed?

I

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because if were all reasonable and agreed all the time, it'd be frightfully dull.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who's angry?

ok, a few are but certainly not the majority of ds posters.
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the wingers and moaners are on DS because no one in real life will listen to their shit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Because if were all reasonable and agreed all the time, it'd be frightfully dull.

But we don't all agree in r/l either, and it doesn't get as nasty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    Most of the wingers and moaners are on DS because no one in real life will listen to their shit.

Some of the angriest members are probably nice as pie in real life;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe this place isn't for you. Try www.lovelyfluffykittens.com
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LDN wrote: »
    Some of the angriest members are probably nice as pie in real life;)

so its just an outlet so they are not such arseholes in real life?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It usually takes till the seventh or eight post on a thread, I am off to bed before the shrapnel hits :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    so its just an outlet so they are not such arseholes in real life?

Or they'd know they'd get a slap in the face in real life.

It's easier to be rude, angry and pissed on the internet. The worst that'll happen to them is they'll be banned and move on to the next place.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a day to day basis we talk to people about the big and small things that affect us in our daily lves. Like the news, the soaps, the price of petrol, the government etc; we manage to have these conversations on a daily basis without resorting to fisticuffs in r/l..why is everything so intense on the internet?

Why do some threads have to descend into name-calling, finger-pointing and all round bullying sometimes when we tend to disagree?

It doesn't happen in r/l because we tend to observe the social niceties, but here? Are we really all that angry and disappointed?

I

I don't understand it either. I get called John Blunt in real life and mostly people appreciate knowing where they stand with me.

Sadly some people on here think I'm rude or up myself as you don't get the same sense in real life by reading words on a screen.

Basically, I call a spade a spade whether it be real life or online. I know I'm not always right, 99% of the time I am tho but that can't be helped:p. I have one opinion (which I'm entitiled to) and someone else has another (which they're entitled to also).

Sometimes it's best to just agree to disagree.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this place isn't for you. Try www.lovelyfluffykittens.com
    I was really looking forward to posting on such a nice-sounding site, so you can imagine how let down I felt when I found you'd just INVENTED it. :(

People can be so cruel, sometimes. :cry:
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I just get sick of the f*cking know it alls. They seem to miss every point I make, obsessing unnecessarily over every minor detail.

I could tell them they look "lovely today" and by page 3, once those nitpickers get at it, it will have decended into some debate about space and time and how “today” is abstract and means nothing at all :D

I wonder if those people ever leave their sheltered accomodation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you mean 'descended'? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are four main reasons why interaction goes wrong on the internet.

1)
    Some people don't regard 'web people' as real people deserving of respect and patience, even though they are apparently keen to write stuff for them to see and react to. ie some people use the internet as an outlet for their own grievances or moods, irrespective of the human reading their words.

2)
    There is so much drivel written on the internet, on this site and elsewhere, that some people assume others are idiots until proven otherwise.

3)
    The written word, along with poor grammar, spelling and use of language, can lead to misunderstandings.

4)
    Incorrect or obsessive usage of internet forums (and email). They are not the correct place for rapidly dynamic conversations; they are for considered queries, opinions and comments.
    Casual chat or banter is suited to Instant messengers, chat boxes or the telephone.
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how morally righteous and law abiding everybody is on internet forums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you mean 'descended'? :D

I'm not even going to edit it! Grrr!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I just get sick of the f*cking know it alls. They seem to miss every point I make, obsessing unnecessarily over every minor detail.

I could tell them they look "lovely today" and by page 3, once those nitpickers get at it, it will have decended into some debate about space and time and how “today” is abstract and means nothing at all :D

I wonder if those people ever leave their sheltered accomodation?

Know it alls are downright annoying!:D More so than the angry ones because you just know for a fact that if you'd met them in the outside world, they'd be exactly the same:p

Anyway off to bed, stayed on longer than I planned
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not even going to edit it! Grrr!!!!

:D:D..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So yeah, you're all looking lovely today, metaphorically...
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the internet is full of crazy people
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LDN wrote: »
    Know it alls are downright annoying!:D More so than the angry ones because you just know for a fact that if you'd met them in the outside world, they'd be exactly the same:p

Anyway off to bed, stayed on longer than I planned

You'd never meet them in real life. They're too busy talking to their cats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So yeah, you're all looking lovely today, metaphorically...

aww fanks!
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Hysterical reactions to everything on message boards..why?"

The written word is the stripped-down version of the English language - it allows time between exchanges to absorb and interpret what someone else is saying to you rather than have a free-flowing conversation. There are no facial expressions or voice tones to accompany what's being said - a person's point of view becomes conveyed in a totally different manner to how it would in a face to face conversation

If everyone on this forum sat in a great big room and chatted to one another about the same topics that currently appear as threads, almost certainly, the conversations would end up being nothing like how they now are

It's just the way it is
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The written word is the stripped-down version of the English language
    I don't agree with that; I would say the written word is potentially the most descriptive and verbose use of language. It is more suited to such detail than the spoken word.
    it allows time between exchanges to absorb and interpret what someone else is saying to you rather than have a free-flowing conversation.
    I agree with that about the written word. As I said, I think internet forums should be for such interaction. Maybe they need much tighter moderation in many cases, which may make them more meaningful and constructive.
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my_login wrote: »
    I don't agree with that; I would say the written word is potentially the most descriptive and verbose use of language. It is more suited to such detail than the spoken word.
    It allows the reader too much leeway to interpret what's being said - a person is able to make himself much more clearly understood by talking to someone

Like reading a book - we can all get the general message of what a writer is intending, but our perceptions of various nuances within that message can vary greatly - something that wouldn't happen in a spoken conversation