Options

Three BBC weather presenters to disappear from screens in cost cutting drive

Comments

• Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    So bye bye Stav,Lara and Elisabeth then?

Anglia viewers must be getting fed up with the BBC nicking their weather presenters,first Wendy going to London and now Rachel.

The use of freelancers and Met Office relief has been unique at Tunbridge Wells with Kaddy filming for Inside Out, Kaye being off sick and Nazaneen leaving for Sky News.

However with the addition of Rachel and Kaye increasing her shifts gradually, there should always be one of the three on the rota to cover the shifts.

As far as I know also, Stav and Elizabeth are the BBC Weather Centre relief while Michael and Lara are freelancers.

Sara Thornton is also a Weather Centre relief forecaster based at TVC, in addition to covering Kate Kinsella's maternity over at BBC London, she also covers shifts on BBC Look North NE&C, but those bulletins come from TVC, not Newcastle.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol.:D....after reading this thread(yes I`am bored).....one can only but laugh.

I must be missing something,I don't get what you find so funny?
  • Options
    crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Corbett is their best presenter,he has a cheery style about him,says 'goodbye' to weather systems as they leave our shores!I would love to see Genelle Aldred on the national weather.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I've seen Tomasz Schafernaker recently on the BBC but I'd heard a month or two ago that he'd been sacked. Is he staying or going? (I like him).
  • Options
    teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    I've seen Tomasz Schafernaker recently on the BBC but I'd heard a month or two ago that he'd been sacked. Is he staying or going? (I like him).

I thought this too - he was on only about 2 or 3 days ago :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »

He hasn't been sacked, but will be moving into a non broadcasting role with the Met Office this year alongside a couple of the other current broadcast forecasters who work on the BBC contract.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    He hasn't been sacked, but will be moving into a non broadcasting role with the Met Office this year alongside a couple of the other current broadcast forecasters who work on the BBC contract.

Thanks for that.

I'm guessing then that more weather forecasts throughout the day on News 24 will be just repeats of earlier ones, due to the reduced number of live presenters presumably not being able to provide 24x7 coverage. That's the only way I can see them saving any money.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,675
    Forum Member
    The changes were supposed to come in in November, weren't they? It's now January and Rob, Phil and Tomasz remain in their roles. (which is a good thing in the case of the first two, less so the latter)
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Is it just me who doesn't see the logic in making someone a "duty manager" if they failed a team leadership interview?

I'm struggling to understand why a "team leadership" interview is required to prosent the weather in the first place. :confused:
  • Options
    robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob's last forecast is at 10.30pm tonight according to Twitter.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad day.:cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob's last forecast just now on bbc1, sad as he said he'd been on for 20 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely his last forecast just now. Sad times.
  • Options
    Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen Rob's last forecast, he'll be missed :(
  • Options
    AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Devil wrote: »
    Just seen Rob's last forecast, he'll be missed :(

Not by me he wont.
  • Options
    i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob's last forecast is at 10.30pm tonight according to Twitter.

is Rob on Twitter?

if so do you have a link so i can follow him.

just seen his last forecast.

he will be missed.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob isn't on Twitter, but some of his collegues are. Alax Deakin. Matt Taylor and Tomasz of course.

A nice way for Big Mac to finish. A true professional to the end.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Darn, missed it. End of an era, it really is.

I wish I could understand the logic behind the decision, but I'm still none the wiser.

Rob will be sorely missed.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't realise his last was on BBC1 until it was too late, but I got his last BBC News forecast at 10.30pm. He seemed quite sombre:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOB0aueyGc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice capture but was really after the final one. Pretty sure they used to put them up on iPlayer but can't find it tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems his very last broadcast wasn't either of those,it was Weatherview a few hours later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Seems his very last broadcast wasn't either of those,it was Weatherview a few hours later.
    Yes but I think Rob treated the post-news forecast as his last. Weatherview could well have been pre-recorded earlier in the night.

In any case far more would have been watching the post-news forecast because they put Weatherview on at the most ludicrous hour of the morning.

Still, it was nice to hear the announcer refer to the fact that it was Rob's last forecast, with some affection I noted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read on another forum that Tomasz's final bulletin is on the 15th January.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I didn't know Rob had left, our entire family agree he was the best weather forecaster. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hasn't actually left,he's just being moved behind the scenes so he won't be on air prsenting forecasts any more.