Options

As well as your own team,do you have another team that you cheer on and why?

NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
Forum Member
✭✭
Mine is Spurs because of the kind of football they play. Not the best defensively but generally good to watch.:)

Comments

• Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not cheer exactly, but I do like Real Sociedad, Celtic and Juventus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Man Utd fan but I also cheer on Blackpool as its my local team but its a bit more of a problem this season even though I've been to a couple of games as the season ticket holder was unable to go (Villa away and Chelsea at home last Monday).
  • Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    Arsenal fan here who also has a soft spot for Liverpool, simply because I also liked them as a kid.
    They had a terrible last year but now deserve to be in the top 5.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    Rangers fan here, but with a soft spot for St Mirren due to my Grandpas connections with the club.
  • Options
    Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macclesfield Town.

I had one of those management games in about '94 where you had to be a Conference team so I always started with Macclesfield.

Still have an affinity for them now, as a Newcastle fan.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool and my home town none league team.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born in Gateshead, local team comes first, so I'm a Gateshead supporter.

I like to see Newcastle and Sunderland do well as well though. (and I'll even admit to checking the Spartans results :o )
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I support Portsmouth, but also follow Hamburg SV and Luneburg SK as they're the local teams where mum came from (masinly HSV as LSK being non-league were a lot harder to get info on pre-internet) and have a soft spot for Bournemouth after seeing them beat Southampton in the League Cup and quite a few ex-pompey players play there.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't really say I cheer them on or am a fan, but I follow Roma, have done since the Channel 4 glory days of Gazzetta.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Support Spurs, but follow Barnet as they're my local team these days, and via my Dad, Celtic and Dundee United.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Support Spurs, but follow Barnet as they're my local team these days, and via my Dad, Celtic and Dundee United.

I support spurs, Barnet are my local team too!

I live in a strange house my dad supports Chelsea, my mum 'supports' villa, and my brother man utd. I don't neccesarily cheer them, but I'll support them in a game if them doing well doesnt affect spurs.

In almost every league theres a team I like to see do well but I don't really cheer/follow/support them.
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 11,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arsenal fan, but I always look out for St Pauli's results, as my "foreign team". Also quite like Palermo due to a great time with them on Football Manager.

I also go and see my most local team, Dartford, if and when I get the chance, which is less frequently now I'm at uni - nice to see them moving up the leagues though.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few Arsenal supporters I know regularly go and watch Barnet because of the price of going to the Emirates.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    soft spot for Juve, due to their 1980s wonderful team with Platini, Boniek, Scirea, Rossi and Zoff (etc). But they are awful these days.
    I like Real Sociedad as lived near there for a bit some years ago. Ditto Athletic Bilbao, especially when they take on Real Madrid!

Locally I look out for Charlton's results. I always hope the ugly football sides get relegated but they seldom do. I hope WBA and Blackpool can stay up this year for eg.
    Soulboy - I wish Arsenal were still Woolwich Arsenal :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are lots, the main one being Inter. I take a lot of interest actually and watch almost as many of their matches as Arsenal, even if they're not on TV i might try and find a feed online. The joy/despair in seeing them score and succeed or not is comparable too.

Then for many reasons i have a spot for Fiorentina, Palermo, Atalanta, St. Pauli, Brighton, Hoffenheim, Livorno, Marseille, and Villareal.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    St Pauli look fun, or the fans do anyhow.

also a mention for Marseille. I'd like to go to a match in their stadium, great atmosphere
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it St Pauli who have the little model trains carrying beer and wurst around the stand?
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, no. There are a few teams that I look out for their results depending on where I am, where I've lived, if I've got family or friends in other parts of the country etc.
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    Barcelona are the team I love and Arsenal are my favourite English team .... I love the beautiful game .
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsenal and Brighton- Love them both, based in Brighton so see them play regularly and Poyet has them blaying excellent football.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    It's a bit random and I am not sure I have a plausible explanation but after Liverpool I support Rushden and Diamonds.

I just remember in the Max Griggs days in the late 90s when they were coming up through the leagues and had a great set up with a fantastic modern ground and awesome general facilities benefitting the community from a club only formed in 1992. To me at that time they were a great example of how a football club should be - and I remember saying to my son in about 1999 that RDFC would be in the Premier League by 2010. Didn't quite happen did it!!

At that time I'd never been to Nene Park or seen them play but now I have been there 3 or 4 times and have seen them a few times away at clubs near where I live like Northwich, Wrexham, Altrincham, Chester, Shrewsbury ...etc.

They are still near the top of the conference this season and have an outside chance of the play offs this year having been in them last year but really since Griggs went (in 2005 was it) they are not likely to ever make the 'big time' again altho returning to the league is a realistic hope.

Players like Lee Tomlin (now Peterboro) and Simeon Jackson (now Norwich) came from Rushden and I look out for them.

Other teams I like include Bournemouth, Scunthorpe, Exeter and Charlton due to them being especially nice to me and my son when we did a charity trip round the 92 grounds in October 2008
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Went to the 1992 Champions League Final at Wembley, between Barcelona & Sampdoria , with a Catlan who was studying at Hallum university in Sheffield , and managed to get her a Ticket for Game , went Md when Koeman scored winner for Barca, liked them ever since (apart from when we played them in 2001 CL ):D
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also follow the (not so) Mighty Dabbers (Nantwich Town), as I can see the ground from my window, and the matches are cheap to go to, and the people are friendly to chat to.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,637
    Forum Member
    Although Liverpool are my main team, i do follow Tranmere, with Tranmere being a 30/40min bus ride, & have been to a few of there games. Great moment was Tranmere's cup run in 2001, when the beat Sunderland[although a bit controversially] then beat Everton away, & came from 3-0 down at HT to beat Southampton 4-3 in a replay, & played Liverpool in the 1/4 finals.
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look out for the results of St Pauli, VfB Stuttgart, Borussia Dortmund, Livorno, Cliftonville, Cork City FORAS, Ipswich Town, Bloemfontein Celtic, Villarreal and Real Betis.

Some of them because they are places I've lived or have family connections to, some I've started to look out for after Celtic played them in Europe and their fans were friendly towards us, Livorno because of the political leanings of their Ultras and Bloemfontein Celtic because we share the same name and they also play in green and white hoops.