Options

Sounds of the Sixties.

Comments

• Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    It would be pretty easy for the duty newsreader to make an announcement if a major figure had died. This sometimes happens before TV programmes if there've been big news events related to the plot.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,879
    Forum Member
    Surely the BBC could get Brian to record a small tribute to whoever has died, and make way for it in the pre-recorded show by removing something not so important?

Brian would surely be mentioning John Barry's passing on this weekend's show but we all know he won't.

It's quite sad really but we can't expect Brian to get into the Radio 2 studios for 8am on a Saturday morning to do it live.

When he does retire then give the show to JW and get him to do it live or pre-recorded as live earlier in the same week.
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Brian would surely be mentioning John Barry's passing on this weekend's show but we all know he won't.

It's quite sad really but we can't expect Brian to get into the Radio 2 studios for 8am on a Saturday morning to do it live.

When he does retire then give the show to JW and get him to do it live or pre-recorded as live earlier in the same week.
    Why couldn't Brian do a short 'insert' by phone in the week that a relevant 60s person has died? Very often on Chris Evans's programme (and Terry before him), the person who does the Pause For Thought part of the programme is on the phone, and if it wasn't mentioned, you'd think they were in the studio!
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »

There was an excellent article in the Record Collector magazine about a year ago. Brian explained that the show is recorded on the Wednesday or Thursday prior to that week's Saturday broadcast.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aja wrote: »
    Maybe, due to his age and recent health problems, Brian wouldn't fancy that so maybe it's time to pass the baton on gracefully?

Then you have the problem of someone from 60s broadcasting to replace him? The only names that come to mind are David Hamilton, Tony Blackburn, Johnnie Walker or DLT.

Johnnie Walker, please.
  • Options
    mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say Ed Stewart would make a brilliant host for SOTS based on his overall radio experience from being one of the uk music radio pioneers on the original Radio London through to Ed being a familar voice to Radio 2 listeners .

I'd say Johnnie Walker would be good for a live Saturday / Sunday mid morning programme with the wide range music that he would play , bringing a very ' feel good' factor for the weekend .

Happy Bunnies all round .
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no vacancy at the moment, and I am quite certain that the majority of the show's listeners would not want Brian to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    There was an excellent article in the Record Collector magazine about a year ago. Brian explained that the show is recorded on the Wednesday or Thursday prior to that week's Saturday broadcast.
    I would have to disagree with that!;) I know from someone who stood in a couple of times when Brian was off ill ages ago, that at that time, two shows were recorded together, every fortnight, but that isn't the case anymore! Maybe if he was to bring back his competitions, the programmes might be back to being recorded no more than two weeks in advance so that he can read out the winners' names! ;)

Incidentally, why does he no longer run competitions? I once won a 'Christmas Bumper Bundle' - a huge box of CDs, DVDs, videos and books! :D
    Spot wrote: »
    There is no vacancy at the moment, and I am quite certain that the majority of the show's listeners would not want Brian to go.
    Brian still sounds good on SOTS but I wish he'd play better records! ;) If Brian retired, Johnnie Walker would be perfect on SOTS! :cool:
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breizh wrote: »
    Indeed it is. It's the drum intro and 80's sound that strike me. Not a critisism of R.Isley. The Isley Bros version is one of my favourite Motown 60's hits, and the Atlantic crossing version is practically a different song, so equally enjoyable.

I have three Rod GH collections. One's the single disc 1989 release The Best Of and two are double-disc, The Story So Far and Some Guys Have All The Luck. All three have the version with Ronald Isley! Just daft why they don't put the much superior Atlantic Crossing original on. Was a hit single after all in 1975.
  • Options
    SibeberSibeber Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have three Rod GH collections. One's the single disc 1989 release The Best Of and two are double-disc, The Story So Far and Some Guys Have All The Luck. All three have the version with Ronald Isley! Just daft why they don't put the much superior Atlantic Crossing original on. Was a hit single after all in 1975.
    In my opinion the Isleys version is one of those songs that should not be covered as it cant be bettered.Rods Atlanttic crossing version is ok but I would't lose sleep if I ever heard it again .
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have to disagree with that!;) I know from someone who stood in a couple of times when Brian was off ill ages ago, that at that time, two shows were recorded together, every fortnight, but that isn't the case anymore! Maybe if he was to bring back his competitions, the programmes might be back to being recorded no more than two weeks in advance so that he can read out the winners' names! ;)

Incidentally, why does he no longer run competitions? I once won a 'Christmas Bumper Bundle' - a huge box of CDs, DVDs, videos and books! :D

I think the competitions were axed when the BBC had all that trouble two or three years ago and all on-air competitions were suspended. They never came back.

I agree, the competitions were a giveaway as to how the show was recorded at that time, as Brian would always say that the winners would be announced two weeks on from when the questions were set.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    I think the competitions were axed when the BBC had all that trouble two or three years ago and all on-air competitions were suspended. They never came back..

