Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    A point to add to the above regarding Sky News. Is it just me or do you think having to much sports coverage also damages its ratings. They seem to spend more time on sport in one hour then actual news, added to the fact that their weather reports are shocking.

Wade through all that the actual news and reporting is not that bad as some like to make out.

I think there is some issues with the way it's formatted but the actual news content is, in my opinion, very good. Sky News have more than their fair share of good journalists and there has been huge improvements in areas such as business in recent years.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,484
    Forum Member
    BBC One had an excellent night all told. EastEnders did very well to hit 10m again and Holby is really flying high just at the moment. I can't really be bothered to wade into the tiresome ITV v BBC rubbish, other than to say I think Upstairs Downstairs has done very well. The ratings are good, and the fact that there's two sides to the Downton Abbey comparison is a credit to it. I hope it returns for a longer run - I imagine that would be for Q1 2012.

ITV did OK with their movie - probably better than I was expecting. The whole night was an utter disaster for Channel 4. I've just seen their January promotion - they badly need a couple of hits from the new shows, and some sort of recovery from the likes of Million Pound Drop.

I can't say I'm expecting too much for Rock and Chips tonight - I've not really heard much about it in the press or seen promotion on TV, so I'm worried its been lost in the crossfire. 6m would be a success, in my opinion.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh, Marple finished early.. 8 minutes to 10pm!
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Gosh, Marple finished early.. 8 minutes to 10pm!

After filling with trailers, ITV News has now started earlier than billed
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rock and Chips definitely back next year according to an aftershow announcement. Needs to be a bit more enthusiastic than tonight imo.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    After filling with trailers, ITV News has now started earlier than billed

Yep - one (long one) for Dancing on Ice, one for Above Suspicion, one for Ad of the Year and one for That Was 2010.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    Superb night for BBC1. Mastermind back up to the level it should be at, EE putting in another excellent performance, Holby boosted by the exit of a long serving character and UD boosted by the better lead in.

I Am Legend did really well considering it was in flopzone, and late night movies don't tend to perform well at all on ITV1. Might have pulled in around 6m after the XF one night.

Ch4 collapsed, yet again. The stripped programming of Famous & Fearless and Shameless is obviously there to replace the Celebrity Big Brother slots and they will be banking on both getting 2m+. The first few programmes that have been released look like solid bankers, but Ch4 really need to find more hits, otherwise they'll be starting the year off like the last 4 months have performed.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV will be promoting DOI like mad now as its slipped from being their top entertainment show in 2007 to fourth now and with BGT several months away, they are short of big rated shows. Actually it serves them right in many ways for being overdependent on five or six shows, four of which are reality/entertainment shows that could go out of fashion in a few years time.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The interesting one to watch is the fate of Channel 4 in January now CBB has gone. For all the last series averaged out at 3.3 million, a lot of this could have been a sympathy vote as it was the last one and if it was still running, the audience would be around 2.5 million. If Channel 4 get 2-3 million for their Shameless repeats, then this would be similar to what CBB got for its 2009 series.
    For all the BB fanclub still say Channel 4 should never have axed the show, it was in decline and costing Channel 4 20pc of their budget Could you imagine if it was running next year and ratings had fallen to around a million, which was likely judging by the collapse of BB10 in the ratings, and the show was no longer profitable. I think Channel 4 did the right thing to axe it as they were being ripped off for a show that was well past its best.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another shocking night for C4 last night.
    personally I cant see this new boss lasting long the ratings seem to be going from bad to worse for them.

in a few days time CBB would have been starting at least giving them 2 million + for most of january.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,694
    Forum Member
    Famous and Fearless has a good chance of being a hit for them I reckon. But if anything is going to hold it back it will be the scheduling, which once again isn't great.

On the plus side it should get a strong lead-in from Iron Man on Sunday. If it flops it will have bigger repercussions as C4 have many programmes starting at half past 9 that week, directly following F&F.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very strange by ITV1 - why did Marple finish so early???

It'll be interesting to see Channel 4's monthly share for January compared to last year. Really, you do not axe a show which is holding up the rest of your schedule.

Dancing on Ice will also be intriguing. Personally I can see it dipping further, which is not what ITV really want. The solution is to split the shows over the weekend, maybe change the hosts (Mr Shout Schofield especially) and focus more on the 'ice' quality to the 'entertainment' quality (why keep Emma Bunton ahead of Nicky Slater/Karen Barber?). The celebrities are always a bit hit and miss to be honest; there could be a Chris Fountain/Ray Quinn in there who'll create talking points, but they are not helping themselves.

