Options

Worst form of public transport...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    All public transport is crap and overpriced. It's cheaper to drive unless you're prepared to book a ticket 256 weeks in advance.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I don't get this whinging about bus drivers being rude. They are there to drive, maybe also check your ticket, nothing more...

What else do you expect him/her to do? Give you a guided tour? Provide light refreshments, maybe introduce you to your fellow passengers?

Well, stuff like when there's a huge puddle in the road at the bus-stop so you move 10ft along the road and the driver insists on stopping right next to the stop and stopping 4ft from the kerb, thus forcing you to wade through the puddle to get onto his precious bus rather than just, y'know, stopping a few feet sooner or later.

Or when you rush to the station just in time to hear the bus doors close so you wait, in vain, while the driver counts up his change, changes the destination sign on the bus, puts away his newspaper, adjusts his hat and then, 2 minutes later, finally reverses away from the stand without you.

Or when you jump onto the bus in the pouring rain and thenhave to endure the driver drumming his fingers on the wheel and tutting while you have the audacity to waste 20 seconds finding the correct bloody change and THEN, once you're in your seat, he sits there for another 5 minutes anyway because he's actually ahead of schedule.

Then there's rail-link buses.
    I understand why train schedules need to be synchronised.
    they have to be able to transfer passengers at stations all over the country.
    I have NO f**king clue at all why a local bus service needs to have it's buses arrive at the train station at ten-past the hour when all the bloody trains leave ON the hour, thus forcing you to sit at the station for 50 minutes.

So, yeah. Buses.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    The tube - it's not wheelchair accessible!

I never really thought of this before! Is that not against the law now? How do wheelchair bound people get around in London then? Surely they are not expected to fork out for taxis?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I never really thought of this before! Is that not against the law now? How do wheelchair bound people get around in London then? Surely they are not expected to fork out for taxis?

We did this one a while ago and, IIRC, the laws about disabled access have clauses about viability and old buildings and most tube stations qualify on both counts.

Besides, last time I checked buses weren't wheelchair accesible either and they serve the entire nation rather than one single, overcrowded, self-important, city.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    We did this one a while ago and, IIRC, the laws about disabled access have clauses about viability and old buildings and most tube stations qualify on both counts.

Besides, last time I checked buses weren't wheelchair accesible either and they serve the entire nation rather than one single, overcrowded, self-important, city.

Bit hard on wheelchair bound people though isn't it? I live in a small town in Scotland and we have wheelchair friendly trains and buses so if we can do it you would think large cities would get their fingers out.
  • Options
    Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    The tube at evening rush hour on a boiling hot summer's day.
  • Options
    AlezAlez Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A rickshaw when you're late for work.
  • Options
    sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alez wrote: »
    A rickshaw when you're late for work.

:D:D:D:D

Taxis, for the horrendous profit they make :eek: at my expense :(, plus the minimum fare thing :mad:

I like buses and trains :o
  • Options
    sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trams aren't very good, it's quicker to walk :eek:
  • Options
    Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit hard on wheelchair bound people though isn't it?

You know, most people aren't actually tied to their chairs 24/7...
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The buses in West Drayton are pretty expensive but they turn up pretty regularly. They've been a godsend for me visiting the hospital since I can't drive.
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst form of public transport is that on which the public travel.
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    I have nothing constructive to say other than this should be a poll:p

Seriously, buses are the worse.
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree with buses. I took one a couple of years ago in London, but hadn't realised that driving a bus had become part of the parole rehabilitation agreement for TDA offenders
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    The tube - it's not wheelchair accessible!

Some of it is, and some of it isn't.

All new stations have to by law be wheeelchair accessible, e.g. the Jubilee Line extension.

The same applies to the Docklands Light Railway and East London Line (new stations) for example.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/step-free-tube-guide-map.pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/our-upgrade-plan-london-underground-february-2011.pdf
    What do you think is the worst form?
    Personally i hate buses. They're always filthy and overcrowded and a lot of bus drivers are very rude...

Also they change timetables without making it obvious to the general public that they're doing so which has caused me NO END of inconvenience. They haven't even updated the timetable online, so i still don't know when the effing bus comes!!
    :mad:

You should be able to find the latest timetable changes by looking on line in advance.
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bus service in Bristol without a doubt. Dirty, clapped out buses, overpriced fares, unreliable, stroppy drivers who 50% of the time are not waiting at the stop during driver changeover... on the other hand walking 3 miles to work 4 days a week instead is doing me no end of good :D
  • Options
    Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Some of it is, and some of it isn't.

All new stations have to by law be wheeelchair accessible, e.g. the Jubilee Line extension.

The same applies to the Docklands Light Railway and East London Line (new stations) for example.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/step-free-tube-guide-map.pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/our-upgrade-plan-london-underground-february-2011.pdf

You should be able to find the latest timetable changes by looking on line in advance.

Yes, some stations are, and some aren't. Which makes it a fairly useless bit of transport if you want to make a complex journey involving line changes and things. And there's not a lot of point having accessible stations, when there are no accessible trains...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Buses round here are pretty much all wheelchair accessible, as they were when I was in Edinburgh. They have electric ramps that can be unfolded into the kerb to help disabled wheelchair users get on and off, and can also be lowered too. Each bus also has two wheelchair places at the front, with seats that fold down for non wheelchair users when no one disabled is travelling.
  • Options
    SteelToupeeSteelToupee Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Not in a million years would you find me catching a peasant wagon. Anyone who has to catch a bus beyond the age of 25 can officially consider themself a failure.

As for the drivers. Line them all up and shoot them. They're all so miserable we'd clearly be doing them a favour.
  • Options
    open-armsopen-arms Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I get buses everyday to and from work and some of them are dirty and the driver will overcrowd the bus sometimes. Sometimes get on and a driver does not know the route or work the ticket machine, I got overcharged by £1.20.

I hate it when people leave bottles on buses that roll about and hit your feet or bash off walls. Buses are a haven for people who swear at the top of their voices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, New Forest (Wilts & Dorset buses:mad:)

I use Wilts and Dorset for college everyday and actually find them really good at getting there on time plus the drivers are mostly friendly - well, compared to Bluestar which I was waiting ages for the other day :mad: and the driver barely even acknowledged anyone. Although with W&D if you go through a floody bit the water travels all up the bus which is a pain.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Not in a million years would you find me catching a peasant wagon. Anyone who has to catch a bus beyond the age of 25 can officially consider themself a failure.

As for the drivers. Line them all up and shoot them. They're all so miserable we'd clearly be doing them a favour.

What a sweeping generalisation!

Some of us with epilepsy aren't allowed to drive so we have to use the bus.

The bus drivers in my town are hardly miserable. They chat,laugh and joke.
  • Options
    open-armsopen-arms Posts: 474
    Forum Member

Some of us cannot drive or afford a car (and running costs), what choice have we got? :confused:

Indeed the bus has some good points, you can read a book or listen to some music while someone else does the driving.
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This made me laugh out loud. What a muppet :D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Yes, some stations are, and some aren't. Which makes it a fairly useless bit of transport if you want to make a complex journey involving line changes and things. And there's not a lot of point having accessible stations, when there are no accessible trains...

I thought pretty well all the trains were accessible, what with the train door entrances being level with the platform heights, other than perhaps at mind the gap stations.

Whatever the situation, I hope things improve in the future, as I don't like steps, even though I'm not disabled myself.