Options

Tivo users - any feedback?

Comments

• Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    3) Cant seem to find how to set the box to change channel when a specific program starts.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Problems for me are:-

1) Defaults to SD channels when recording suggestions which seriously annoys me.

I actually think that logic is sound - if suggestions were recorded in HD, they would take up more disk space and there would be less suggestions for you to watch.

Besides, if you liked the suggestion, you would probably setup a HD series link for it.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    I actually think that logic is sound - if suggestions were recorded in HD, they would take up more disk space and there would be less suggestions for you to watch.

Besides, if you liked the suggestion, you would probably setup a HD series link for it.

Maybe, but being the HD snob i am i wont watch it in SD lol

I think if they added the choice it would be nice.

Another annoyance i have noticed is, i gave The Simpsons on sky1hd 3 thumbs up the other day and it keeps recording the simpsons on ch4 and not sky1hd :confused:

Anyway, apart from those annoyances, im loving it so far.
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3) Cant seem to find how to set the box to change channel when a specific program starts.

This is a known issue that there is no Reminder function.

TiVo purists will say that this is not required as you should be recording everything you watch anyway.

It is accepted, however, that a Reminder function will be created.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,789
    Forum Member
    Just set it to record and it will do so.
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    TiVo purists will say that this is not required as you should be recording everything you watch anyway.
    Indeed :D
    It is accepted, however, that a Reminder function will be created.
    Quite right too. Lets see if there are any other redundant features we can get added :p
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J

Quite right too. Lets see if there are any other redundant features we can get added :p

Like removing the "flip-back" after fast-forwarding
  • Options
    Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hardpack wrote: »
    I used to be able to "search" in the music on demand on V+ but on Tivo this does not seem to be possible, and I have to browse through the whole list. Am I missing something?

No you are not missing something, You cannot search for music videos which is mighty annoying considering how long we had to wait for the V+ to get this feature. Also if you want something by, say, Usher you have to start with 'U' and work your way down a mammoth list. You cannot even go to 'V' and work back up (as Usher would be towards the end of the U section) like you can with V+. And to compound the annoyance, the booklet I got with the Tivo suggests that you can search the music videos along with everything else because a screen pic of the search feature includes "Somebody to Love" by Justin Bieber. Needs fixing......................soon:(
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else noticed the 'TiVo' logo that appears below the mini-TV screen on the screenshots is not actually there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    ...TiVo purists will say that this is not required as you should be recording everything you watch anyway...

It would be great to record rather than set a reminder but can you be bothered when you have to set the padding fore and aft each time.

The Tivo should never have been let out of the box before that was fixed.

I used to go down a list on my old V+...Record that, Record that, Record that.

Now it's a pain to record just one programme
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    For me,although I think the tivo itself is great, the biggest backward step is having all the BBC catchup stuff on an internet iplayer. The quality is nowhere near as good or as easy to locate. What I think they should do is continue to have the most popular BBC programmes on the normal catch up, and then if you want to watch other stuff you can use the iplayer.
    Plus sort out "search" on music on demand, and be able to play content from "my shows" with not more than two clicks, plus have a keyboard available (I still have my telewest keyboard - might try putting some batteries back in it :p)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be great to record rather than set a reminder but can you be bothered when you have to set the padding fore and aft each time.

I used to go down a list on my old V+...Record that, Record that, Record that.

I do not set padding at all as TiVo currently does not drop padding if it causes a clash.

I have thrown myself on the broadcasters to actually broadcast at the scheduled time. I took the decision that I had rarely been let down by missing the start or end of any of my programs. You may feel differently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardpack wrote: »
    For me,although I think the tivo itself is great, the biggest backward step is having all the BBC catchup stuff on an internet iplayer. The quality is nowhere near as good or as easy to locate. What I think they should do is continue to have the most popular BBC programmes on the normal catch up, and then if you want to watch other stuff you can use the iplayer.
    Plus sort out "search" on music on demand, and be able to play content from "my shows" with not more than two clicks, plus have a keyboard available (I still have my telewest keyboard - might try putting some batteries back in it :p)

There is a big advantage in using iPlayer to access catchup on BBC. You can watch this catchup while recording three channels. You cannot watch true VOD while recording three channels.

It is the BBC that will not currently allow Virgin Media to integrate iPlayer via the TiVo's internal modem with the EPG. I believe that this is currently being negotiated.
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    Logically you should set your padding choice on first recording then this setting should be used as default until you change it again
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...I took the decision that I had rarely been let down by missing the start or end of any of my programs. You may feel differently...

