Options

One Show Alex Jones

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    It's pronounced Aitch not Haitch, surely someone should have put her straight on that when she was recording the film,

Makes me cringe every time she mispronounces the letter 'H'.

Like you said fizzler, it's 'aitch', not 'haitch'. There is no emphasis on the 'H'. I'm surprised that no-one in the production team of the One Show has corrected her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    avidreader wrote: »
    Alex honestly seems like a lovely girl.

But she's a terrible presenter.

............ and also has terrible dress sense!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Castanet wrote: »

Ya, You are saying absolutely RIGHT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just get rid of it Alex:D
  • Options
    PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She almost seems too shy to be a presenter, she has no charisma, no spontaneity and is very wooden. She seems too rehearsed with all her questions and can't ad lib. She seems like a nice girl but why on earth they chose her as a presenter baffles me :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She almost seems too shy to be a presenter, she has no charisma, no spontaneity and is very wooden. She seems too rehearsed with all her questions and can't ad lib. She seems like a nice girl but why on earth they chose her as a presenter baffles me :confused:
    Very well put..in fact a mannequin which smiles at random intervals and has pre-recorded questions would be as effective and cheaper :)
  • Options
    stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As long as she keeps showing her cleavage, i don't mind....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stairway wrote: »
    As long as she keeps showing her cleavage, i don't mind....:D
    :D Over-use of freeze-frame can damage your lcd screen, stairway.....
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Let's hang her.
  • Options
    chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member

Omg, shocking dress sense. And her make up last night was dreadfull.:eek:
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Makes me cringe every time she mispronounces the letter 'H'.

Like you said fizzler, it's 'aitch', not 'haitch'. There is no emphasis on the 'H'. I'm surprised that no-one in the production team of the One Show has corrected her.
    Not sure if it is a Welsh thing but several accents emphasise their H.
    The Welsh singer Jem does it a lot.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The truth is she's not very bright is she ? She had a specific question about Jeremy Irons' wife (who is actually a pretty well-known actress) and couldn't even get her name right.She seems to get confused about who people are and is a slave to the autocue.The other night when the fire alarm went off she was gabbling away incoherently about going to VT.Much prefer Louise Minchin who is far more authoritative.
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not sure if it is a Welsh thing but several accents emphasise their H.
    The Welsh singer Jem does it a lot.

It has absolutely nothing to do with regional accents, it's ignorance, there is no need to add it, it makes the word harder to say and makes people sound a bit thick.
    The BBC should be ashamed of themselves for letting her do that HIV article, it was awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I want to sit you down infront of Levi Roots and watch your head explode :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to sit you down infront of Levi Roots and watch your head explode :D

They wouldn't have him presenting serious news articles would they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see why not. On The One Show they often rope in a celeb with only the tiniest link to a story. I can't remember if Roots has done a piece for them but it wouldn't surprise me if he had. Something to do with immigration or carribean culture, rasta, marley, notting hill, music etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why not. On The One Show they often rope in a celeb with only the tiniest link to a story. I can't remember if Roots has done a piece for them but it wouldn't surprise me if he had. Something to do with immigration or carribean culture, rasta, marley, notting hill, music etc.

But they pay her as one of their main presenters on a whole range of subjects so she should at least be able to pronounce basic words.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The truth is she's not very bright is she ? She had a specific question about Jeremy Irons' wife (who is actually a pretty well-known actress) and couldn't even get her name right.She seems to get confused about who people are and is a slave to the autocue.The other night when the fire alarm went off she was gabbling away incoherently about going to VT.Much prefer Louise Minchin who is far more authoritative.

I presume you know her personally to be able to say that she is not very bright, she does have a degree from Aberystwyth.

She made a simple mistake over a name. Lots of much better known people have done that, I did it myself only a few days ago but I presume you never get names wrong.

