Options

Voting Leak - Daily Star

Comments

• Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River Man wrote: »
    So the Star had only two XF leaks, and one of the articles was partly wrong? And that's supposed to mean we should believe what they say about DOI?
    I'm sure othh has links to the stories from the last 2 years :)

iirc they also had a DOI leak last year claiming Hayley was top nearly every week.
    And was she?
  • Options
    River ManRiver Man Posts: 2,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    So the Star had only two XF leaks, and one of the articles was partly wrong? And that's supposed to mean we should believe what they say about DOI?

Just posted another couple and there are more if you have time to search.

..and one of the articles wan't partly wrong. Their assumption that Eggnog would win was wrong, The fact that he led the early votes was correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just posted another couple and there are more if you have time to search.
    Well, for example the Hollis one says he had "the most votes in every show so far". Is that what's meant to be true? I ask because when you mentioned it earlier you said "He went on to win" which doesn't mean they must have been right about "the most votes in every show so far".
    ..and one of the articles wan't partly wrong. Their assumption that Eggnog would win was wrong, The fact that he led the early votes was correct.
    :confused: Doesn't that make the article partly wrong?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, for example the Hollis one says he had "the most votes in every show so far". Is that what's meant to be true? I ask because when you mentioned it earlier you said "He went on to win" which doesn't mean they must have been right about "the most votes in every show so far".

:confused: Doesn't that make the article partly wrong?

As for Hollins. The BBC don't release the figures so we can't be sure that he did lead the vote every week, but as he was a 33/1 no hoper at the time of the article and he went on to win the show, it strikes me as an impressive 'guess'

As for the Eggnog article. It's factually 100% correct, but the person who wrote it wouldn't make a very good tipster ;)

btw Here is the DOI article

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/playlist/view/125085/Mikey-Graham-secret-favourite-to-win

Again factually correct

http://dancingonice.itv.com/2010/node/1709

..but not great tipping :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member

You can lead a reporter to information, Riverman, but you can't make him think.

(or something)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can lead a reporter to information, Riverman, but you can't make him think.

(or something)

LOL very good.

The Hollins 'tip' more than makes up for slight lapses elsewhere.

Where this info leaves Johnsons chances is hard to say.
    He's a likeable and humble guy who is showing improvement on the ice and rather like Chantelle in CBB he has the USP of being the only none celeb. Plus a 'sympathy vote' too.

His chance certainly looks better than the 66/1 that the bookies gave him before this info came out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for Hollins. The BBC don't release the figures so we can't be sure that he did lead the vote every week, but as he was a 33/1 no hoper at the time of the article and he went on to win the show, it strikes me as an impressive 'guess'

As for the Eggnog article. It's factually 100% correct, but the person who wrote it wouldn't make a very good tipster ;)

btw Here is the DOI article

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/playlist/view/125085/Mikey-Graham-secret-favourite-to-win

Again factually correct

http://dancingonice.itv.com/2010/node/1709

Now wait a minute. In the Hollis case, there's no confirmation of the "factual" claim, but we're supposed to think it's right because of something the article didn't say; yet in other cases, we're supposed to regard the articles as correct even though they say things that were false.

And against all of that we have the many. many, many Star claims about Big Brother, supposedly from "insiders" and similar, which were nonsense.

Anyway, if we cross off articles like the Hollis one where the specific "factual" claims can't be checked, what are we actually left with?

And how do we know there weren't other Star articles which aren't being linked that were wrong?

(I will however agree that the Star was been right in more XF cases than I'd have guessed from their track record in other areas.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all very disappointing for us fans of the Ice Man though.

Rather like my favourite last year, Daniella, it seems he's struggling to appeal to a sunday night ITV audience.
    They're even more conservative than the SCD one it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, if we cross off articles like the Hollis one where the specific "factual" claims can't be checked, what are we actually left with?

We're left with 3 factually correct XF leaks and a DOI one.

That strikes me as impressive.

I agree their BB speculation was often ridiculous, but often very funny :D, which I suspect was the point with many of those articles.

As for being wrong. They've never been proven to be wrong with a 'leak'. The only one that was a little odd was their claim that the scottish girl had led every week in Over the Rainbow.
    She was eliminated the following week, but did have a VT from hell and was accused of 'hating' dogs and probably microwaving kittens ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.
    I agree their BB speculation was often ridiculous, but often very funny :D, which I suspect was the point with many of those articles.

As for being wrong. They've never been proven to be wrong with a 'leak'. The only one that was a little odd was their claim that the scottish girl had led every week in Over the Rainbow.
    She was eliminated the following week, but did have a VT from hell and was accused of 'hating' dogs and probably microwaving kittens ;)
    LOL. :D

And thanks for filling in the details of the evidence. :)
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL very good.

The Hollins 'tip' more than makes up for slight lapses elsewhere.

Where this info leaves Johnsons chances is hard to say.
    He's a likeable and humble guy who is showing improvement on the ice and rather like Chantelle in CBB he has the USP of being the only none celeb. Plus a 'sympathy vote' too.

His chance certainly looks better than the 66/1 that the bookies gave him before this info came out.

Thanks for all the info River Man. I must admit when I first saw it I didn't take it too seriously given it's the daily star but given the info you've supplied it could very well be credible.

