Options

Who else doesn't enjoy New Years Eve...and why?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really dont like it, when I was small my parents would drag us around the neighbours getting more drunk by the minute and then I used to go clubs and hated it more...now I have two young kids I cant think of anything worse, hope I'm not a big Grinch of a disapointment to them!

Comments

• Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No you are not alone , dreadful fake fun, rip off prices and crowds, detest it , will never go out on NYE ever again.
  • Options
    dean wellsdean wells Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont enjoy it as its just a reason to to get totally wasted (drunk) and you end up forgetting what you did/said the next day.To me its just another number added to the year,new year same old thing
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another year gone, another year nearer death. Anyone looking forward to it, not me.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another year gone, another year a bit richer.:D
    Plenty to look forward too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another year gone, another year a bit richer.:D
    Plenty to look forward too.

Now you see there the thing, I am really looking forward to the NEW YEAR....I'm a very optimistic type but it's the nYE celebrations I detest...exactly what Barney06 said...FAKE!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    No you are not alone , dreadful fake fun, rip off prices and crowds, detest it , will never go out on NYE ever again.
    ^this.
    If I had my way I would go to bed and usually do.
    Unfortunately I am being dragged out by my husband this New Year's Eve to a party at our local, dreading it as I don't even drink so it will feel really weird being the only sober one there!:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I've never really "got" new year's eve.

Most bank holidays have at least some purpose behind them, but not New Year. After all, it's just a function of the calender. I guess at a stretch you could call that an event worthy of note, but it all seems artificial to my mind.

I'm grateful it's there, and that I get a day off work, but other than that I see no purpose to it.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    We don't go out, it's a bit too annoying. Instead my wife and I sit on our back patio and watch the fireworks at midnight. Especially since arizona just legalized the sale of fireworks.. no more cheap mexican fireworks this year!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Depends what I'm doing. If I'm at a party then I don't really like it (and this might sound unusual for a student but I hate New Year parties) but I don't mind if I'm sitting at home in front of the telly with some food and a glass of champagne (diluted with lemonade :D) I was at a New Year party last year and it was terrible.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    When I used to go out drinking, I always enjoyed Christmas Eve but hated New Year's Eve. I think it's so overhyped that you feel you have to do something......then it's normally always rubbish, too crowded and you end up walking home!

Plus it's my birthday on New Year's Day, which gets forgotten a lot and way too close to Christmas, so it's a crap time of year all round really.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I hate the hypocrisy of NYE. People who wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire 364 days of the year will clap you on the back and shout 'Happy New Year' in your face just cos they've had a few.

Then by 10 o'clock New Years Day, they're back to not talking. I go to bed early with earplugs in and sleep through it.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I can't stand is the sheer profiteering that goes on by way of charging anything up to £150 for entry. This year though I'll be a sad figure, all alone in the house with nowt but a bottle of whisky, a few cans and Jools Holland to see the new year in.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem with New Years Eve is that it's an event based almost entirely around drinking and not much else. Most other 'holidays' have something else too them but New Year's is just . . . .got to go to a party, got to drink loads, that's it.

Now there's nothing wrong with a good party but I think New Year's just feels a bit forced. Also everyone has spent all their money and drank and eat so much over xmas they're not really that interested in it.

Now if New Year's was, say, 1st July I'm sure everyone would be up for it ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    This year though I'll be a sad figure, all alone in the house with nowt but a bottle of whisky, a few cans and Jools Holland to see the new year in.

Even that's fake.

According to speculation and rumour, it's recorded, edited and trimmed to fit.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I hate going out on NYE - the pubs are so packed you can't get to the bar, or you have to pay to get in. There's so much pressure to 'enjoy yourself', and you end up at midnight with some awful stranger that you've been trying to avoid all evening, with their tongue down your throat!

Tomorrow night, I shall be having a pampering evening- I've got a bottle of champagne, easy to make 3 course dinner, a great facepack, bubble bath, clean sheets on the bed and The Office USA Series 4 on DVD, which I shall watch in bed until I fall asleep.

I'll then meet up with mates next week and have a great evening out, to compensate for having to go back to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    The thing I can't stand is the sheer profiteering that goes on by way of charging anything up to £150 for entry. This year though I'll be a sad figure, all alone in the house with nowt but a bottle of whisky, a few cans and Jools Holland to see the new year in.

Not the hootenanny! Anything but the hootenanny :)

Seriously, I'm going to be at home as well. Yes it's sad, but I've turned down a house party and trip away for the night as 1 - I don't want the hangover and 2 - I can't afford it.

After 10 years of p*ss ups I have now officially retired.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodgar wrote: »

No speculation about it.. it's a fact. I don't think they hide it either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even that's fake.

This is true. I can't imagine anything worse than pretending to celebrate New Years Eve when it's October.

Ok. . . .to be fair I can actually imagine lots of things worse.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even that's fake.

I know, but at least it's a half decent show.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel pressured to drink and be jolly. It seems a bit forced rather than a real celebration. I prefer birthday celebrations.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't do anthing these days so nothing to really dislike there.

I used to go out each year before I became a mother and had some of the best nights of my life. There was a group of us who always met up on NYE and I loved it. If you spend it how you wish to see the new year in I don't see how you can complain. There isn't a rule how it must be done.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a very effective way of catching all the germs and viruses that are on offer out there.
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only echo the sentiments here. I hate New Years Eve and typically end up in bed by 10:30pm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like crowded pubs. I don't like paying to get into crowded pubs just because it's NYE. I don't like fireworks. I don't like paying an extra 50% for the taxi because it's New Years Day.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I don't like crowded pubs. I don't like paying to get into crowded pubs just because it's NYE. I don't like fireworks. I don't like paying an extra 50% for the taxi because it's New Years Day.

This.

I refuse to pay for a ticket to walk into a pub when its free the other 364 days of the year.

Taxis are on double time, drinks are double prices.