I Am Legend did better than I expected it too. Emmerdale saw a dip, presumably 19.25-19.30 dragged it down. Candid Camera did ok I suppose. BBC1 had an excellent night as usual on a Tuesday, Holby City seeing a boost from the lead out as well as the lead in.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    A selection of AI ratings (audience appreciation - read more here) for the Xmas Eve to Boxing Day have been released:

Boxing Day
    21:00 Upstairs Downstairs 86

21:00 Benidorm 80

Surprisingly high for Upstairs given how rubbish we are all being told it was - obviously the average viewer is a bit more objective than the Downton/Fellowes fan-boys in the media and on this thread.

Shockingly high for Come Fly.. and Benidorm. Perhaps the direness of their festive episodes (on any rational assessment) will not translate into ratings slumps for their next outings if people were generally appreciative of the quality of both offerings? :eek:
    A couple more ratings from yesterday:

I Am Legend - Breakdown
    21:00 - 4.49m (17.3%)
    21:15 - 4.70m (18.0%)
    21:30 - 4.75m (18.3%)
    21:45 - 4.77m (18.3%)
    22:00 - 4.65m (19.2%)
    22:15 - 4.89m (21.3%)
    22:30 - 4.87m (23.6%)

Note the Stephen K Amos effect there towards the end... :D
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock and Chips was very good tonight but I think it should remain specials rather than a series.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of yesterday/today's cricket ratings:

23:00 to 02:00: The Ashes Live (Sky Sports 1): 1.02m (11.4%)
    * peak: 1.57m (13.9%) at 23:55

22:00- The Ashes Highlights (ITV4): 881k

Just noticed this... very good live rating there.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night:

Polar Bear: Spy on the Ice: 5.4m (21%)
    Rock and Chips: 5.2m (20.3%)
    Arena: Rolf Harris Paints His Dream: 1.6m (6.4%)
    Les Mis at 25: Matt Lucas Dreams the Dream: 1.5m (5.7%)

Source: Attentional
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Last night:

Polar Bear: Spy on the Ice: 5.4m (21%)
    Rock and Chips: 5.2m (20.3%)

Source: Attentional

Major ouch at Rock and Chips, how was it beaten by its lead-in? :confused:
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Rock and Chips was very good tonight but I think it should remain specials rather than a series.

I agree. I didn't enjoy last night's as much as the original, which had a certain curiosity value along with being surprisingly better than anticipated. The ep last night didn't really build on that -- it was OK, but I think it's appeal is with OFAH obsessives who really care about "the back story". I'm sure millions of ordinary viewers aren't that fussed.

Mind you, I saw it with my parents who were teenagers in the early 60s and they loved it - as a 60s drama rather than as an OFAH spin off per se.

I thought it took 15-20mins to get going really last night - that may knock its ratings and if it sustains 6m that will be in line with expectations, any better will be pretty good really.

EDIT: Now seen the numbers. Gosh, that's bad. Presumably Marple won the day then. Nice one, George - again... :mad:
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EDIT: Now seen the numbers. Gosh, that's bad. Presumably Marple won the day then. Nice one, George - again... :mad:

Its going to be a long day again with the level of bitterness here about BBC1s relative under performance in a week they should be storming ahead.

It was given a prime 9pm slot against a weak opposition. What more could it wish for?

I watched the first Rock & Chips most of the way through and it was ok but didnt hook me. I suppose quite a few people felt the same.

My sympathies to you and my buddy jake. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 29 December 2010
    BBC One
    06:00 - Breakfast: 1.3m (37.0%)
    13:35 - Doctor Who: 1.4m (12.7%)
    16:05 - FILM: Mary Poppins: 3.7m (21.0%)
    18:20 - BBC News: 7.43m (33.0%)
    18:45 - BBC Regional News: 7.79m (33.3%)
    19:00 - Celebrity Mastermind: 4.77m (19.6%)
    19:30 - Dig 1940: 3.73m (15.9%)
    20:00 - Polar Bear: Spy on the Ice: 5.39m (21.0%)
    21:00 - Rock and Chips: 5.15m (20.3%)
    22:00 - BBC News: 4.73m (20.8%)
    22:15 - BBC Regional News: 4.81m (22.1%)
    22:25 - Lottery / Match of the Day: 3.0m (18.5%)