I do. I've only had the Tivo a day and recorded one programme - Dr Who yesterday - It missed the ending by about 2 mins. I ended up watching it on iPlayer!
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    while selecting VOD content to play, there's one screen which gives you the single option to 'Watch Now', that's followed by another screen which has the single option of 'Play'. Why the extra screen? Shouldn't 'Watch Now' play the episode?

Hi Bigfoot

Thanks for writing a review that seems to be a very accurate assessment of Tivo.

One thing I have noticed when using VOD or trying to watch a program from "my shows" is that if you highlight the show you want to watch and just press play on the remote you will jump straight to the show without the extra screens apart from PIN number if required.

An additional feature that I think is useful is the Deleted folder in my shows. At least if I delete a show by accident it's not completely deleted.
  • Options
    bpn29bpn29 Posts: 40
    Forum Member

Thanks for that review, quite excited for my TiVo now! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do. I've only had the Tivo a day and recorded one programme - Dr Who yesterday - It missed the ending by about 2 mins. I ended up watching it on iPlayer!

Your experience, therefore, is 100% failure but you did get to watch the end through another route.

As I said, you may choose to ignore my experience gained both with V+ for 5 years and more recently with TiVo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...As I said, you may choose to ignore my experience gained both with V+ for 5 years and more recently with TiVo.

I would never ignore experience, but with my many years with a V+ I never missed the end of a recording. For that matter not even with my long gone VHS recorders. One day with Tivo and as you say 100% failure.

I'll continue exploring the Tivo and don't intend to send it back, it's just not as good as I thought it was going to be, especially in key areas such as recording. I hope that it's fixed soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Did you forget to set padding at the end?

I've yet to miss the ending of any show with TiVo (or V+ HD for that matter in the 5 years I had it), because I always add 5 minutes of padding at the end of all recordings.

gds1972 wrote: »
    Hi Bigfoot

Thanks for writing a review that seems to be a very accurate assessment of Tivo.

One thing I have noticed when using VOD or trying to watch a program from "my shows" is that if you highlight the show you want to watch and just press play on the remote you will jump straight to the show without the extra screens apart from PIN number if required.

An additional feature that I think is useful is the Deleted folder in my shows. At least if I delete a show by accident it's not completely deleted.
    bpn29 wrote: »
    Thanks for that review, quite excited for my TiVo now! :D

Thanks for the feedback. :D

gds1972, I didn't know about that 'play VOD' trick, will have to try that later, thanks for the tip. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...Did you forget to set padding at the end?...

Hi, Yes I did. If you look at my earlier posts and others in other threads I'm basically saying I like the Tivo but I think things like of a lack of overall padding is a poor omission. Having to put a padding before and after for each recording is a pain. It would be better if it were a universal padding for all recordings as was the V+
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your experience, therefore, is 100% failure but you did get to watch the end through another route.

As I said, you may choose to ignore my experience gained both with V+ for 5 years and more recently with TiVo.
    It partly depends on which channels you watch. BBC are terrible for timing. Channels with adverts have a lot more leeway.
    I've yet to miss the ending of any show with TiVo (or V+ HD for that matter in the 5 years I had it), because I always add 5 minutes of padding at the end of all recordings.
    The point was being made, that to set this padding is tedious, because TiVo doesn't let you set defaults.

It's a valid point. For me the main saving grace is that I usually watch from Series Links or Wish Lists, so I don't actually go through the Guide going "Record this, record this, record this". I only have to set up each recording once, not once per episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    It partly depends on which channels you watch. BBC are terrible for timing. Channels with adverts have a lot more leeway.

The point was being made, that to set this padding is tedious, because TiVo doesn't let you set defaults.

It's a valid point. For me the main saving grace is that I usually watch from Series Links or Wish Lists, so I don't actually go through the Guide going "Record this, record this, record this". I only have to set up each recording once, not once per episode.

Fair enough, I agree about the lack of global padding, but TiVo does give the option of setting padding when a series link is created.

Its not perfect, but for now it will have to do until VM add it in a future software update.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    New to Tivio this week, but my question is is anyone having problem recording from their mobile, my mobile is Nokia 5800, everytime I login all I get is "Looks like you don't have an active Tivo box" but I can record from my Computer OK. I have phoned faults 151 and there looking into this but has anyone had the same problem or can they record from your mobile. Cheers
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,789
    Forum Member

99% of my SLs don't have any padding set. It depends on what channels you watch I suppose :)

The original Tivo didn't have it either.

I can set any SL in two clicks. You can add padding later if necessary :)
    New to Tivio this week, but my question is is anyone having problem recording from their mobile...
    This is a known issue and a fix is being actively worked-on.