Options

Duchess of Kent looks depressed

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There's a picture in the papers of her at Friday's wedding in a rare public appearance since she withdrew from royal duties. I am sure she was feeling happy for the couple but she looked like someone with a deep depression & sadness in her eyes. Apparently she is now rather a recluse :(

I thought she was about the only Royal who seemed genuinely down to earth, with a lovely warmness to her, when she used to do Wimbledon.

Comments

• Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've sometimes wondered if she and her husband are now living separate lives. Especially as she was once teaching music up at a school in Hull, and I don't think he was up there with her.
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She suffers from Chronic fatigue syndrome
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 6,885
    Forum Member
    I thought that she was looking fragile, unsteady on her feet and a little bit "lost" when she was entering the abbey on Friday. She seems to have aged a lot in the last few years.
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has suffered with depression for a long time, , and she and the Duke of Kent have lived apart for many years.

The queen refused them permission to divorce due to the fragile mental health of the duchess.

When she was young she was really beautiful, it was sad to see how she has aged.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Isn't she a Catholic now too?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She is, has been for many years.
    I guess weddings can be a strain if you are married to someone you can't abide to live with.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she looked confused when she entered the Abbey, as if she has senile dementia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkmoth wrote: »

Is that the same as M.E?
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted - already been said!
  • Options
    SassernachSassernach Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkmoth wrote: »

I think that is rather sad and I think she is brave to have attended the wedding. :(
    Let us hope there isn't any hidden agenda to what has happened in her life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    There's a picture in the papers of her at Friday's wedding in a rare public appearance since she withdrew from royal duties. I am sure she was feeling happy for the couple but she looked like someone with a deep depression & sadness in her eyes. Apparently she is now rather a recluse :(

I thought she was about the only Royal who seemed genuinely down to earth, with a lovely warmness to her, when she used to do Wimbledon.

She is 78 years old. What would you expect.
    Good article here
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    She is 78 years old. What would you expect.
    Good article here

I thought she was younger than that :o it doesn't seem that long ago since she presided at Wimbledon

Poor woman, didn't realise her life has been touched by such sadness. :(
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's had a history of depression since the termination of a late pregnancy led to a nervous breakdown.

If her pics are anything to go by she was undoubtedly the most beautiful Royal in recent history.Not only that she was naturally empathetic, gentle and charming.

Such a pity that her fragility led to her withdrawal from public duties.
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise ho old she was either, I can remember her getting married, she was a beautiful bride.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she is a lovely lady - I met her when I was a teenager, when I was chosen to present her with flowers at a charity event.

She said to me 'haven't I seen you before?' I was amazed that someone who must see thousands of people, could remember seeing me when she opened a hospital ward, a couple of years earlier:)

http://th_duchess024.jpg
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    purplecatz wrote: »
    she is a lovely lady - I met her when I was a teenager, when I was chosen to present her with flowers at a charity event.

She said to me 'haven't I seen you before?' I was amazed that someone who must see thousands of people, could remember seeing me when she opened a hospital ward, a couple of years earlier:)

http://th_duchess024.jpg

Awwww, what a touching story, thanks for sharing that :)
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    She looked very tired to me, bless her.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, she suffers from CFS/M.E.

One of the problems with this illness is the chronic depression to comes with it.

(Sufferer since 1992)
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    She was very good to Diana and Fergie through their troubles-privately giving them moral support-particularly when Fergies mother died in a car crash in Argentina.Shes a good soul.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She is like a lot of the Kents!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was very good to Diana and Fergie through their troubles-privately giving them moral support-particularly when Fergies mother died in a car crash in Argentina.Shes a good soul.

Can anyone remember the Duchess of Kent presenting the trophies at Wimbleton?
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Yes and consoling Steffi Graff when she lost
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »
    I didn't realise ho old she was either, I can remember her getting married, she was a beautiful bride.

She was, and her daughter lady Helen is also beautiful.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they were to ask the Queen again to allow them to divorce whether she'd agree, as she now has 3 children who've divorced. Although, having to ask her permission is a bit silly in the first place.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I always thought she was very lovely

She was viewed as a commoner in the very early days when it meant something viewed as lowly and her Mother in Law, Princess Marina was very scathing at her origins.

Like Diana, she was an outsider of the Royal family at that time but she was a good woman. She suffered badly at the hands of the Royals, lost a child and that was too hard for her to bear. Like Diana, she could do no right by the harridans near to the Throne and it became too much.

It was very different in the 50s and 60s for Royal Brides, but I hope she is now leading her life as she wished and it was good to see her again.