Options

'I hate Mumsnet': Why the parenting website is smug, patronising and vicious

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite.

Places that use those twee expressions always give me an urge to post on them about my IL (illicit lover) :p

Or maybe HLADL......Hung-Like-A-Donkey Lover :D
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's become huge and is turning into something of a pressure group. I had a look now and again, being male and not having children I thought it might be a bit of a laugh to see what some of the topics were about when one of their members has been ranting on the news. Not going there again, it's even more full of nutters and weirdos than GD . :eek:

Yeah right!

Bet you were on there every day ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This site is FAR better :)

http://stfuparents.tumblr.com/

Don't think I'd bother with Mum's net. I hated cliques at school, I hate them at work and from what I gather it is still a world of cliques in the NCT groups and at the school gates. I'd rather go on Dad's net where they are probably talking about fishing and farts.

But it would be tempting to go on there and wind a few Queen Bees up..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are like school kids really. There's the really serious earnest swots who take Mumsnet ever so seriously, the class clowns who mess around and have a laugh and the bitchy cliquey ones who don't seem to have much of a life and who like to bully everyone else and throw strops if anyone takes the piss out of them. It makes fascinating reading sometimes. A cross between Mean Girls and a suburban coffee morning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Ok i just read it and cant even see the forum?!?!?!
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    It's not my favourite place. All "my DH (dear husband" and DD (darling daughter). Pass the bucket.

So that's what it means.... I thought it was some sort of secret code.

I've looked on the forums for information before but I have to agree that they are nausiating. All so bloody perfect.
  • Options
    SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do seriously wonder how many marriages have been destroyed by vulnerable women listening to the feminist claptrap that goes on on that site

they come on asking for advice on say husband not putting dirty socks in the laundry basket and before you know it he is an abuser, a controller, a narcassist (sp), and god knows what and she must leave him immediately

and if the OP tries to defend the "abuser" they round on her and bully until she submits to their way of thinking

hilarious reading at times just for the double standards!

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hate the layout of their forum there too. A petty and small gripe. But it looks rubbish and is not very good to navigate around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i do seriously wonder how many marriages have been destroyed by vulnerable women listening to the feminist claptrap that goes on on that site

they come on asking for advice on say husband not putting dirty socks in the laundry basket and before you know it he is an abuser, a controller, a narcassist (sp), and god knows what and she must leave him immediately

and if the OP tries to defend the "abuser" they round on her and bully until she submits to their way of thinking

I don't see what any of that has to do with feminism. It's more armchair pyschology. Any woman that needs advice on telling her husband to put his clothes away is a passive-aggressive little twit. Tell him to do it and if he doesn't, don't do his f**king laundry.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair, it doesn't look much different to this forum.
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

wow a post that comes with exclaimed irony.
  • Options
    SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be a 'Dadsnet' site but I assume it will just tell us to go down to the pub for the next 21+ years!:D
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    jon8769 wrote: »
    It's not my favourite place. All "my DH (dear husband" and DD (darling daughter). Pass the bucket.

You get that sort of self-satisfied middle england speak on here, only husband is usually contracted to the equally sickly "hubby".
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Spruce wrote: »
    Should be a 'Dadsnet' site but I assume it will just tell us to go down to the pub for the next 21+ years!:D

With the GD section consisting of polls on which countries has the hottest women / worst ale :D.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the GD section consisting of polls on which countries has the hottest women / worst ale :D.
    I bet Mumsnet hasn't got two threads on the fact today is National Cleavage Day:D
  • Options
    Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife recently said that she had been given some advice on potty training our toddler from 'some mums on mumsnet'. The advice seemed a bit strange, so I thought I'd check the site out. Has anyone else ever used it? It seems like a huge clique of a bunch of women who feel they are at the top of the parenting club. It was full of horrible terms like OH, Bub, BB, etc. And a lot of the users seemed to worship those who had suffered a miscarriage as of they were gods. Although a lot of those who hace suffered losses seem to enjoy pronouncing thus at any opportunity. The signatures are also something else.

Bizzare website.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,372
    Forum Member
    In my opinion your discription of mumsnet is spot on :)
  • Options
    MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes DH (darling husband) is a bit nauseating! A thread today had a woman complaining because she didn't want to join DH on a skiing trip. SUCH problems!

I sometimes go in Lone Parents section and find most posters quite friendly, but Am I Being Unreasonable is a total bitchfest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you miss the long, 2 year thread about them?
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1171248
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, Mumsnet. The name alone conjures up memories of the heady days when we used to drunkenly troll that seething nest of harridans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some reason they seem to have become the official voice for early morning news progammes about all things related to parenting. God kows why!
  • Options
    Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you miss the long, 2 year thread about them?
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1171248

Evidently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    my sis a few years ago went of there for some birthing plan advice and she pretty much picked on and felt excluded so never went on again, dont sound like a nice bunch to me, dunno why the press gives them so much air time when all you hear is bad things bout them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I blame dish washers, dysons and boil in the bag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mongodude wrote: »
    my sis a few years ago went of there for some birthing plan advice and she pretty much picked on and felt excluded so never went on again, dont sound like a nice bunch to me, dunno why the press gives them so much air time when all you hear is bad things bout them.

I'm sure it was no loss to your sister :)

I managed to give birth, breast feed, potty train, get kids to bed etc etc all before the Internet was beamed into our living rooms.