I saw a recording of the fire alarm and she seemed to follow what I presume is the planned procedure i.e. introduce next item then get out of the building. Obviously she was trying to do so as quickly as possibly but hardly "gabbling away incoherently".

I can't understand some people's enthusiasm for Louise Minchin, she seems very boring and no more talented than any of the other presenters, not even particularly good looking.
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I presume you know her personally to be able to say that she is not very bright, she does have a degree from Aberystwyth.

She made a simple mistake over a name. Lots of much better known people have done that, I did it myself only a few days ago but I presume you never get names wrong.

I saw a recording of the fire alarm and she seemed to follow what I presume is the planned procedure i.e. introduce next item then get out of the building. Obviously she was trying to do so as quickly as possibly but hardly "gabbling away incoherently".

I can't understand some people's enthusiasm for Louise Minchin, she seems very boring and no more talented than any of the other presenters, not even particularly good looking.

Well said mate about her.:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has absolutely nothing to do with regional accents, it's ignorance, there is no need to add it, it makes the word harder to say and makes people sound a bit thick.

Not sure what all the fuss about pronunciation of "H" is but different parts of the country pronounce things in different ways and it is certainly not ignorance (unless it is the South East accent of course!). I presume that English is her second language so that will affect her pronunciation but does it matter provided she is understandable? Would you call someone ignorant because they spoke with a slight French, German, Indian, London etc accent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Not sure what all the fuss about pronunciation of "H" is but different parts of the country pronounce things in different ways and it is certainly not ignorance (unless it is the South East accent of course!). I presume that English is her second language so that will affect her pronunciation but does it matter provided she is understandable? Would you call someone ignorant because they spoke with a slight French, German, Indian, London etc accent?

As I have said it is not down to regional accents, it's basic grammar that is taught in school whether in Cardiff, Edinburgh or London. Adding an "H" on to the beginning makes people sound uneducated.
    But she works as a presenter for the BBC so she should be able to pronounce it properly.
  • Options
    ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

She is a lot brighter than Baker, much better without him tonight. No doubt his smug features will appear somewhere this weekend.
  • Options
    GreenJadeDragonGreenJadeDragon Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianmatt wrote: »
    She is a lot brighter than Baker, much better without him tonight. No doubt his smug features will appear somewhere this weekend.

And he's back, good to see you haven't lost your Anti-Bakeritis:D

Well I hate to burst your bubble, Nostradamus but he is on Countryfile this weekend but as you hate the programme so much you don't need to worry, you can just change the channel. Or you could watch as he will be beaten by the wonderful Julia Bradbury in a boat race. There you go, something to make you smile, :)

And there is also a photo shoot with Matt Baker and the lovely Alex Jones by the Mirror which has still to be published so you never know, you could have a double dip weekend.:D
  • Options
    cass115cass115 Posts: 2,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianmatt wrote: »

With abit of luck we will see him on Country tracks sunday morning 11am!:D

The reason his shall we say good looking features are not on the One show is because hes doing some work for Comic relief! Helping those who are less fortunate!
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have said it is not down to regional accents, it's basic grammar that is taught in school whether in Cardiff, Edinburgh or London. Adding an "H" on to the beginning makes people sound uneducated.
    But she works as a presenter for the BBC so she should be able to pronounce it properly.

From an article on the BBC News site:
    British English dictionaries give aytch as the standard pronunciation for the letter H. However, the pronunciation haytch is also attested as a legitimate variant. We also do not ask broadcasters who naturally say haytch to change their pronunciation but if a broadcaster contacted to ask us, we would tell them that aytch is regarded as the standard pronunciation in British English, people can feel very strongly about this and this pronunciation is less likely to attract audience complaints.

Haytch is a standard pronunciation in Irish English and is increasingly being used by native English-speaking people all across the country, irrespective of geographical provenance or social standing. Polls have shown that the uptake of haytch by younger native speakers is on the rise. Schoolchildren repeatedly being told not to drop Hs may cause them to hyper-correct and insert them where they don't exist.