Options

Now that we have GaGa and Cheryl, do we still need Kylie and Madonna?

Comments

• Options
    Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I wasn't alive in the 80's, but I think the only of Lady Gaga's singles that doesn't sound very suspiciously like a pop song from 25 years ago is Love Game. Even some of Gaga's album tracks don't seem like anything new. Dance in the Dark, for example, is literally a Madonna song.

Telephone might as well be a Rihanna song, Alejandro = Fernando - Abba

Alot of her songs as well are just a load of nonsense, if you listen to the words and what people sing along too, it's basically a lot of stuttering - my pppp pppp poker face, tttttt telephone aye

She is very clever in a way the she is publicised as being unique and fresh when she is basically a rip off of other artists.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting.

I would say that Kylie is rubbish compared to the others mentioned. A crap singer with no real personality.

You might say that Gaga is vile, but I find her fascinating and very talented. Her music is fab and she pushes boundaries with her image. Kylie just flashes her arse in a lot of saccharine pop videos *shrugs*

We'll all have to disagree on many points .... Kylie has always come across as a genuine and quite likeable woman, considerably more genuine than Cheryl.

Interesting that you say that Gaga "pushes boundaries with her image". No, she's just copying Grace Jones, who was doing the same sort of offbeat image, and doing it well many years before Gaga was even starting to play the piano.

Although I will give gaga credit - she is definitely a genuine musician, so is at least on some levels a possible equal to Madonna.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I lived and i'm abroad half my time, and I do not Know a single person that ever heard of Cheryl. comparing her with Kyle is simply and totally absurd.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I wasn't alive in the 80's, but I think the only of Lady Gaga's singles that doesn't sound very suspiciously like a pop song from 25 years ago is Love Game. Even some of Gaga's album tracks don't seem like anything new. Dance in the Dark, for example, is literally a Madonna song.

Have to say, I haven't listened to Gaga extensively, but every song I've heard has always sounded like something I've heard before, and from the 1980s, not an exact copy, more a feeling I've heard it before many years ago. To be honest her image is very Grace Jones in the 80s as well, much more so then Madonna etc.

She has her fans who adore her, but I do wish a section of them would stop proclaiming her as some sort of musical, boundary pushing, genius, she isn't, she's a decent musician, works bloody hard and a very clever lady with a great back up team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with nearly the whole of this post. Except perhaps the Cheryl bit. I don't think Cheryl is amazing or anything, but she's been in the mainstream pop music industry since 2002, I think, so even if she does fade away into obscurity in 2 years, she's lasted an entire decade! Granted, she was with Girls Aloud for most of it, but still. Plus, will.i.am will make her songs if no other producers want to make music for her, so I think she'll be fine for a few more years at least.

Cheryl hasn't done anything original, musically, but she's had a very successful career, and she's been involved in some pretty good pop songs via Girls Aloud tbh.

But yeah, Cheryl is a bit of a sheep, and Lady Gaga even moreso. They've just done nothing for pop music. Rihanna and Katy Perry have indeed been the most influential artists in pop music this year. They're not at the same level as Madonna, of course, but they're doing well, and leagues ahead of Gaga tbh. One notable thing that I think we've seen in Rihanna songs is how she's a pop artist, yet so much RnB, dance and hip hop are incorporated into her songs. The Rihanna songs, being quite cross-genre, have gotten her a lot of fans, I think.

They've had a lot of succes this year for sure, but how are they the most influential, especially Katy Perry? What's so unique about her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've had a lot of succes this year for sure, but how are they the most influential, especially Katy Perry? What's so unique about her?

I have to wonder if Katy Perry would be even half as popular if she hadn't done the I Kissed A Girl song...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    I have to wonder if Katy Perry would be even half as popular if she hadn't done the I Kissed A Girl song...

Exactly.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with nearly the whole of this post. Except perhaps the Cheryl bit. I don't think Cheryl is amazing or anything, but she's been in the mainstream pop music industry since 2002, I think, so even if she does fade away into obscurity in 2 years, she's lasted an entire decade! Granted, she was with Girls Aloud for most of it, but still. Plus, will.i.am will make her songs if no other producers want to make music for her, so I think she'll be fine for a few more years at least.