BBC Two
    17:00 - FILM: Strictly Ballroom: 1.1m (5.8%)
    18:30 - Springwatch: 1.68m (7.1%)
    20:00 - Les Mis at 25: 1.48m (5.8%)
    21:00 - Arena: 1.57m (6.5%)
    22:30 - QI XL: 1.63m (9.1%)
    23:15 - The Goodies: 0.64m (4.7%)

ITV1 (Inc ITV1 HD)
    06:00 - Daybreak: 0.4m (14.0%)
    * record low
    08:30 - Lorraine: 0.9m (14.0%)
    18:30 - ITV News & Weather: 4.3m (18.2%)
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 7.55m (31.0%)
    19:30 - The Lakes: 3.9m (16.4%)
    20:00 - Agatha Christie's Marple: 5.19m (20.3%)
    * 20:00 to 21:55 - 5.29m (20.7%)
    * vs. Rock and Chips - 4.97m (19.6%)
    22:00 - ITV News at Ten & Weather: 2.9m (13.2%)

Channel 4 (inc HD)
    18:00 - The Simpsons: 1.7m (6.3%) inc +1
    18:30 - Hollyoaks: 1.3m (5.0%) inc +1
    19:00 - Channel 4 News: 0.7m (2.5%) inc +1
    19:10 - FILM: Cheaper By The Dozen 2: 1.27m (5.1%)
    21:00 - The House That Made Me: 773,000 (3.0%)
    22:00 - Peep Show: 844,000 (3.8%)
    22:30 - Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights: 575,000 (3.1%)
    23:05 - Jason Manford: Live: 0.6m (3.7%) inc +1

Five (inc HD)
    18:05 - Eddie Stobart: Trucks and Trailers: 0.6m (2.6%)
    19:00 - Cowboy Builders: 0.9m (3.7%)
    20:00 - Cheryl Cole: Where Did It All Go Right And Wrong: 1.10m (4.3%)
    21:00 - Most Shocking Celebrity Moments: 1.50m (7.5%)

Primetime Shares
    BBC One - 19.6%
    ITV1 - 19.4%
    BBC Two - 6.9%
    C5 - 5.3%
    C4 - 4.0% (+1: 0.7%)

Source: MattJ, DS
    Unexpected result last night, with BBC1 and ITV1 nip and tuck between 20:00 and 22:00. On the one hand, Polar Bears did better than I thought but Rock and Chips underperformed significantly.

Marple's tape-checked rating will be higher than that because it finished early according to those up-thread.

Will be interesting to see a breakdown, because the raw figures suggest a small victory for ITV in the 9pm hour, which I'm sure will surprise a few at ITV HQ today...

EDIT: Or not, according to DS. Although the last 5 minutes would have dented Marple's 9pm hour average, I would imagine.

So-so night for BBC2, solid for C4 until 9pm, while C5 did well, keeping above 1m.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Major ouch at Rock and Chips, how was it beaten by its lead-in? :confused:

I watched the Polar Bears last night, but because my brothers were watching the football on Sky, our family has decided to watch Rock And Chips tonight on the BBC HD channel.

Don't think that would account for the 200,000 difference, though.:D
  • Options
    MattJKRMattJKR Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Its going to be a long day again with the level of bitterness here about BBC1s relative under performance in a week they should be storming ahead.

My sympathies to you and my buddy jake. :cry:

Calm yourself Georgey boy - no need to be cracking out your big gun again, I still havent got over the smell you were creating around Downtown Abbey yesterday
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Bad for Rock and Chips. Shocked that the Polar Bear documentary got higher ratings.

I have not seen much promotion for Rock and Chips( One television interview I think.)

As I think an Easter special has been filmed i am sure the BBC will promote that like mad.

EDIT Marple did well. much better then Monday. I think it is on Sunday as well. I predict a drop for it on Sunday as people might get tired of her.
    Mary Poppins did well.(Seems to be a constant 3.5-4.0 million audience for whatever film is on at that time.)
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway,........... the Polar Bears show was good last night so BBC1 got something right ;)

I think the Celeb Mastermind show is not doing the numbers the Beeb were expecting and that part of BBC1s problem this week but it cant explain it all.

There must be a big captive audience there this week, but they just arent that interested in what the big channels are offering.
This discussion has been closed.