Options

I'm disgusted by the "what customers do to annoy you" thread

Comments

• Options
    FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do your jobs, or go serve in Afghanistan for a year!

Ha! Why is that the alternative?

The general public are, on the whole, cretinous. Facing them with a smile every day is soul destroying, that's why I'm glad I only have to deal with them over the phone. At least that way I can pull any faces I want at them.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I'm disgusted by the "what customers do to annoy you" thread

I don't believe you're anything like that bothered by it. Part 1 of that thread started on 9 Dec 2007. Part 2 started on 11 August 2010. I find it hard to believe you've not noticed the thread before in the 9 months since you joined considering the number of posts you've made & the thousands of posts that have appeared there which will have kept it on the first page of GD for quite a considerable time. Your disgust would be more believable if you'd expressed it months ago, rather than leaving it until a miserable cold night in December when you're bored & can't think of something more constructive to do with your time. :D

I agree that the OP is probably just trolling, but to be fair, I have been a member since 07 and have never once looked inside the thread in question.. I might have a gander now to see if I share the OP's outrage! :mad:
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    Each cashier has to use a single till for matters of security when it comes to float. If £50 was found to be missing from a particular till at the end of the day but several people had used the till, it would be harder for the manager to work out who was responsible.

Probably, but as a customer that is NOT my problem or concern. That is a shop operational issue.

All i want to do is pay & go.

It's so annoying at convience stores going to pay & no-one is there. You pick a till, put your stuff down & when someone eventually arrives you get no apology, just a "move over to this till please". They don't even help you move your stuff.

If you can't have someone there, at least have a sign up saying "this till please" or better still have someone there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    The people in there moaning about having to do their jobs, badmouthing customers etc.. It puts me off going into a shop. During working hours you are paid to serve the public. Some of the public might not be the brightest at times, but they could have autism, learning difficulties or disrupted childhoods. You deal with it by playing dumb and being professional.

The customer is always right, and customer service standards in this country are on par with dog poop on the pavement. Its no wonder the country is facing economic turmoil. :rolleyes:

Kindly sod off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. Shop-keepers and workers are there to serve the customers who are always right remember, They should stop moaning or do another job. We pay their wages so have a right to good service and smiling faces every time.

No, they are certainly not always right .......... whoever made up that saying was an idiot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UKguy29 wrote: »
    No, they are certainly not always right .......... whoever made up that saying was an idiot.

I think it's original meaning has got lost.

I don't think it ever meant that the customer was right on every point.

It was probably more like, if you give them great customer service, help them as much as possible & be friendly & cheerful they will return to your store & spend again.

This is lost in a lot of shops & stores today. Every year my list of shops & stores i don't do business with gets larger usually to do with q's & bad customer service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Hurlley wrote: »
    Thats why immigrants are stealing all their jobs they want to do it! all the night shift work has been stolen once they learn English we really are ****ed.

They may be stealing jobs but they certainly provide much better customer service at the checkouts. The only other people that seem to care about giving good customer service is the older generation.

Given a choice to queue in, I know which queue I'd pick!
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife works for a well known pharmacy and I can assure the OP that the companys attitude to bad, rude, aggressive etc customers is................................don't come back again as you will not be served.

Result is a happy welcoming atmosphere for the staff and customers.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect the op has never worked in retail.

Do that, and then moan about the thread!Rude customers just ruins the day.
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we have established that shop workers are the crap on the bottom of shoes that deserve no respect because they should be grateful they have a job, & if they dont like it they can do 1.
    Okie dokie. Just dont moan when those people with low self asteem because it's been bashed out of them, go on to commit crimes. Seeing as they are the underbelly of society.
  • Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bundyman wrote: »
    Probably, but as a customer that is NOT my problem or concern. That is a shop operational issue.

All i want to do is pay & go.

Probably, but as a business that is NOT their problem or concern. That is a personal time management issue.

All they want to do is ensure security.

DEADLOCK!
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care how rude people might have been before me, if i'm being pleasant and polite then i expect the same in return (in any situation not just in shops)

I was in BHS yesterday and walked to the tills. Five members of staff were there, the first 3 were in a little huddle chatting looked up at me then completely ignored me to carry on their conversation so i walked to the next two who were also chatting and they ignored me too. I stood for a little while then asked very politely 'excuse me are these tills open?'

