Options

Russell Brand's image change.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    It reminds me a bit of when Freddie Mercury showed himself after having had AIDS for a while.
    Not suggesting Russell is seriously ill, but he looks ill. Pale, not smiling, just.. not right.

I agree. I'd like to add the word "distant" too.
  • Options
    REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;49532922']His accent has changed too..

i'm sure he's been told to play up on his accent in the states by some Hollywood P.R. to appeal to u.s. film audiences ,sound's very put on to me IMO
  • Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    The only difference I've noticed is his lack of a beard. He shaved it off to make Arthur. He looks a bit different without the chin hair.

In an interview shown on Ch 5 OK TV last night, his beard was starting to return. I think the beard suits him. He does have quite a pale complexion without the beard.

His accent sounds the same. I don't think it's changed.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Don't know what it is about Russell, but something about him doesn't seem right.

He looks completely different to how he once did - I much prefer his hairy, dandy bohemian look.

But apart from his clothes and hair, something isn't quite right in his eyes.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know what it is about Russell, but something about him doesn't seem right.

He looks completely different to how he once did - I much prefer his hairy, dandy bohemian look.

But apart from his clothes and hair, something isn't quite right in his eyes.

Agree with this, it's actually quite creepy. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind his image change. I just think he's grown up that's all. He's in a new era of his life, he isn't the same Russell but that's all part of growing up.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I don't mind his image change. I just think he's grown up that's all. He's in a new era of his life, he isn't the same Russell but that's all part of growing up.

Yes, he's growing up and settling down. He's about 36 now, isn't he? I just hope he doesn't change too much, I love his energy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Michelle12 wrote: »
    It's either styling or he has aged quite dramatically

My wife said he looks like he's had botox.

Worrying for a young man his age.
  • Options
    lovely_ladylovely_lady Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    MonkeyBum wrote: »
    He was accepted into 2 very famous drama schools in the UK, winning a scholarship into one of them, I highly doubt he is as awful as you claim he is. I know some incredible actors who haven't been accepted into drama school.

It's easy to confuse bad acting with bad direction.
    It is a directors job to draw the actor out of themselves, they are supposed to create and bring this character to life together. If a director cannot do that with their actor, then the ACTING will suffer.

No, it's not bad direction. It's bad acting. I don't care where he studied. He's still rubbish at acting.
  • Options
    MonkeyBumMonkeyBum Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A slight problem with your thinking. Helen Mirren and the rest of the cast seem to be able to act well from the clips I've seen, it's just Russell that seems unable.

Also, what is the criteria to gain a place at most drama schools? To recite one Shakespeare speech and one modern speech, with a lot of practise anyone can deliver them convincingly. He may have been 'inspired' by DVDs and audio tapes of the speeches available to buy.

This is true, and I was actually going to add to my previous post, that a truly great actor would still be able to work with what a directors given them, regardless of what the strength of the director is, but from the clips I've seen, it is bad direction for the main character of the film, mixed with someone (Russell) who needs a very strong director. He is obviously a strong performer, from his comedic shows, and many comedians are actually actors as well...whether they're strong enough to take direction from a mediocre director...

Obviously this stops him from being a truly great actor, but I do think, and hope, that with a better director (and script...) we could see much better things from him.
    No, it's not bad direction. It's bad acting. I don't care where he studied. He's still rubbish at acting.

Ok...I'd like to know your qualifications to judge that. You may not like his style, but I don't think anyone can say that after one film he has been in, which has been universally panned by critics, not because of his acting, but because it's just crap. Which would be the director, screenwriter and producers fault.

Acting in film is extremely difficult, incredibly subtle, very few trained actors can do it. Perhaps Russell is much more adept at performing in theatre. I think people give actors a very hard time without realising the work they have to put in especially for film. It's boring, repetitive, and you have to bring up every emotion again, and again and again, performing exactly the same, making sure continuity is ok etc. etc.

Both schools he briefly studied in only do theatre acting as far as I have researched, which as I previously stated is VERY different.

