[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nickdenker wrote: »
    Automan - which harmony do you have?

Harmony One.

Yes it has enough keys plus "Softkeys"

These I have set to Red,Green,Yellow,Blue,Lib&Tools

Power on/off still an issue as the key works from device mode but not in the activity.

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Test Results of Recordings
    On channels like 5, Film4 Etc the unit starts and stops recordings at the exact time in the EPG Schedule.

On smart channels like ITV3 it starts at the precise moment the program starts.

e.g. Heartbeat
    Guide 13:00:00 - 14:05:00 - Unit records 12:58:40 - 14:03:46 catching the complete program.

However George & Mildred
    Guide 17:15:00 - 17:45:00
    Actual 17:17:39 - 17:46:21
    Recording 17:17:39 - 17:45:24

Thus just under a minute was lost.

Hearbeat was on again and started at 17:50:01 (also set to record) (Guide says 17:45:00).

So the box is not stopping on the signal that the next program is starting.

I understand the EPG has no program end signal (which I think it should) so I think the unit is stopping at Guide time +20 seconds.

More independent testing required to confirm.

Automan.
  • Options
    terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Automan,
    With regard to certain Channels not recording in full you will find that is a problem with ALL Freesat PVR's.
    The fault lies with those broadcasters because they don't supply the info to allow accurate recording.Unfortunately when recording from those channels you have to set up manually allowing time on either end to ensure the programme records in full.

Terry
  • Options
    MicroSmurfMicroSmurf Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automan wrote: »

Last night I also set-up my Harmony control.
    No match on the database of course but it finds a close match which is a Samsung Satellite box.

All buttons have to be learned and one extra button "Tools"

When put into an activity is is not under PVR but Sat boxes (different icon) but it works.

Check the key assignment are correct.

The only function that has not worked is the power toggle. I will try and re-learn that later.

Automan.
    I have just set up my Harmony 555, it said there was no match on the database but then proceeded to assign all the buttons anyway:confused:. The only buttons I had to learn were Tools and Library, everything else worked straight away including the power toggle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    From freesats twitter after I asked them via that.

"Yep, Samsung are working on it now. Will keep you both posted when we know more, but rest assured it's being worked on"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Test Results of Recordings
    On channels like 5, Film4 Etc the unit starts and stops recordings at the exact time in the EPG Schedule.

On smart channels like ITV3 it starts at the precise moment the program starts.

e.g. Heartbeat
    Guide 13:00:00 - 14:05:00 - Unit records 12:58:40 - 14:03:46 catching the complete program.

However George & Mildred

Thus just under a minute was lost.

Hearbeat was on again and started at 17:50:01 (also set to record) (Guide says 17:45:00).

So the box is not stopping on the signal that the next program is starting.

I understand the EPG has no program end signal (which I think it should) so I think the unit is stopping at Guide time +20 seconds.

More independent testing required to confirm.

Automan.

The next Hearbeat on ITV3

Guide 17:45:00-18:55:00
    Actual 17:50:01-18:57:57
    Recording 17:50:01-18:55:04

The unit started to record the next program at 18:58:52

As you can see this episode lost nearly two minutes off the end and supports my theory that it stops at guide time.

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next Hearbeat on ITV3

Guide 17:45:00-18:55:00
    Actual 17:50:01-18:57:57
    Recording 17:50:01-18:55:04

The unit started to record the next program at 18:58:52

As you can see this episode lost nearly two minutes off the end and supports my theory that it stops at guide time.

Automan.

Read my post #336
  • Options
    Forum Member
    terrykl wrote: »
    Hi Automan,
    With regard to certain Channels not recording in full you will find that is a problem with ALL Freesat PVR's.
    The fault lies with those broadcasters because they don't supply the info to allow accurate recording.Unfortunately when recording from those channels you have to set up manually allowing time on either end to ensure the programme records in full.

Terry

There is no manual record or padding option on this box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no manual record or padding option on this box.

Sorry didn't realise.
    That's a major flaw then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry didn't realise.
    That's a major flaw then.

I presume freesat uses the same now and next data as sky? So padding would do the job. Can't remember last time we lost part of a program on sky, apart from overlaps, which of course technically can be dealt with in most cases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read my post #336

Indeed, but the FoxSat-HDR stops recording when it sees the signal for the next program start.

This unit seems to stop recording at the time in the EPG.

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume freesat uses the same now and next data as sky? So padding would do the job. Can't remember last time we lost part of a program on sky, apart from overlaps, which of course technically can be dealt with in most cases.

Freesat has it's own EPG and in some ways is at least ten years more advanced.

It can offer alternate showings of a program, HD version of SD programs even when they are at different times.

It, like the old days of VCR's has PDC, Program Delivery Control and can send a signal when the program starts.

Thus recording on the BBC & ITV (not +1's) often starts at the instant the program starts - The other channels do not use this advanced feature :(

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Indeed, but the FoxSat-HDR stops recording when it sees the signal for the next program start.

