Options

Character Assassination of Jefferies

Comments

• Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon40 wrote: »
    Sorry but when i first saw him on tv i said he did it!
    Seems like i was right.

Just look at the guys eyes - he is a guilty as hell.

He is being charged later tonight, so i'm affraid you are wrong.
    Why are you standing up for this guy?
    Are you related?:p
    Why the hell do we spend millions pursuing the perpetrators of violent crime when all we have to do is as ask you look into a televised picture and declare guilty or not guilty.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Seacam's back? Is that a new thing? Hello Seacam.
    Camino wrote: »
    i thought so too, hi!
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I for one am glad he's back :)
    Hello, Hello and Hello. :)
    quatro Irrespective of whether Jefferies is guilty or not - how on earth do you know he is a nice chap OP?
    I didn't write he was nice, I wrote "Good" and "Dedicated".
    It takes time, personal involvement, much interaction and plentiful conversation with someone - depending on how that person is relevant to your life [as employer, colleague, friend, brother-in-law, teacher etc. etc. etc], and how they choose to reveal their nature to you - before you will know who are they are - [and only within limits according to how private they are].

Then think about what they choose to conceal and not talk about.

Do we ever know anyone truly. How you can judge this man's character without knowing him, and assume he's a nice guy is just beyond me.
    I assume you are a nice person.

I don't know if this man is guilty of murder or not, ( I think not ),
    I thought Colin Stag was,
    for a very long while.:o :o

The real point of my post was to vent my gut retching over the media assassination of a person.

My other reason was/is because I feel, ( for the moment ), his arrest by the police has more to do with deflecting a particular type of accusation.

However according to a FM, he is being charged tonight/this morning.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently he's interested in Christina Rossetti. No, actually according to the Mail he is OBSESSED with Christina Rossetti and Rossetti was, according to the Mail, OBSESSED with DEATH, therefore, according to the Mail, Jefferies is OBSESSED with DEATH!

I am ashamed of the media in this country.
    OMG I'd better burn my copy of Christina's works or the police will come knocking on my door.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    It shows the modern media or a large aprt of it are nothing more than gutter dwelling hacks with no respect for people, their families, the legal process and justice system or actaully the truth most of the time, as long as it sells papers they couldnt give a flying fig.

Erm, yeah. That's kind of always been the case. Is anyone actually surprised by that?
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if Chris Jefferies is innocent or guilty. I don't know the man personally, therefore I couldn't say as to whether or not he is capable of killing someone. Neither am I privy to the information the police have, they wouldn't have arrested him on suspicion of murder without good reason. Something is peaking their interest.

One thing I do know, in this country the media treat people as guilty until proven innocent. Disgusting, all to up their sales and look as though they are acting in the best interests of the public.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,858
    Forum Member

I don't know if Chris Jefferies is innocent or guilty. I don't know the man personally, therefore I couldn't say as to whether or not he is capable of killing someone. Neither am I privy to the information the police have, they wouldn't have arrested him on suspicion of murder without good reason. Something is peaking their interest.

I think the overriding reason the police suspect him is simply because he had the opportunity and doesn't have an alibi. He is the most obvious suspect but the length of questioning and appeal to the public for information suggests that the police have little or no solid evidence against him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

I'm sure the whole case is based on his remarkable similarities to a classic Scooby-doo villain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    All journalists are the same. I just imagine middle-aged blokes with a pot-belly, bad breath and reeking of BO sat in a newsroom typing crap to titilate their readers.

:rolleyes:

Oh, here we go. Sweeping generalisations time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make no comment on Mr Jefferies part from to say that if he is charged I doubt whether he will get a fair trial after this trial by media. And if he is released he will be hurt beyond measure by the foul things written about him and said by others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I think it's disgusting the way single people are targeted as weird loners and second class citizens in comparison to people who co-habit when in fact far more violent crimes are committed by those in couples.

On the flip side, I have been targeted by one local weirdo for several years and have had to endure extreme intrusive behaviour to the point of harassment yet the authorities have taken very little interest at all. Perhaps you have to be murdered before they do.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    I think it's disgusting the way single people are targeted as weird loners and second class citizens in comparison to people who co-habit when in fact far more violent crimes are committed by those in couples.

On the flip side, I have been targeted by one local weirdo for several years and have had to endure extreme intrusive behaviour to the point of harassment yet the authorities have taken very little interest at all. Perhaps you have to be murdered before they do.
    Blimey, Lozza, that sounds really scary!!

We have a local man who is deemed "eccentric" - he has wild grey hair, wears really scruffy clothes, and mumbles to himself constantly. BUT he's the dad of one of my son's friends, and has long-standing mental-health issues. My son's friend is constantly trying to get his father some help, but his dad doesn't recognise he is unwell. It's very sad, but if there was a crime committed in the village where I live, I know this man would be suspect no.1.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The British media live for oppertunities like this. An eccentric loner to bully and they're creaming their pants. It's really disgusting and I can't believe they can get away with it.