Cheryl hasn't done anything original, musically, but she's had a very successful career, and she's been involved in some pretty good pop songs via Girls Aloud tbh.

But yeah, Cheryl is a bit of a sheep, and Lady Gaga even moreso. They've just done nothing for pop music. Rihanna and Katy Perry have indeed been the most influential artists in pop music this year. They're not at the same level as Madonna, of course, but they're doing well, and leagues ahead of Gaga tbh. One notable thing that I think we've seen in Rihanna songs is how she's a pop artist, yet so much RnB, dance and hip hop are incorporated into her songs. The Rihanna songs, being quite cross-genre, have gotten her a lot of fans, I think.

Are you seriously saying that Katy Perry and Rihanna are bigger stars than Lady GaGa?:confused: Neither are influential imo, and Katy Perry in particular is very dull, boring and most of her songs totally forgettable. Indeed, had she not married Russell Brand most people wouldn't give a stuff about her anymore. Rihanna is a good pop star, and I've liked a lot of her more current material (I hated Umbrella), but she can't sing live to save her life and I don't think she's ever written a song has she? In fact I've always felt that Rihanna is a bit of a Beyonce wannabe if anything.

I think your confusing being influential with being successful and it's not the same thing at all.
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd take Madonna and Kylie over Cole and GaGa any day. And I'm not even a fan of Kylie's music!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raven123 wrote: »
    How can you compare two innovators of pop with two sheep.

Both Kylie and Madonna can change the whole direction pop music goes instantly.

Cheryl Cole just gets told what to do and when the industry stops buying in to her, she will flop, I guarantee this happens within a year or two, she is no better than Kerry Katona and Jade Goody before her.

GaGa is basically Rihanna done to the extreme, she doesn't have any longevity whatsoever as she isn't original.

People like Florence, Daisy, Ellie Goulding and Marina are the way forward.

The natural progressors to Kylie and Madonna are Rihanna and Katy Perry.

Madonna, yes, but Kylie definitely no. And I don't think you can really say that Katy Perry will ever be as big as Madonna is/was because that just isn't going to happen. The closest any female has got to emulating Madonna's success is Kylie and look at how long she's been around. That said, Kylie will never surpass Madonna, ever.

As for what another poster said about Kylie's career being on the wane, I've checked out Kylie's album sales, and overall, they've mostly only ever sold between 300,000 - 500,000 in this country, so Aphrodite has done just fine. It's only about 3-4 of Kylie's albums that have been massive sellers. She's not in Madonna's league when it comes to shifting millions of albums.

But......I agree with what someone else has said.....there's room for all 4 of them. I'm sure Madonna will carry on being hugely successful and Kylie will carry on at her usual rate, both women have big enough fan-bases on a worldwide scale too (although I don't believe Kylie's ever cracked America). Cheryl will carry on (for a while) with her fluffy pop stuff and try to break America, and GaGa's next album, at least, will be a huge hit.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I think your confusing being influential with being successful and it's not the same thing at all.

Lady Gaga is NOT influential. She has been influenced strongly by other artists. Why can't people see this?

Lady Gaga has been more successful than Katy Perry and Rihanna, but she's not going to have any influence on music in the future, because nearly everything she's done has been done before. It's ABBA, Madonna, Ace of Base, Depeche Mode, etc. that have influenced pop music. Not Lady Gaga. She's only been influenced by them.

Just Dance is an extremely generic song, it's like the 2009 version of In My Head by Jason Derulo. Just a generic pop song with some RnB influences that everybody seems to like for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    She has her fans who adore her, but I do wish a section of them would stop proclaiming her as some sort of musical, boundary pushing, genius, she isn't, she's a decent musician, works bloody hard and a very clever lady with a great back up team.

This sums up my thoughts perfectly. When I first heard Bad Romance, I thought "Ooh, that's a relatively nice song", and then I come on the Internet and there's hundreds of people like "Bad Romance is the only good thing to happen to music in the past decade", "Lady Gaga is better than Madonna", "Lady Gaga has changed the whole music industry in one year". Seriously, it's all so over the top!

Bad Romance is just a slightly-above-average pop song. It's nice, but sounds like 80's pop music. It's quite dated, and similar has been done before. Even in 2010, many British artists have released better pop songs that Lady Gaga.

