Options

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
Forum Member
✭✭
I really enjoyed the series of "Antiques Road Trip" which ended last Friday.
"Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" has followed in it's time slot.
But the commentry is irritating and cringeworthy.
The narrator talked far too much and called Phillip Serrell called "The Fox" throughout the show and Eric Knowles "Knocker."
Ever since Dave Lamb found fame as the "Come Dine With Me" voice over person it seems trendy now to have narrators make constant remarks throughout the programme and it spoils these shows.
Why are these narrator people necessary?

Comments

• Options
    AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more - I like 'antiques' programmes and was looking forward to seeing favourite experts (James Lewis, David Barbie, Mark Stacey) - but the voiceover person's fatuous commentary and relentless use of those ridiculous 'nicknames' just about drove me crazy! :mad:

I think I'm going to have to give this one a miss! :(
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 40,249
    Forum Member
    Love the show but the voice over really over does it - calm down dear!
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I started watching this, the first thing that came to mind was that he was trying to be like Dave Lamb - but failing. I would much prefer Tim Wonnacott to be doing the commentary, I know some people didn't like him on Antiques Road Trip, but he was much better than this chap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss Antiques Roadtrip :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is series 4 of the show and the nicknames were given to them back at the start. I suppose to give each one a character like in a boxing match as it's a competition.

I think a lot of people missed the previous series as they were shown earlier in the day, think it was usually around 2.30pm. My Mum tipped me off about it and I Sky+ them.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not bothered by the commentary.

The Fox needs to start buying proper antiques.
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an okay show, but not as good as the Road Trip it replaces. The amounts they have to spend seem a little arbitrary, and they don't even spend it all. It's fun to see them haggle the price up to multiples of what they originally paid, though, which is certainly a novel twist on the usual dull auction format.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is fun to see 'Franksey' get battered by a proper dealer this week. Helps, of course, when his opponent buys actual antiques and not a load of rubbish!
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    It is fun to see 'Franksey' get battered by a proper dealer this week. Helps, of course, when his opponent buys actual antiques and not a load of rubbish!

He's a funny bloke. He didn't seem to try very hard at the carboot sale, only spent about £100. Then he went to all that trouble with a G plan drop-leaf table from the 60's, sanding and polishing, just to make £5.
    Mind you, he did do well at auction with his silver. I think his problem is lack of retail customers, the other dealers have mug punters outside the trade who are prepared to buy practically anything on the advice of their favourite "expert".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »

Thrashed every day:o

David Harper " What's your very very lowest trade price on that?"

Dealer " £90"

David Harper " I was thinking of £20"

Dealer " I'll do it for £30"

David Harper " Let's shake on it":p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand mark franks .. he deserves to beaten .. He has brought some tat

Not the best pairing ,,
  • Options
    NormandyMaryNormandyMary Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kept waiting for Lorne to pop up and give ol' Franksey a hand. So glad he lost this week. He's so full of himself. Also. he was never shown at his house like the others. Does he live in a caravan by any chance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark Stacey is taking a pasting this week:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Mark Stacey is taking a pasting this week:o

Mainly because Jonty Hearnden has a neat trick of selling a chair to a posh lady for several hundred pounds more than he paid for it. I wonder if said ladies are watching the show and realise how much money he has made from them. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly because Jonty Hearnden has a neat trick of selling a chair to a posh lady for several hundred pounds more than he paid for it. I wonder if said ladies are watching the show and realise how much money he has made from them. :eek:

This is where Jonty learnt his trade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvcD4Czx4Y
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish jonty would buy something other than chairs!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

At least he doesn't grovel:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    It's an okay show, but not as good as the Road Trip it replaces. The amounts they have to spend seem a little arbitrary, and they don't even spend it all. It's fun to see them haggle the price up to multiples of what they originally paid, though, which is certainly a novel twist on the usual dull auction format.

I prefered Antiques Road Trip too.
    I get annoyed at how rushed the selling part is in this show.
    The contestants wouldn't drive hundreds of miles (petrol money) to a sell an item to a particular person if that person was going to refuse to buy.
    This seems a little odd to me. I really do wonder if after the filming the buyer turns round and says "actually it isn't as good as it looked in the picture you sent and I don't want it."
    The seller then replies "OK but just pretend to buy it then for the sake of the programme."

I like Mark Stacey, he is one of my favourites.
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    I prefered Antiques Road Trip too.
    I get annoyed at how rushed the selling part is in this show.
    The contestants wouldn't drive hundreds of miles (petrol money) to a sell an item to a particular person if that person was going to refuse to buy.
    This seems a little odd to me. I really do wonder if after the filming the buyer turns round and says "actually it isn't as good as it looked in the picture you sent and I don't want it."
    The seller then replies "OK but just pretend to buy it then for the sake of the programme."

I like Mark Stacey, he is one of my favourites.

The use the Internet first !!!

Quite often you here the expert say you liked it in my email so they must send them pics first and an accurate description
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Hitman completes a whitewash:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    The Hitman completes a whitewash:p

Didn't have much competition did he? Mark Stacey is possibly the most useless "expert" on bargain hunt (and that's no mean feat with James Lewis and Charles Hanson on the show!) Didn't he manage to make two losses this week???

Jonty never really left his comfort zone, apart from today. Just bought cheap furniture, mostly chairs and sold them to overly rich women contacts. It was the same everyday, Mark Stacey would be in the lead, till Jonty clinched a massive three figure deal on a chair to romp home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As anticipated, James Lewis winning easily.

Should be a good week:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barneyross wrote: »
    Didn't have much competition did he? Mark Stacey is possibly the most useless "expert" on bargain hunt (and that's no mean feat with James Lewis and Charles Hanson on the show!) Didn't he manage to make two losses this week???

James Lewis always does really well on other antiques programs though (Antiques Roadtrip and Put your money where your mouth is), he always knows what items to go for and makes huge profits, but for some reason this doesn't happen on Bargain Hunt....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Is the food one ever making a comeback, use to like the food one of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Hammer did very well but The Lionheart proved that he's the Master:p