Options

New O2 tariffs

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, me also. I had left the thread open on my computer overnight. When I refreshed the topic in the morning, I couldnt't understand why it was deleted either. I don't get it. o2 are seemingly getting very sensitive about the feedback.

It doesn't make all that much difference to me since I'm not on o2 anymore, but I can't say I'm for the new charges... especially since 3/4 of the time I get "SORRY! HTTP request was interrupted by the host!"
  • Options
    Aldridge AndyAldridge Andy Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    My current O2 Tariff is £45.96 the new equivalent £51.

What are they thinking of by making themselves less competitive?
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member

....you do know that its also possible to downgrade your tariff to something cheaper?!

See this thread : o2 Forum - Downgrade Your Tariff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member

To be fair there's cheaper tariffs on the Desire/Desire S/Galaxy S/Bold/Torch, eg 300 mins/unlimited texts/500MB =£27 on these phones vs £32 on others.

Presumably O2 want to get potentially higher spending customers
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do O2 no longer have Simplicity for iPhone tariffs? I'm on PAYG and just last month my 12 months free data ended so I started on the 100min/unlimited texts/500MB one month version of Simplicity. But 100 minutes isn't quite enough (don't make a lot of calls though).

Looking for the next tier up and it looks like the Simplicity tariffs no longer include data, but it's £6 extra. Have I misunderstood? Is there still a one month tariff for iPhones that includes 300 min and 500MB data for around £20?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Do O2 no longer have Simplicity for iPhone tariffs? I'm on PAYG and just last month my 12 months free data ended so I started on the 100min/unlimited texts/500MB one month version of Simplicity. But 100 minutes isn't quite enough (don't make a lot of calls though).

Looking for the next tier up and it looks like the Simplicity tariffs no longer include data, but it's £6 extra. Have I misunderstood? Is there still a one month tariff for iPhones that includes 300 min and 500MB data for around £20?

Yep it looks that way. All data is as a bolt on to the basic tariffs. However the iPhone still needs to be provisioned for Visual Voicemail. So they at least need to be aware that you are using an iPhone. Hopefully they don't charge extra for that too!
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »

The website isn't too clear and makes it look like the £6 for data is on top of the price it lists down the left hand side, but it is in fact included.

You can get 300mins, unlimited texts and 500MB of data for £21.50 a month.

It also lets you select which type of phone you have at the top but it doesn't have any effect on prices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just called up and changed my tariff. I'm past the 9 month mark into my 24 month contract and wasn't using anywhere near the 600 minutes for the £35 a month plan. I've downgraded one step to 300 minutes saving myself some money and also placed myself on the new tariff. I took out the 100mb data add-on for an additional £3 per month. On the URL below it says that tethering is included in all new data plans. Yet the guy on the phone seemed to think I still needed to purchase the £7.50 a month tethering bolt-on. Is this correct and I'm just confused or was the O2 operator not correct?

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/paymonthly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tethering is included with the new tariffs if you have the bolt on for data, as the link you posted states :)

I managed to drop from the £35 to £21.50 in one go and only 8 months in... I don't use 500+ texts a month nor do I get near 100 mins so I'm very pleased with the change!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myromeo wrote: »
    Tethering is included with the new tariffs if you have the bolt on for data, as the link you posted states :)

Yeah, I took the £3 100mb data bolt-on for now. See how it goes. The O2 operator says the change will take effect tomorrow. So will my iPhone's tethering get enabled automatically or will I need to call O2 again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helix wrote: »
    The website isn't too clear and makes it look like the £6 for data is on top of the price it lists down the left hand side, but it is in fact included.

It also lets you select which type of phone you have at the top but it doesn't have any effect on prices.

OK, thanks. That was the web page I found, which wasn't there last month, so I thought the £6 for data was a new additional charge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I took the £3 100mb data bolt-on for now. See how it goes. The O2 operator says the change will take effect tomorrow. So will my iPhone's tethering get enabled automatically or will I need to call O2 again?

It should just work mate though you will probably need to power off/on the handset :)
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Helix wrote: »

As opposed to just a few months ago when £20 got you 600 minutes, 1200 texts, unlimited internet, free voicemail and inclusive picture messages (classed as 4 texts) on a 30 day contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    As opposed to just a few months ago when £20 got you 600 minutes, 1200 texts, unlimited internet, free voicemail and inclusive picture messages (classed as 4 texts) on a 30 day contract.

So do O2 charge for voicemail on all tariffs? I admit I was surprised that having paid £15 for a month's calls, texts and data my balance kept falling every time I checked my voicemail, Surely the point of paying for a month in advance, even on Simplicity, is that you don't need to top up?
  • Options
    ram jamram jam Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Wi-Fi was not clear on website unless i missed it.