This unit seems to stop recording at the time in the EPG.

Automan.
    And earlier:
    However George & Mildred

As one can see, Recording didn't stop exactly at 17.45. I can't believe samsung box needs 24 seconds to stop recording. In my opinion, it's broadcaster fault (sending running status flag off too early). However, if box would react on present program change, it would work perfectly and no padding would be needed at all.

Regards,
    Amarok
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amarok wrote: »
    And earlier:
    However George & Mildred

As one can see, Recording didn't stop exactly at 17.45. I can't believe samsung box needs 24 seconds to stop recording. In my opinion, it's broadcaster fault (sending running status flag off too early). However, if box would react on present program change, it would work perfectly and no padding would be needed at all.

Regards,
    Amarok

The Freesat EPG only sends a start signal and has no stop signal, the why the Foxsat-HDR records till the next program starts.

On my other test it stopped 4 seconds after the time in the guide.

Also just had my first recording failed/vanished.

I set it to record "Pie In The Sky" on ITV3 after Heartbeat.

In the Library List however all I have is a 29 second recording called "Pie In The Sky (2)" but from ITV3+1

It did something like this last night with "The Matrix" making a recording called "The Matrix (2)" from ITV1+1 also for 29 seconds but the full recording from ITV1 HD was still present.

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member

In the Library List however all I have is a 29 second recording called "Pie In The Sky (2)" but from ITV3+1

It did something like this last night with "The Matrix" making a recording called "The Matrix (2)" from ITV1+1 also for 29 seconds but the full recording from ITV1 HD was still present.

Automan.
    It looks like the box has its own intelligence ;););) I really hope after the software update it would be a bit more predictable :)
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Freesat EPG only sends a start signal and has no stop signal, the why the Foxsat-HDR records till the next program starts.

On my other test it stopped 4 seconds after the time in the guide.

Also just had my first recording failed/vanished.

Automan.

That's a bit of a simplification, just after ITV1-HD started there was a spate of failed recordings on both Freeview and Freesat. ITV were changing the event id's after the recordings were set. The boxes woke and awaited the correct event ID which never came (now/next worked fine).

On a foxsat-hdr after the scheduled finish time a failed recording would appear in the schedule (outside the series folder if it was a series recording)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I said the box did not record "Pie In The Sky"

I lied, I just did not realise it would go in the "Heartbeat" series link folder - what a fool

I also set it for the 23:00 showing of "Medium" with a single recording. That did not record and no message or anything to explain why - spooky

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More reviews and questions listed on the S website but you still cannot get into the detail or see answers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rozet wrote: »
    More reviews and questions listed on the S website but you still cannot get into the detail or see answers!

I would think they are choosing not to fix this bug on the web site... I am surprised they haven't removed the reviews and questions section altogether... It's not exactly doing them any favours.

I had a further reply from the support section last night saying it had been escalated to the development team now. Wow - a week later... Still no timelines other than "it might take some time"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Machine is not all bad, if you are part way into a program and you press record, it will save the program from the beginning (assuming you have been watching that channel since the program started) - It even offers to record the series and in HD (should that apply).

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Machine is not all bad, if you are part way into a program and you press record, it will save the program from the beginning (assuming you have been watching that channel since the program started) - It even offers to record the series and in HD (should that apply).

Automan.

Something Sky boxes have done for ages. Until last week I was convinced the Sky EPG on HD boxes was old fashioned and slow... and buggy. But maybe they do get some things right.

Customer service lacks though and them wanting £299 for a new HD box when we've paid them 4-5 years of subscription, and the lack of anytime+ ever for non sky broadband customers (when they can only give us 400k and FTTC gives us 15Mb) is just a good reason to leave.

As a new customer of course all this would be "free" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,551
    Forum Member
    and the lack of anytime+ ever for non sky broadband customers

Has that ever been suggested?, as far I'm aware Sky have only even said it's an initial condition for Anytime+, and other ISP's will follow depending on their agreement to do so.

There was a post from VM in the Cable forums though where VM said they wouldn't allow Anytime+ to be used over their systems. It's not just a question of Sky allowing it, it's a question of each participating ISP agreeing to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has that ever been suggested?, as far I'm aware Sky have only even said it's an initial condition for Anytime+, and other ISP's will follow depending on their agreement to do so.

There was a post from VM in the Cable forums though where VM said they wouldn't allow Anytime+ to be used over their systems. It's not just a question of Sky allowing it, it's a question of each participating ISP agreeing to it.

Was confirmed by Sky on the phone it's unlikely to come to other ISPs, and that Thomson boxes will never get it. As a non broadband customer wasn't entitled to a new box.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,551
    Forum Member
    Was confirmed by Sky on the phone it's unlikely to come to other ISPs.

Sorry, but the only people you can talk to on the phones at Sky know absolutely nothing, and just make things up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but the only people you can talk to on the phones at Sky know absolutely nothing, and just make things up.

Well - on top of that paying £45 a month to watch House MD once a week was excessive - main reason for leaving.