The older woman tutted and sighed and just looked at me with irritation then shouted at the younger girls who'd ignored me first 'will one of you get on the till' those three proceeded to argue about who was going to serve me while i stood there dumbfounded. I should have just dumped my purchases and left :rolleyes:

I worked in retail for years and would never have dreamed of behaving like that.
  • Options
    urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I frequently moan on that thread. Doesn't mean I give bad customer service, quite the opposite, I give excellent service. Still loath the minority of customers who seem to lack any common sense or social awareness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    The customer is not always right when they:

- Shout
    - Swear
    - Bully & intimidate
    - Spit
    - Throw things
    - Poke

I have witnessed or experienced all of the above. Fortunately I work for a company that has a zero tolerance policy about abuse of staff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people in there moaning about having to do their jobs, badmouthing customers etc.. It puts me off going into a shop. During working hours you are paid to serve the public. Some of the public might not be the brightest at times, but they could have autism, learning difficulties or disrupted childhoods. You deal with it by playing dumb and being professional.

The customer is always right, and customer service standards in this country are on par with dog poop on the pavement. Its no wonder the country is facing economic turmoil. :rolleyes:

I hate to tell you, the customer is NOT always right. that is a little like saying wives are always right, Women are always right, it is total crap.

Now people venting on a net forum about people venting on a net forum.. hmmm maybe hypocritical?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't work in retail but I am a receptionist in a hospital. Luckily for me I've never actually had a bad experience with patients and visitors everyone is generally OK to lovely!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    The idea that the customer knows better than the person providing the service is utterly perverse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred wrote: »
    The idea that the customer knows better than the person providing the service is utterly perverse.

We know that, but you let the "customer" believe they are right if you want to maintain a good reputation for your company or organisation. No one wants a bad reputation for upsetting their customers.

If you have a difficult "customer", you have to remember they are going to be difficult with anyone who is trying to help them - be it yourself or another colleague. Don't take it personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customers are assholes because they think if they kick off they will get what they want, no matter how idiotic it is, unfortunately it is normally these assholes that do get it becuase managers give in. The nice, calm person who deserves good treatment gets sod all because they are a pushover.
  • Options
    Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody that moans about shop workers is an absolute moron.

If your so clever go and work in a shop for a year and see how you get on.

Unless it's a good company to work for (and there aren't many) Minimum Wage, No Pension, Unsocial Hours, No Sick Pay and rude and ignorant customers to boot - No thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably, but as a business that is NOT their problem or concern. That is a personal time management issue.

All they want to do is ensure security.

DEADLOCK!

No

If they want my business, it should be their concern

Make me wait at tills in q's or because no-one is there to serve & then want me to go to another till when someone eventually turns up & i'm gone...you loose my business.

Quite honestly, if more people walked out when the service is lousy & they know they should...it would get better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bobbla wrote: »
    I don't care how rude people might have been before me, if i'm being pleasant and polite then i expect the same in return (in any situation not just in shops)

I was in BHS yesterday and walked to the tills. Five members of staff were there, the first 3 were in a little huddle chatting looked up at me then completely ignored me to carry on their conversation so i walked to the next two who were also chatting and they ignored me too. I stood for a little while then asked very politely 'excuse me are these tills open?'

The older woman tutted and sighed and just looked at me with irritation then shouted at the younger girls who'd ignored me first 'will one of you get on the till' those three proceeded to argue about who was going to serve me while i stood there dumbfounded. I should have just dumped my purchases and left :rolleyes:

I worked in retail for years and would never have dreamed of behaving like that.

Yes you should!...i would have.

If all the tills are open, they are doing their best & there are still q's, then ok, they can do more

But standing around talking & ignoring you...that deserves a walkout & a boycott. They obviously don't want your money
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbla wrote: »

I think some would write a nicely worded letter to BHs head office about it.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No

Make me wait at tills in q's or because no-one is there to serve & then want me to go to another till when someone eventually turns up & i'm gone...you loose my business.

Quite honestly, if more people walked out when the service is lousy & they know they should...it would get better

I don't suppose you read on the other thread what shop assistants reaction to customers saying they are never going to shop with them again is?

I think "Hurray" covers it. You are not as valued as you think you are. Plenty more where you came from. Sorry.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No

Good, as it's quite obviously customers like you that the thread in question is about.