Also, an interesting piece of trivia I found out yesterday. Telephone was originally made for Britney Spears, but she turned it down, so Lady Gaga decided to use it for herself instead.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    This sums up my thoughts perfectly. When I first heard Bad Romance, I thought "Ooh, that's a relatively nice song", and then I come on the Internet and there's hundreds of people like "Bad Romance is the only good thing to happen to music in the past decade", "Lady Gaga is better than Madonna", "Lady Gaga has changed the whole music industry in one year". Seriously, it's all so over the top!

Bad Romance is just a slightly-above-average pop song. It's nice, but sounds like 80's pop music. It's quite dated, and similar has been done before. Even in 2010, many British artists have released better pop songs that Lady Gaga.

Also, an interesting piece of trivia I found out yesterday. Telephone was originally made for Britney Spears, but she turned it down, so Lady Gaga decided to use it for herself instead.

A bit behind on the trivia there, my friend.:D

Actually, a few months ago the demo itself leaked. It's on YouTube now.:)
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Madonna, but I think that Gaga is influential maybe not in a ground breaking musical way, but in that she brought back pop/dance music to the radio and forefront of the musical scene. Before she became popular, hit records were more about hip hop and R&B.
    She also made it okay to dress up and be unique visually again whereas in recent years before her the top stars have been very bland visually. She paved the way for a whole host of more visual stylish artists like Katy Perry, Rihanna and Ke$ha.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Gaga is NOT influential. She has been influenced strongly by other artists. Why can't people see this?

Lady Gaga has been more successful than Katy Perry and Rihanna, but she's not going to have any influence on music in the future, because nearly everything she's done has been done before. It's ABBA, Madonna, Ace of Base, Depeche Mode, etc. that have influenced pop music. Not Lady Gaga. She's only been influenced by them.

Just Dance is an extremely generic song, it's like the 2009 version of In My Head by Jason Derulo. Just a generic pop song with some RnB influences that everybody seems to like for no apparent reason.

How on earth go you know that GaGa won't influence anything in the future? Unless you have a time machine you can't possibly what will be influntuial and what will not.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I love Madonna, but I think that Gaga is influential maybe not in a ground breaking musical way, but in that she brought back pop/dance music to the radio and forefront of the musical scene. Before she became popular, hit records were more about hip hop and R&B.
    She also made it okay to dress up and be unique visually again whereas in recent years before her the top stars have been very bland visually. She paved the way for a whole host of more visual stylish artists like Katy Perry, Rihanna and Ke$ha.

Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears were doing dance-pop a few years before GaGa came out.:)
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Maybe Cheryl will end up shagging a ginger bloke, becoming best friends with a celeb gay couple, eating cake out of the bin, getting knocked up by some random passer by, going completely stark raving bonkers and then shacking up with a blue blood before rejoining GA in 2025 for a 'not about the money, honest' tour? ;)

Or the BBC brings back Catchword, the old Paul Coia quiz show for the 21st century as a rival show for Neighbours and hires her to present it (as according to the media she's sexy, young, a nation's sweetheart and more well-known than Coia- well why was Alesha put on SCD then?), meaning she's the next GA member to do a TV show after Kim and Sarah.

• Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears were doing dance-pop a few years before GaGa came out.:)

Their music had more of an R&B edge than Gaga.
  • Options
    BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Who knows if Cheryl Cole and Lady Gaga will still be around in 30 years time. People can say what they want about Kylie and Madonna, but they've both lasted a long time in a very, very fickle industry. Neither of them have fallen by the wayside like a lot of other 1980s pop stars have, i.e. Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Paula Abdul, etc.. Madonna's certainly sold more records than Kylie but Kylie is really the only female pop artist who can rightfully stand next to Madonna at this point in time especially in regards to such a long and varied pop career.
  • Options
    BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Well Madonna's released some turkeys over the years and it hasn't done her career any harm. Of course GaGa is nowhere near as well-established and she's at that "difficult second album" stage.

Re Kylie, I actually do feel that her career is on the wain at the moment. Aphrodite is well out of the Top 40 when albums released many weeks before it are still in there. Her last couple of singles haven't done well at all and when I last checked her tour was nowhere near sold out. If Cheryl were to announce a tour tomorrow, I bet tickets would be like gold dust. People want to see her (and for some Godforesaken reason listen to her).