I just think it's very unfair to judge his acting skills when it has only been one film, which has been panned for reasons other than him not being good. I am normally the first to rip into awful acting but I just feel in this case it's not very fair, because he obviously does have talent.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    IF YOU can pull Katy Perry, the hottest babe on the planet, you must have something.... give the guy a break !

If she is the hottest, I'd hate to see the worst. ;)
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with what others have said.................if you see him in interviews now, he just seems completely dead behind the eyes................its almost eerie. The fun loving happy chappy is a million miles away from what we see now.

I think the next few months will see him slide down even further. Something defiently isnt right at the moment, be it illness, stress, or something else.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makes my flesh crawl creepy man
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    You re wrong radio maniac
    Russ is on the one show right now 7 pm fri night,
    looking quite normal, quite happy
    ( wonder where Katy is ? )
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone see him on The One Show this evening? He looked a lot better with his beard growing back than he did last week when he was being interviewed by Piers Morgan.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Did anyone see him on The One Show this evening? He looked a lot better with his beard growing back than he did last week when he was being interviewed by Piers Morgan.

He was good. I suspect Chris Evans was a bit tired of him by the end of it.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the wild haired, guy liner Russell - the whole image was so him and epitomised his flamboyant persona. Now without the height and the wild backcombing, and his new hair coinciding with his new tamer image, everything, quite literally seems flatter! The harsh dyed black hair (and eyebrows to match) against his pale skin, are so overpowering, that without the definition of his guyliner anymore , it makes his eyes look lost. :(
  • Options
    janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »

I only caught the end but it was great to see Russel back looking like Russel. The flat hair, clean face and ill fitting suit from the Piers programme are well rid.

As for the comments about dead eyes, I met him years ago and his eyes had that look then so I think that is just as they are and nowt to do with his recent 'Americanization'.
  • Options
    seal bseal b Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His eyes always look really wide, he's funny looking now. Looks better with a beard.
  • Options
    Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does look better with a beard. I can't believe he and others are branding him as A-list though....for what? Although his new film does look watchable for once. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the piers morgan interview was weired. Allot of people are saying it was brilliant but i have seen far better interviews of russell. Friday night with Jonathan ross for e.g
    I just seen him on the one show today and it looked like he was trying to act too over the top..... not the same.
    Even chris evans told him he had changed and the piers interview was different.

I guess i feel mean for judging but his eyes seem abit dead.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes me laugh how people are taken in by this Russell Brand idiot.

He's supposed to be intelligent with a 'fantastic command of the English language' yet if you hear him speak, he doesn't know when to use the word 'were'. :rolleyes:

He'll often say 'was' like the uneducated, stupid person he is. :D

And those oh so 'clever' big words randomly thrown in every other sentence to make him sound 'brainy'. I wish people would wake up, that there is a massive publicity machine behind him.

Like that other dope, Katie Price.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's supposed to be intelligent with a 'fantastic command of the English language' yet if you hear him speak, he doesn't know when to use the word 'were'. :rolleyes:

And those oh so 'clever' big words randomly thrown in every other sentence to make him sound 'brainy'. I wish people would wake up, that there is a massive publicity machine behind him.

I don't care who's behind him, I know when I like someone. Russell is far from stupid. He's bright, sharp with a lightening repartee. Oh and I love his "Dickensian" speak, even if it is put on - it suits him and makes me laugh. Was watching a selection of old Russell clips last night with him on BBBM and his early JR interviews and they were hilarious.
  • Options
    HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In fairness, he often drops vowels and adopts an affected cockney accent where he uses grammatical inconcistencies such as "was" instead of "were" and "are" instead of "am." Although I agree with you, and find him needlesly verbose at times, surely it's a good thing that a celebrity has an appreciation of language and is proud of having a good vocabulary? It's a lot better than listening to Peter Andre or Katie Price squawking all over the TV. Also, being uneducated doesn't make you unintelligent, some of the stupidest people I met in my life I met at University.
  • Options
    janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member

Are you aware of his early career or seen his stand-up? His language style has always been as it is, nothing to do with any massive publicity machine.

The was/were thing is a product of an Essex background. It doesn't mean he is stupid or uneducated.