Tethering - So does VF, I'm tethering now

50MMS - Use email and besides, 50MMS does not justify the £15 price difference

tethering but for £5 For 500 MB
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »

Yeah its annoying, I'm currently on 300 mins, Unlimited texts and 500Mb data for £20.42 a month, but it seems I can't use tethering unless I go up to £21.50 a month.

I can understand them not allowing tethering on Unlimited plans but I think they should have applied to to all existing tariffs with limited data. They haven't even bothered to update the page the iPhone takes you to when tethering isn't enabled. Still says you have to pay £7.50 a month for it.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this has happened because Ofcom has told all mobile networks to cut the cost of termination charges from land lines & this came in a few days ago, I've read a fews days ago in the paper that some networks are now saying Pay As You Go might not be viable in future as pay & go customers recieve more calls than they make to other mobiles, I'm on o2 simplicity 20 including unlimited texts & unlimited land line calls plus 900 mins & just renewed my contract last month so I'm glad about that, it's o2 trying to pass charges on to new customers or those who upgrade [ more like downgrade looking at the new tarrifs ], It will be interesting to see what happens with the other networks T-Mobile have not changed their sim only plans........ not yet anyway.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people here talking about upgrades, do O2 not allow people to keep the same package if they renew for a new mobile? That's pretty poor if they don't. Those tariffs just put the final nail in o2's coffin as far as getting my custom again goes.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    I've read a fews days ago in the paper that some networks are now
    saying Pay As You Go might not be viable in future as pay & go
    customers recieve more calls than they make to other mobiles
    If the PAYG tariffs end up getting scrapped across all the cell networks, I'm ditching mobile phones permanently.
    I do not use my mobile enough to realistically justify the payment of a monthly subscription. If the only option
    was to pay something like £10-15 per month, while this might get me an allowance of several hundred SMS
    messages and several hundred minutes of inclusive calltime, only a small percentage would be used. I'd be
    almost literally throwing money down the toilet every month ... or I might as well be!

Also, if PAYG tariffs are eventually scrapped across the board, what about those people that only ever use
    cellphones for emergency purposes, and might only top up the occasional tenner every 6 months or so?
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on PAYG and looking for a new sim. Only problem is it seems i have the best deal available on o2!

£10 i get unlimited texts, £15 unlimited texts and unlimited internet. By comparison that deal on Orange is DOUBLE at £30!!!!

I refuse to pay this new 12p a text charge. They should be going down not up. Watched a documentary a few years ago (admittedly it was on Channel 4), and they revealed that the price of a text that you send for networks isn't even 1p! And they put it up by 2p...total p*sstake tbh.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try sending text messages via the O2 website instead of paying 12p sending them from your phone.
    You'll need to sign up for a free "My O2" web account first ... you get 200 free txt msgs a month.
    The 10-12p txt msg price increase was blamed on the VAT increase from 17.5% to 20%

Mind you, txt msgs cost 12p to send on PAYG back in the days when O2 was called BT Cellnet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myromeo wrote: »
    It should just work mate though you will probably need to power off/on the handset :)

Great, all working. A restart made the personal hotspot option appear on the iPhone's main settings page. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Try sending text messages via the O2 website instead of paying 12p sending them from your phone.
    You'll need to sign up for a free "My O2" web account first ... you get 200 free txt msgs a month.
    The 10-12p txt msg price increase was blamed on the VAT increase from 17.5% to 20%

Mind you, txt msgs cost 12p to send on PAYG back in the days when O2 was called BT Cellnet.

200 txts free a month?!

Dammnnn. On my account it's only 10!
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    All this has happened because Ofcom has told all mobile networks to cut the cost of termination charges from land lines & this came in a few days ago, I've read a fews days ago in the paper that some networks are now saying Pay As You Go might not be viable in future as pay & go customers recieve more calls than they make to other mobiles, I'm on o2 simplicity 20 including unlimited texts & unlimited land line calls plus 900 mins & just renewed my contract last month so I'm glad about that, it's o2 trying to pass charges on to new customers or those who upgrade [ more like downgrade looking at the new tarrifs ], It will be interesting to see what happens with the other networks T-Mobile have not changed their sim only plans........ not yet anyway.

In its current format that is true.

I would expect you will see the cost per minute increased, rather than scrapped, some might bring in minimum monthly spend before usage.

Something like a £3 a month charge for having PAYG, so a £10 top up would give £7 credit, then after that first one in the month it would bee 100% credit for any further top ups.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    A lot of people here talking about upgrades, do O2 not allow people to keep the same package if they renew for a new mobile? That's pretty poor if they don't. Those tariffs just put the final nail in o2's coffin as far as getting my custom again goes.

If you want a new phone after your contract is up, then yes o2 would put you on the current tariff, unless you have been with o2 for years they wont give you anything, same goes for Vodafone they are even tighter than most networks.