Options

Does Moffat reuse his old ideas too much?

CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,646
Forum Member
✭✭
I know It's not just Moffat reusing previous stories/ideas in the show but I had not realised he'd done it to the extent he has.

Blink of course was based on a short story featuring Sally Sparrow.

Elements from The Curse of Fatal Death made it into Series 5.

But his short story "Continuity Errors" (pdf of it here) which I've only just read seems to be a source of a lot of stuff.

The plot of the story features the Doctor
travelling back in time and rewritting the personal history of a particular person in order to get them to do something they refuse to do in the present.
Sound familiar? :D

The story is set in the largest Library in the known Universe which covers most of a planet and has copies of every known book.

It even features the diary of a time travelling archeologist. ;)

It also has the line "What to Monsters have Nightmares of? Me" later used in GitFP.

Finally a possible future reuse, the Doctor is described as "a good man, a hero in fact". Sounds rather like the description of the person River Song kills doesn't it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I know It's not just Moffat reusing previous stories/ideas in the show but I had not realised he'd done it to the extent he has.

But his short story "Continuity Errors" (pdf of it here) which I've only just read seems to be a source of a lot of stuff.

travelling back in time and rewritting the personal history of a particular person in order to get them to do something they refuse to do in the present.

The story is set in the largest Library in the known Universe which covers most of a planet and has copies of every known book.

It also has the line "What to Monsters have Nightmares of? Me" later used in GitFP.

Finally a possible future reuse, the Doctor is described as "a good man, a hero in fact". Sounds rather like the description of the person River Song kills doesn't it?

Uh, no, primarily because the sources you list here aren't TV episodes and aren't exactly held up as shining moments that the whole fanbase knows of. An awful lot of the best of New Who has, in some way, been based or influenced by work in other media and the VAST majority of the audience is totally unaware of that work so why not? Besides, good ideas are good ideas, providing the story works it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he does.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its more to do with the fact that he wants these stories to be accessed by a bigger audience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes he does.

No he doesn't.
  • Options
    TemporalParadoxTemporalParadox Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    No he doesn't.

Oh yes, he does!!!
    :o
    Sorry, couldn't resist :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, he does!!!
    :o
    Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Haha!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait there someone has actually made a PDF of what they deem to be 'Continuity Errors' by Mr Moffatt, wow that is actually really geeky and sad.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Steve wrote: »
    Wait there someone has actually made a PDF of what they deem to be 'Continuity Errors' by Mr Moffatt, wow that is actually really geeky and sad.

No, continuity errors is the title of a short story by the moff :)

which is available in pdf
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, continuity errors is the title of a short story by the moff :)

which is available in pdf

Ahh, now it makes sense now..... Nothing to see here, everyone can move on now lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I really liked his little story. I think he had reused ideas but then most people would not have read this, therefore it seems like he is just altering his previous work so that more people get to enjoy good story ideas. :)

Has he written other short stories and if so where could I find them?
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Millie87 wrote: »
    Has he written other short stories and if so where could I find them?

This is the orginal Sally Sparrow story if you haven't read it.

As far as I know he hasn't written any other short stories, though I wasn't even aware of Continuity Errors till yesterday.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    If someone has a good idea, but hasn't had the opportunity to realise it fully, it's perfectly understandable to take it and rework it into a new form.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no objection, there have been some distinctly Sapphire & Steel-ish moments in there as well. Besides, it's not like it hasn't been done before, wasn't Human Nature pretty close to the book?
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone has a good idea, but hasn't had the opportunity to realise it fully, it's perfectly understandable to take it and rework it into a new form.

Quite. Even Douglas Adams wasn't above doing it on occasion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no issue Moff reusing ideas from his short stories or other work as such...because within the context of Who on the TV show it will be fresh. I do get a little tired of his re-use of ideas from previous episodes though. I mean the Empty Child two parter and TGITF couldn't be more different to each other (well apart from the Doctor suggesting "dancing" in one, and actually "dancing" in the other;)), and really clever due to their subtlness...but by Blink, and more so the Library two parter, he did seem to be using a couple of ideas again....the latter felt like a greatest hit album....all fine if its your 10th or twenieth story...but for what was his fourth story...it is what brings, what is otherwise a brilliantly acted peice down....then I got the same feeling from the Eleventh Hour, which also incorperated a few RTD styles that didn't pace well for me....however that is what made the Beast Below a breath of Fresh air for me. It was a straight story, no need for twisty turny stuff...and dealt with political themes too....the ending is a bit iffy....but apart from that, it was nice to see something completely different from Moff's pen. But hey this is just one opinion....his stories tend to be a success...so he knows what he is doing and what formula works with the majority of the audience....
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't there only 5 basic plots in the world?

I don't think Moffy has that many.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Just rewatching Series 5 and Father Octavian describes the man River Song killed "A good man, a hero to many".
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the 'good man' she kills is the Doctor then that will be the most rubbish 'shock' plot element so far in the new series. It simply CAN'T be that straightforward. Also, how can she kill the Doctor when we know he's gonna be around for a while?? Silly and too obvious.

IMO she is going to kill an important figure in American history in the U.S.-set 2-parter that opens series 6. A 'hero to many'...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the 'good man' she kills is the Doctor then that will be the most rubbish 'shock' plot element so far in the new series. It simply CAN'T be that straightforward. Also, how can she kill the Doctor when we know he's gonna be around for a while?? Silly and too obvious.

IMO she is going to kill an important figure in American history in the U.S.-set 2-parter that opens series 6. A 'hero to many'...

It could be Rory because of the Roman stuff but IIRC no-one remembers that happening.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could do without yet more of:
    • "If [such and such] isn't performing the relevant act then how come we can hear it?"
    • no, that person is dead, you can hear their voice over the radio for other reasons
    • I'm the Doctor, here to be your occasional friend from childhood
    And if he continues allowing the Doctor to hop back and forth within the same narrative without consequence then he's going to eliminate even those wafer-thin shards of peril that remain since the sonic screwdriver became capable of absolutely everything.

Of course, all complaints are relative.
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OMG she assassinates Lincoln? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    I could do without yet more of:
    • "If [such and such] isn't performing the relevant act then how come we can hear it?"
    • no, that person is dead, you can hear their voice over the radio for other reasons
    • I'm the Doctor, here to be your occasional friend from childhood
    And if he continues allowing the Doctor to hop back and forth within the same narrative without consequence then he's going to eliminate even those wafer-thin shards of peril that remain since the sonic screwdriver became capable of absolutely everything.

Of course, all complaints are relative.

So it wasn't just me then? I know there's that whole 'fixed point in time' thing, but the distinction is based on the Doctor's intuition (supposedly) and is thus somewhat arbitrary. At the moment 'fixed point' just seems like an excuse for when time travel would be too simple a solution.

Not to fussed about plot element reuse, there've been loads of episodes and so naturally bits are recycled. 'Eleventh Hour' felt like a cross between 'Girl in the Fireplace' and 'Smith and Jones' but had such awesome quotes and scenes that I was still thrilled when I watched it.
  • Options
    revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get that impression sometimes. Such as with this Christmas special I thought it was a cross between Voyage of the Damned (space ship crashing, nothing can stop it and then the doctor saves the day just in time) and girl in the fireplace (doctor visiting a girl at different periods in her life)
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Just rewatching Series 5 and Father Octavian describes the man River Song killed "A good man, a hero to many".

Maybe she kills JFK in Dallas November 22nd 1963.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    Maybe she kills JFK in Dallas November 22nd 1963.

I may just have heard the noise of nail striking head. We shall see.