Options

Are Oxbridge students the most intelligent?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I'd like to go further and posit the novel relativistic proposition that there is no such thing as intelligence, and thereby elevate myself to gee-nius :cool: . There see, I leap-frogged you when your guard was down
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not universities that make you brainy, but books. The more books you read, the brainier you become.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the most intelligent and clever people I have ever met have never been to university at all. A myth is being perpetuated that university students are more intelligent than the general population and whilst there are some very intelligent people at unis, there are lots who are no better or worse than the rest of the country.

I completely agree.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the most intelligent and clever people I have ever met have never been to university at all. A myth is being perpetuated that university students are more intelligent than the general population and whilst there are some very intelligent people at unis, there are lots who are no better or worse than the rest of the country.

I agree with you. However some of the most sparkling vibrant interesting people I have met did go to university.:D I did'nt but wish I had.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I agree with you. However some of the most sparkling vibrant interesting people I have met did go to university.:D I did'nt but wish I had.

'Tis never too late.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    'Tis never too late.

True but now it would be for the wrong reasons. Young people need the places and i have other very rewarding commitments. But I regret the missed opportunity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It's not universities that make you brainy, but books. The more books you read, the brainier you become.
    Wait, so it ain't webpages? Dagnabbit, I been done reading these webpages for ages and ages and I ain't seeming to be getting any smarter. I guess I gone goofed again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    What happens if you just look at the pictures like I do?
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody here really believe that they would be able to distinguish between those forum members who had been to Oxbridge, versus those who had been to other, supposedly lesser universities, versus those who had never been to university at all; solely on the basis of the quality of their posts here?
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heres an example that may answer your question, and this is true.
    One student who got A* in all GCSE's, 12 in total, predicted A's in all A levels, from a normal working class family and state school educated, passed all entry exams and got an interview at Oxford. Went up there for the 3 days of interviews, but wasn't offered a place. She later got 2 A*'s, and 2 A's at A level. Now happy at a another university.

Another pupil there at the same time for interviews, private school educated, very rich family, with only 5 A* GCSE's, was offered a place.

So no, Oxbridge do not have the most intelligent pupils.
  • Options
    seawitchseawitch Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flakecake, perhaps the girl did badly in her interviews.

I've sat on employment interview panels and I've noticed how the Oxbridge graduates excel in interviews.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seawitch wrote: »

I've sat on employment interview panels and I've noticed how the Oxbridge graduates excel in interviews.

Yes I guess she must have but the question was whether they hold the most intelligent pupils, not whether they are better at interviews. Surely a University place should depend on whether you are able to do the work, not whether you are able to sell yourself regardless of your ability to deliver.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    seawitch wrote: »

Something worth noting. Over the years I've learnt that intellegence and hard work is simply not enough to really get on. Other than certain specific careers (like professors of physics or mathematics), for most top jobs in industry and government what is most important is your connections, background, confidence and the way you speak and behave. You also need to be reasonably intellegent, but not a genious IQ.

People who go to public school and then on to Oxbridge will tend to have more of these 'right' behaviours and connections and this is the main reason they tend to dominate most of the top jobs IMO rather than the fact that they are super intellegent.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Something worth noting. Over the years I've learnt that intellegence and hard work is simply not enough to really get on. Other than certain specific careers (like professors of physics or mathematics), for most top jobs in industry and government what is most important is your connections, background, confidence and the way you speak and behave. You also need to be reasonably intellegent, but not a genious IQ.

People who go to public school and then on to Oxbridge will tend to have more of these 'right' behaviours and connections and this is the main reason they tend to dominate most of the top jobs IMO rather than the fact that they are super intellegent.
    I'll probably get slagged off for this but people who tend to get ahead have super confidence, ego, entitlement etc. Basically they are more narcississtic than others. Being born privileged gives you a heads up in these stakes. Not all rich people are like that but they tend to be willing to settle for far less because they're already used to having so much. In an interview with "fuddy duddy's" they are more likely to be able to hold their own and not get nervous because they've been around powerful people their whole lives and it's expected that they'll do on and do big things.