I know the above quote is from four years ago, but Aphrodite ended up being certified Platinum in the UK. In fact, every studio album that Kylie has released from Light Years in 2000 to Aphrodite in 2010 has been certified at least Platinum. Ultimate Kylie was certified multi Platinum, The Abbey Road Sessions Gold. Kiss Me Once has been a disappointment, but it will still be certified Gold in the UK at some point in the future when promotion ceases and the tour is over. You have to remember that Kylie is a pop star nearing 50 years old, she's not guaranteed hit after hit after hit anymore, the same goes for Madonna. The one thing people should know by now is to never count Kylie and Madonna out. People said Kylie was over at the end of the 1990s, while people said Madonna was over after American Life. Both of their legacies are set in the pop world, they really don't have anything left to prove with regards to major commercial success. On the other hand, Cheryl Cole has seen a drastic drop in album sales in her short solo career.

Thoughtful, interesting post, mary patricia.

I'll be interested to see how the careers of all four women pan out in the coming months.

For my part, I used to really like Kylie but feel that it's time for her to retire from the music scene - quit on a (sort-of) high.

Cheryl: I think she's a weak singer but she deserves credit for turning herself into a very successful TV personality and capitalising on that success with hit records. She undoubtedly has something that appeals to many people, although how long this will last remains to be seen.

Madonna: I was a fan in the early days but I dislike her as a person and this has put me off her music. As she ages (53 this year :eek:), her slutty legs-akimbo dancing is looking increasingly desperate and sad imo.

GaGa: looking forward to hearing the new album, though I wouldn't say I was a massive fan.

Why should Kylie Minogue retire? She still puts on a fantastic show, she's still capable of recording great pop/dance music, she just needs to take a few more risks again and mix things up. She's a fantastic pop star.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Cheryl Cole replaced Kylie for those who like that sort of music (i.e. fluffy but catchy pop)? Note that Cheryl's recent singles have gone straight to no. 1 whilst Kylie's have struggled to make the top 10. Will gay men take Cheryl to their hearts in the way that they have Kylie?

Similarly, now that we have an edgy female star like Lady GaGa what place does Madonna have on today's music scene?

Have Kylie and Madonna had their day?

Lol Gaga Struggling after 5 yrs in the biz & 5 albums. Madonna 32 yrs in the biz new album with some of the worlds hottest producers being eagerly awaited.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,317
    Forum Member
    Has Cheryl Cole replaced Kylie for those who like that sort of music (i.e. fluffy but catchy pop)? Note that Cheryl's recent singles have gone straight to no. 1 whilst Kylie's have struggled to make the top 10. Will gay men take Cheryl to their hearts in the way that they have Kylie?

Similarly, now that we have an edgy female star like Lady GaGa what place does Madonna have on today's music scene?

Yes and "their day" lasted for decades on top. The other 2 flops you speak of won't.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Gaga is already starting to fade out already, I haven't heard any of her singles in ages. Cheryl has been off the radar for the last couple of years and if she wasn't returning to X Factor and gotten married she wouldn't have a great comeback

No one will ever come close to Kylie and Madonna, both have 4 decades of successful music and are still going strong especially with the competition of more recent artists, both (more Madonna) have changed pop music, many #1 and tops 10 hits world wide and very successful tours. Singers like Cheryl Cole can only dream.

Pop stars like Katy Perry, Rihanna, Ellie Goulding will have a few hit songs but will fade out 5 years later.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,493
    Forum Member

No, because Gaga (who has effectively already been replaced by Miley Virus) and Cheryl are both infinitely inferior.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Other female artists are doing way more better than Gaga. Once her main people left her, she's become crap, that says ALOT! She's not that talented. She's already flopping and playing less dates than before.

Cheryl, well she's lucky she's get those TV slots and radio plays, if she didn't, she would flop so hard.

Madonna will forever be Queen of Pop! She has seen them come and go. From Tiffany, Paula Abdul to Gaga now.

I like Kylie, her best days are gone but she will be around. She's a good performer IMO.

Mandingo sounds like a little monster.