Not true. Some, like Popmaster, most certainly came back. And Jonathan Ross continued with his competitions, even though the show was recorded. However, the suspension of cmpetitions gave the BBC a good chance to review this sort of content - and many programmers simply decided that competitions were a cheap and lazy way of filling airtime, giving away "shit from the office" (as I heard one very senior person say) and generally not being very good.

Competitions are allowed, with management clearance. So are "quizzes" that don't have any prizes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Matthew has just finally today paid tribute to Jet Harris who died six weeks ago.
    Just how long are these shows recorded in advance and how many does he
    do in one sitting? It seems unnacceptable to have a tribute so long after someones
    death because he is not up to travelling to the studio on a more regular basis.
  • Options
    ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Matthew has just finally today paid tribute to Jet Harris who died six weeks ago.
    Just how long are these shows recorded in advance and how many does he
    do in one sitting? It seems unnacceptable to have a tribute so long after someones
    death because he is not up to travelling to the studio on a more regular basis.

I agree 100%. Such a tribute should have been aired the week of or following Jet's death.

I do think it's time for Brian to hand over the mic to someone else.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJA - no matter WHO did the show, it would be pre recorded!:cool:
    Don't be ageist. BM knows more about sixties music than the so called 'superjocks' nowadays, and takes time to research his material. There's loads of interesting background stuff in his comments.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnie Walker, please.

..But would it be SOTS or a general Saturday breakfast show? The assumption that SOTS will continue at 8.00 on a Saturday morning after Brian retires may be a false one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long time no hear Jefferson's Colour of My Love today. Didn't know it was a Barry Ryan composition.

Yes it did seem odd to get the Jet Harris recordings so late, detracting from the immediacy of radio that we've become accustomed to, though the delay did include the turnaround time of programming in the listener's three suggested tracks.

Thought the insert on betting shops was quaint and amusing, rather than intruding. And that accent!
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,905
    Forum Member
    Don't be ageist. BM knows more about sixties music than the so called 'superjocks' nowadays, and takes time to research his material. There's loads of interesting background stuff in his comments.

There was an article in Record Collector a couple of years ago and Phil Swern chooses all the music and does the research. IIRC Brian makes the occasional suggestion and as you can hear in the programme adds in any personal reminiscences he might have.

He said he liked turning up to the studio and finding out what Phil had chosen each time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. I didn't mention anythng about age.
    2. Why would it be pre-recorded whoever did the show?
    3. There are other DJ's around that know as much about
    the sixties as BM and could be a lot more interesting.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if Brian does retire i would like to see Bill Kenwright do it i really enjoyed his show last year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    if Brian does retire i would like to see Bill Kenwright do it i really enjoyed his show last year
    I have to agree with you there... he is very knowledgeable, has good taste in 60s' stuff and he has a very soothing voice too! :cool:
  • Options
    mcampbell595mcampbell595 Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Nick G wrote: »
    ..But would it be SOTS or a general Saturday breakfast show? The assumption that SOTS will continue at 8.00 on a Saturday morning after Brian retires may be a false one.

SOTS should've been dropped from Saturday mornings yonks ago. Brian Matthew is an absolute bore and it's about time he was pensioned off.

Replace SOTS (and Sunday Love Songs) with a weekend breakfast show hosted by the excellent Richard Madeley. He would certainly liven up those bland weekend mornings on Radio 2.

SOTS should be moved to an evening slot and be broadcast as a recurring series, hosted by Tony Blackburn. The same should also happen to SOT70s with Johnnie Walker continuing as the presenter.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 2 do alternative shows to Weekend Breakfast show, and they an't called weekend breakfast shows much anymore. Most just play music and little chat, with some traffic. What can really a breakfast show offer on Radio 2? Text and Emails from listeners which sometimes bore people to tears.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOTS should've been dropped from Saturday mornings yonks ago. Brian Matthew is an absolute bore and it's about time he was pensioned off.

Replace SOTS (and Sunday Love Songs) with a weekend breakfast show hosted by the excellent Richard Madeley. He would certainly liven up those bland weekend mornings on Radio 2.

SOTS should be moved to an evening slot and be broadcast as a recurring series, hosted by Tony Blackburn. The same should also happen to SOT70s with Johnnie Walker continuing as the presenter.

SOTS is the jewel in the crown of radio 2 schedule as far as I am concerned. The programme is a must listen for those of us who appreciate the music of the decade without having DJs talking all over the music. As for Brian's presentation it is still excellent. I don't think that many other people currently in radio will have the ratings he has at 83 years of age.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not listened for ages now, I don't like Brian Mathews presentation I have to say I find him slightly patronising, I always have going right back to when I was 9 or 10 I heard him on the then BBC light programme, It must have been saturday club even then I thought he sounds very BBC, sad to say he's not changed but then why would he?