For a lot of working class, even getting to uni is an achievement and big things are not expected. It takes much longer to find out how the system works and how to play it. The elite already have the connections and they do have better advantages. They might not be more intelligent but if you are sitting on the university panel and you have two canditates, one is an academically bright unknown from Backofbeyondshire and the other is the less bright but offspring of the guy who makes large donates to the science department, who are you going to give the place to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably get slagged off for this but people who tend to get ahead have super confidence, ego, entitlement etc. Basically they are more narcississtic than others. Being born privileged gives you a heads up in these stakes. Not all rich people are like that but they tend to be willing to settle for far less because they're already used to having so much. In an interview with "fuddy duddy's" they are more likely to be able to hold their own and not get nervous because they've been around powerful people their whole lives and it's expected that they'll do on and do big things.

For a lot of working class, even getting to uni is an achievement and big things are not expected. It takes much longer to find out how the system works and how to play it. The elite already have the connections and they do have better advantages. They might not be more intelligent but if you are sitting on the university panel and you have two canditates, one is an academically bright unknown from Backofbeyondshire and the other is the less bright but offspring of the guy who makes large donates to the science department, who are you going to give the place to?

Exactly. I completely agree with you.:)
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member

Completely agree.

You're only likely to get slagged off by the super successful themselves, who despite all the points you made above, like to believe that the reason for their success is purely due to their superior intellegence and hard work and has nothing to do with a privelaged background. :mad:

Don't worry though. They're all probably far too important to be reading this thread! :D
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    You're only likely to get slagged off by the super successful themselves, who despite all the points you made above, like to believe that the reason for their success is purely due to their superior intellegence and hard work and has nothing to do with a privelaged background. :mad:
    You're just bitter and jealous because they're better than you :p
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    No the smartest kids are at the grande ecoles in france.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

No. It's not how much information you know. It's your capacity to use what you know. The ability to implement what you know to solve problems in the real world. Just because you know what happens at the end of Tale of Two Cities does not mean that you know why it happened or that you can fully understand or apply the themes of the book to real world situations.
  • Options
    kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It's not how much information you know. It's your capacity to use what you know. The ability to implement what you know to solve problems in the real world. Just because you know what happens at the end of Tale of Two Cities does not mean that you know why it happened or that you can fully understand or apply the themes of the book to real world situations.

Pretty much agree there.

Sometimes people mistake knowledge or memory for intelligence.

Lateral thinking is far more usefull in the real world than the ability to memorise Shakespear.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Does anybody here really believe that they would be able to distinguish between those forum members who had been to Oxbridge, versus those who had been to other, supposedly lesser universities, versus those who had never been to university at all; solely on the basis of the quality of their posts here?

I think the likelihood is no Oxbridge students would post here.(other than maybe the technical sections) I think this forum is very much Joe_public(and that includes me) which means we're a little bit of a drop in the ocean. :D
    (we can still laugh at those Oxbridge students who jumped off a bridge into a shallow river though)
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the likelihood is no Oxbridge students would post here.(other than maybe the technical sections) I think this forum is very much Joe_public(and that includes me) which means we're a little bit of a drop in the ocean. :D
    (we can still laugh at those Oxbridge students who jumped off a bridge into a shallow river though)

There are definately students who read at one of the 'Oxbridge' Universities who post on here. Not all 'Oxbridge' educated people are public-school hooray Henry types.
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you serious:confused:?
    I guess they are all reading Proust and drinking fine wines so can't lower themselves to mix with the hoi polloi...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    The average Oxbridge student is far smarter than the average non-Oxbridge student. It's not even close.

Garbage.

Although I do accept there's some exceptionally bright people at Oxbridge. Without doubt some of the smartest in the country (I think it would be silly to claim otherwise), there's also a lot of middling, unexceptional people who got there because they where given the best public school education and because of who they knew (or rather who their parents knew) helped get them there.

I'm sure there's a lot people who left school at 16 because of poor education, who are far brighter than some Oxbridge students.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much agree there.

Sometimes people mistake knowledge or memory for intelligence.

Lateral thinking is far more usefull in the real world than the ability to memorise Shakespear.

I put 'brainy', not intelligence.