I did have to laugh at the DOI in turmoil line though. Is it in any more turmoil now than when Coleen was topping the votes in series 4? At least he doesn't whinge all the time, works hard & has improved.

He won't win but he's not the worst & he will probably be around for a while yet. There's a few more who need to go before him.

Also pleasantly surprised that Comedy Dave is struggling. I don't mind him but he is one of the worst left now & had feared that he might get a lot of votes and stay a long time as he seems to be very popular online & obviously has the advantage of broadcasting to millions every day. Would have been interesting if they'd mentioned how Klingon Kerry is doing. Only a hunch but if she'd been near the top or bottom think it would have got mentioned - so guess she's mid table then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether this story is true or not, he now wont get the same votes this week. People will think there is no point in voting if he is top. I think this leak can only have a disadvantage for him and I think its unfair.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Its not unusual for the hopeless cases to get 20-40% support so Johnson with a story and more ability on 20-30 wouldn't be surprising. The question is where are the other votes - Laura and Jennifer started with few, Vanilla who is one of the other good skaters from this report has few. Dave doesn't seem to have many from this report so the radio 1 fanbase isn't beind him. Jeff we know hasn't got much support. That leaves Kerry, Denise, Chloe, Sam plus a questionmark over how well Laura and Jennifer are now doing. If its kerry and Denise pulling in the votes behind Johnson they have a problem. if its the good skaters, someone should pull past Johnson - though the problem may be that with 5 good skaters their vote may be split and we may not see the competition unfold properly as they may be vulnerable to the people with fanbases and the Johnson VC factor.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

She actually had no problem with dogs, the dogs deserted her in the VT they shot because she had unwisely given them all their treats in an earlier take ....and they gave her a vote losing song on top to make sure.......There was no reason from who was coming bottom in other weeks to think that the Star leak was wrong. The DOI equivalent is the move you can't do to the music no one likes, with the VT of you shouting at T and D, or storming off the ice and sulking.

You would expect a large element of the DOI audience to be impressed with a VC regardless of how poorly its owner skates.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is true, no offence to Johnson but it's a disgrace, I realise that he's slowly progressing but at the end of the day, it's about the performances and I personally prefer Laura as unlike Sam she han't had experience of skating and she's making great progress.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel a bit sorry for Johnson - the article is so down on him. If he was atrocious then I might understand it, but he's not a bad skater.

Anyway, the media and the audience always get their knickers in a twist early on in these shows when voting figures are leaked. But time and time again we have seen that one of the best (if not the best) dancer or skater ultimately wins.

All that fuss over Ann Widdecombe and she didn't even finish top 4!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I feel a bit sorry for Johnson - the article is so down on him. If he was atrocious then I might understand it, but he's not a bad skater.

Anyway, the media and the audience always get their knickers in a twist early on in these shows when voting figures are leaked. But time and time again we have seen that one of the best (if not the best) dancer or skater ultimately wins.

It's not only about who wins, and from my POV it's not even primarily about who wins. (I just want to see as many performances from the good contestants as possible.)

Every week that Ann stayed meant someone else left a week earlier than they otherwise would have.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not only about who wins, and from my POV it's not even primarily about who wins. (I just want to see as many performances from the good contestants as possible.)

Every week that Ann stayed meant someone else left a week earlier than they otherwise would have.

Fair enough but the same could be said of viewers who want to see as many performances as possible from Johnson.

I can see why he's popular. He's incredibly endearing and I think he and his partner are cute together on the ice.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

Agreed Sid. Why are people getting their knickers in a twist now when nobody better than him has left? And unlike Ann he is working hard and improving. He doesn't have the arrogance to think he just has to turn up & play the clown. He is taking the skating & performances seriously.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    d.tugby wrote: »
    This cannot be true surely. Sam is topping the voting, I think.

Difficult to say at this stage with so many contestants - a lot of people think Sam is safe so don't bother voting for him (he would never lose out in a skate off)

With 10 celebs left getting twice the vote of the second contestants could mean potentially only getting 15-20% of the vote (i.e. 80% of people are voting for someone else). Come the final - with only 3 acts - people may well gravitate to the best skater.
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Difficult to say at this stage with so many contestants - a lot of people think Sam is safe so don't bother voting for him (he would never lose out in a skate off)

With 10 celebs left getting twice the vote of the second contestants could mean potentially only getting 15-20% of the vote (i.e. 80% of people are voting for someone else). Come the final - with only 3 acts - people may well gravitate to the best skater.

It's a different kettle of fish at this stage in the competition voting-wise. There is always a shift when you get down to the last 5 or 6 and people start to vote for who they want in the final/to win rather than who they just want to get through to next week.
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont believe that article at all.its rubbish...he hasnt got the charisma or the fanbase.next....:sleep::yawn:
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if he would top the vote if he wasn't a hero.
  • Options
    CuteFoeHammerCuteFoeHammer Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    The star does have good scources I think when it comes to this show they are usually not far off the mark. I believe he could be getting in the top 3 everyweek, not because of his performance but because people want to back a hero.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    Taz93 wrote: »
    I wonder if he would top the vote if he wasn't a hero.

I tell you what not only would he not be topping the vote if he wasn't a hero , he wouldn't even be on the programme :D

He most certainly isn't the best saketer but has improved and has a good attitude

there are others I wouldn't mind seeing go before him and I would only want him to win if he learnt to skate much much better