Options

The talent pool is empty

tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
Forum Member
✭✭
None of them had any talent. I do hope we are not going to have weeks and weeks of gash talent going by the calibre of the 1st ep.

Most of what was shown tonight wouldnt have got past the 1st rd normally. The best one was the double dog act but we've seen that before.

They need to up their game for next week.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the dog act was any good. All the others were rubbish, even the ones they said "yes" to.
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if its anything like last year if i recall it was the final 2 or 3 auditiions before we seen any good talent being shown. Probably the same this year too as apart form the conga dogs, nothing really impressed me. The singer was alright but nothing amazing, good for karaoke but wont sell records or even get a record deal. The hand bells were a surpirse and quite soothing but gain didnt make me go wow. thats talent and special. The dance troup with 10 year old were always getting though the second they said their age, same with the little comedian. Cant have a repeat of little holly and ever since its been say yes to anyone very young. so yea. nothign amazed me and i guess it will be 3/4 weeks before we start seeing the finallists audition.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only one with anywhere near a bit of talent was that lad with the guitar, and even he didn't wow me either! It might have been the song he sang because I found it a bit boring to be honest. Not very boring, just I don't care boring. If he sang a song with higher notes and stayed on tune, I'd be impressed then. His guitar skills weren't anywhere near challenged on tonight's programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Liverpool has no talent should have been the title of last night's show. The only one with the remotest bit of real talent was Michael with the guitar!
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, it would appear, is the gene pool.
  • Options
    Benny_CHtBenny_CHt Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that the producer's only concern is to produce a show, but to get on TV, all of those seen last night have already gone through multiple rounds of producers before they get to the stage.

Are we really meant to believe that the producers actually thought that some of them had any talent?

It's a con! Producers pick based on laughability and not on talent and that makes the very idea of the show void and redundant.
  • Options
    Blue MeanieBlue Meanie Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Benny_CHt wrote: »
    I know that the producer's only concern is to produce a show, but to get on TV, all of those seen last night have already gone through multiple rounds of producers before they get to the stage.

Are we really meant to believe that the producers actually thought that some of them had any talent?

It's a con! Producers pick based on laughability and not on talent and that makes the very idea of the show void and redundant.
    That's about it.

View it as entertainment first (Bread and Circuses). Knowing people who've gone through auditions, the initial weeks in both this and X Factor are always about 'shock and bore.' In future weeks some better 'talent' will emerge.

The show will pull in the viewers and then the telephone votes, a handful of people will achieve fame through it, others will have a bit of a career on the clubs scene thanks to the "as seen on TV tag."

It's harmless. I think having a bit of variety and ordinariness on TV is not a bad thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing with Britains Got Talent is that everything has been done before.

We've had tons of dance groups and although they're pleasant to watch, unless you're Diversity or Flawless you tend to be forgettable and don't stand out from the others.

Dog acts are always nice, but again, we've seen them all before and they tend to just repeat the same tricks from the audition at the semi finals and finals (if they get there).

The comedian last night was simply NOT a comedian. Nice kid, and yes he had funny jokes but being a comedian isn't just about telling jokes. I felt there was a sort of pressure to laugh at him and say 'yes' because he was a child, and I doubt he'll get to the finals. If an older person told those jokes with that delivery there'd be silence.

And the guitar player was just dull. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benny_CHt wrote: »

Yes, obviously the producers will pick a good amount of 'entertaining' acts as well. The sackless acts are there to give the audience and viewers at home a good laugh. I laughed my head off at that fool who said "it's supposed to be a dolphin" at the end of his completely bizarre act. Everyone was just completely silent all the way through it AND after he'd finished it as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Thing with Britains Got Talent is that everything has been done before.

We've had tons of dance groups and although they're pleasant to watch, unless you're Diversity or Flawless you tend to be forgettable and don't stand out from the others.

Dog acts are always nice, but again, we've seen them all before and they tend to just repeat the same tricks from the audition at the semi finals and finals (if they get there).

The comedian last night was simply NOT a comedian. Nice kid, and yes he had funny jokes but being a comedian isn't just about telling jokes. I felt there was a sort of pressure to laugh at him and say 'yes' because he was a child, and I doubt he'll get to the finals. If an older person told those jokes with that delivery there'd be silence.

And the guitar player was just dull. :(

Absolutely spot on! It's all about not wanting to offend the viewers at home. I never found any of his jokes funny. I'm sure he's a nice enough lad, but in my opinion, he simply wasn't funny. Saying this though, I tend to favour impressions of people. That's what mainly makes me laugh with someone on stage.
  • Options
    suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As other posters mentioned, it is not about talent but an entertainment show. Producers are definitely identifying the talent (or skills) but will put through only they think has entertainment value.
  • Options
    James TJames T Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suniil wrote: »
    As other posters mentioned, it is not about talent but an entertainment show. Producers are definitely identifying the talent (or skills) but will put through only they think has entertainment value.
    But the untalented ones have relatively limited entertainment value. They can be mildly amusing for a minute or two but they pale alongside someone with real wow factor. I think the producers realise this, but presumably are rather short of genuinely good acts.:(
  • Options
    suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also it could be because of the main criteria "undiscovered talent" aka talent that not exposed to media / internet (I understand many of the previous contestants had connections with producers / simon, but still!)?

Have you checked youtube auditions page on BGT?

http://www.youtube.com/britainsgottalent
    James T wrote: »
    I think the producers realise this, but presumably are rather short of genuinely good acts.:(