Utter bastard scum, the lot of them. :mad:
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems not a lot has changed since the Medieval Age when the reclusive old woman or man living alone with a pet cat on the outskirts of the village was burned for witchcraft when something bad happens. :(

Humans are naturally social creatures, I think it must be a primeval instinct to be suspicious or hostile to anyone who is alone or doesn't conform to what is regarded as socially normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Humans are naturally social creatures

This is very true. However, considering how we are supposed to be "PC" now about accepting alternative lifestyles, why do loners still continue to be hounded and vilified in this way, not just by the media but by mainstream society at large?
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad the attorney general stepped in. Did anyone see the footage of him on Sky news that was in slow motion so when he raised his brow he looked really menacing.

When Barry George was convicted of Jill Dandos murder it was reported that he had a cleft palate and bulging eyes, as if physical flaws immediately make someone a bad person.

When Madeleine McCann went missing Professor Canter from the University of Liverpool said
    “Society probably regards the man as an oddball. Normally these offenders also have some sort of minor disability, which makes them feel even more isolated, such as a hare lip

Its really sad that society judges people whose appearance is slightly out of the norm.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,858
    Forum Member
    I see that the D Mail now refers to him as Prof. Strange. Seeing him on TV he didn't appear any stranger than vast numbers of other people one sees out and about. All the tabloids make constant reference to him being a bachelor. No doubt as a euphemism to suggest that as a single 65 year old man he must be gay or odd or both.
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im ashamed to say when i saw him on tv the other day before he was arrested or there was an suspicion about him, he came up on the screen and my friend and i went "he did it" and we both said, isnt that horrible., we're making a snap judgement call on someone we know nothing about just because we think he looks like he did it, something in his eyes, and we were half ashamed and half curious as to why we both had the same kneejerk reaction we said it at the very same second "he did it", i asked her why that came to her and she said "no idea, instinct? survival instinct", if the guy turns out to be innocent i'll feel terrible for writing him off like this and for the way the media have basically hung drawn and quarterd him since.

But if turns out he has done it, ill wonder why Joannas instincts werent picking up on him? :( as women do we ignore them because we think we're being "stupid>".
  • Options
    CharlieChanCharlieChan Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad the attorney general stepped in. Did anyone see the footage of him on Sky news that was in slow motion so when he raised his brow he looked really menacing.

When Barry George was convicted of Jill Dandos murder it was reported that he had a cleft palate and bulging eyes, as if physical flaws immediately make someone a bad person.

When Madeleine McCann went missing Professor Canter from the University of Liverpool said

Its really sad that society judges people whose appearance is slightly out of the norm.

My god, has Professor Canter still got his job? He shouldn't have.

The vast majority of offenders against children and women have no disability whatsoever. How on earth could a professor be persuaded to come out with such utter hateful and dangerous bull?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    im ashamed to say when i saw him on tv the other day before he was arrested or there was an suspicion about him, he came up on the screen and my friend and i went "he did it" and we both said, isnt that horrible., we're making a snap judgement call on someone we know nothing about just because we think he looks like he did it, something in his eyes, and we were half ashamed and half curious as to why we both had the same kneejerk reaction we said it at the very same second "he did it", i asked her why that came to her and she said "no idea, instinct? survival instinct", if the guy turns out to be innocent i'll feel terrible for writing him off like this and for the way the media have basically hung drawn and quarterd him since.

But if turns out he has done it, ill wonder why Joannas instincts werent picking up on him? :( as women do we ignore them because we think we're being "stupid>".

That is clearly why he has been arrested.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If/when it turns out he's innocent what recompense can he expect for the hassle the police have put him through?

Yes, damn the police for trying to catch murderers. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is absolutely no chance of a fair trial now anyway. Mr Jeffries should be released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just thought of something else as to why loners are such an easy target - could it be that the old-fashioned British eccentric is dying out and there is a generation of people (probably around 25 and under) who just don't have much experience with someone who is a bit mad but ultimately harmless? I'm just 27 myself but where I live has always been behind the times and when I was little you always knew who the local eccentrics were and it was no big deal that these people were around.

That seems to have changed quite drastically in the last ten years or so. Especially with the media fuelling paranoia within parents that their children can never acknowledge an adult male in case he's a child molster, so there is also a generation of kids growing up who probably just don't know how to handle eccentric characters because of how sheltered children are nowadays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Yes, damn the police for trying to catch murderers. :(

How would you feel if your new year period was spent in a cell being questioned about a murder you hadn't committed and then you were released to find your house had been taken apart?
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is absolutely no chance of a fair trial now anyway. Mr Jeffries should be released.

And if they find 100% proof he has done it? then theyre releasing a murder'er back into society. Its a horrible experince for him if hes innocent and he certainly needs apologies from the newspapers portraying him in the way they are but if hes guilty? will we think he deserves the way hes portrayed and more? horrific situation.
  • Options
    FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loner(check.)Keeps himself to himself(check.)Lack of interest in women(check.)Low personal hygiene(check.)Eccentric(check.)Not Jeffries but men in general:D:p:D