Options

Why isn't my jewellery selling?

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The free worldwide shipping is just a temp measure to see if it created more sales, it created a few but I may have got them without giving it for free.

I have taken all your comments on board and drawing up a new website design now :)

What prices do people think then? Someone said double them, I think this is too much but it depends what people are willing to pay!

Im going to take some new photos of the stuff using my housemate as a model, do people agree that stuff like this look better on someone rather than on a white background or not?

I would say no to housemate, Either keep it as you are doing now or buy a Jewellery bust (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=jewellery+bust&_sacat=See-All-Categories) and photograph them on that.

May sound silly, but photographing them on an actual person, when they are wearing the actual item you are selling gives people the impression they are second hand.
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I would say no to housemate, Either keep it as you are doing now or buy a Jewellery bust (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=jewellery+bust&_sacat=See-All-Categories) and photograph them on that.

May sound silly, but photographing them on an actual person, when they are wearing the actual item you are selling gives people the impression they are second hand.

It did dawn on me about it looking second hand after I poste but I can't edit on my phone :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree with what I read about the free postage. Whenever I see that I always think that the postage must be included in the price of the the goods. At £3 all in, this makes you goods look exceedingly cheap. I would definitely look at putting postage as an extra charge (as much for your own profit margins as anything else). That is of course assuming that your competitors all charge for postage?

Secondly I'd agree with a trade fair, you need to get out there, mark everything up at £8-10 and see what people are willing to pay for it, let them haggle you down and you'll find what price the market will allow for your goods. Otherwise, how did you decide on what price to charge, as long as the pricing is determined by buyers (through market research), not cost + desired profit, then its fine! What other posters have said is right, people associate cost with value with quality of jewellery.

Finally, reviews of items by people who have already purchased would definitely be an advantage. People normally buy online (from my perspective) because they want to be able to do more research about the product, I guess that means they're also scared of buying online if they can't find out too much about the goods... put more information up there about the goods, and you should see better confidence from shoppers, resulting in sales.

I have no idea about getting the word out there, but I think the website looks good.
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    too cheap
    not enough stuff - make batches of 5 of each item, the ones that sell out quickly - make more of them
    you should be charging postage to cover your postage costs
    consider ebaying for a while, print flyers off and stick in one with each order
    detailed descriptions
    look into other forms of free advertising - post links on gumtree etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    too cheap
    not enough stuff - make batches of 5 of each item, the ones that sell out quickly - make more of them
    you should be charging postage to cover your postage costs
    consider ebaying for a while, print flyers off and stick in one with each order
    detailed descriptions
    look into other forms of free advertising - post links on gumtree etc

if you'd care to read the thread you'll see that I have stated they are one of a kind items. I have tried eBay and etsy, sold naff all. Will try other stuff, can't really do anything costly cos I can't afford to.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impressions:

First thing that put me off was the "xo" that you sign your name with. Sorry, but people who put "x" around their name etc put me right off! (perhaps I'm just getting old!)
    Second, I went and looked at the items - the prices screamed "hang on, something must be wrong for it to be this cheap".
    Third, I saw a ring I thought was quite nice, the price looked low and I was interested to see what it actually was made of, the size, another angle of the ring etc, so I clicked on the image to get more information about the ring..but... there was none.

That put me right off so I closed the window.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    Impressions:

First thing that put me off was the "xo" that you sign your name with. Sorry, but people who put "x" around their name etc put me right off! (perhaps I'm just getting old!)
    Second, I went and looked at the items - the prices screamed "hang on, something must be wrong for it to be this cheap".
    Third, I saw a ring I thought was quite nice, the price looked low and I was interested to see what it actually was made of, the size, another angle of the ring etc, so I clicked on the image to get more information about the ring..but... there was none.

That put me right off so I closed the window.
    Thanks! This is the kind of CC I was after. I never realised just how much was wrong. :o I'm gonna totally redo the site taking everything on board!
  • Options
    orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy in jewellery from 40p to £1.50 for nice pieces, it gets sold for £6 - £15. I've sold about 500 pieces since I started this line 12 weeks ago. I also use it for promotions where an equivalent cash value would be £10 and winners are allowed to choose whatever they want. Funny enough people tend to go for the £6 stuff so as not to appear greedy lol.

I hope you don't take this badly but IMO your stuff is nice but isn't in fashion at the moment. This is disposable jewellery which is used to accent fashion clothing and has to follow the trends. I would suggest you take a look at what is selling on the wholesale sites to give you inspiration as to what people are buying.

If you are making this stuff yourself, then I would suggest to add a zero to your prices, make more of the "hand made", "one off", "exclusive", and maybe do an offer, if you buy one you qualify for 30% off a second one. Charge £2 for postage and send it it a nice box with vouchers for £5 which can be redeemed off your next purchase.

You need to display your jewellery on velvet with nice lighting and references to quality in the imagery. (even Rolls Royce show a close up of the leather stitching and walnut) It's not just a car made of metal with rubber tyres.

Your site needs to be more "Artistic", "Cottage industry", browns and creams and off whites (but bright) with a picture of you making something. A little about yourself and why you make jewellery and how it makes you feel when you create a piece of ART. Describe the piece as if it was an art work, and use flowery language to paint a picture with words.

Offer the bespoke commission jewellery from £150 to £3000.
    That will add value to your brand even if no one commissions anything. Invariably someone will, "who feels they are worth it" and who wants to cheer themselves up.

The size of font, and layout of your splash page is all wrong and needs to be scrapped. Look at successful sites and take inspiration from there. Don't try to invent your own winning formula, when someone else has done the hard work already.

I could go on, but then it would be my site and not yours lol

Good luck.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Thanks! This is the kind of CC I was after. I never realised just how much was wrong. :o I'm gonna totally redo the site taking everything on board!

same feedback from me really
    I like your products but the site really needs some work your home page could be used much better

I wouldnt buy a ring as Ive no idea what size,
    a nice descripition of each item, maybe describing where you got the buttom from, was it an old blouse or coat or whatever, if there a story behind any of the items tell it!

I would like to know so if someone complimented it when I was wearing it I had a story to tell them (if that makes sense:D)

more photos of each item, model for hair stuff is ok but like someone else said a jewellery stand for the other stuff

and fwiw I like your stuff a lot more than the other website that was linked but the website layout and content would make me more inclined to buy from that one

I think if you sort out your website and have everything ranging from £8-10 for the kind of products you have atm things will pick up

oh and remove sold items it makes it look like no one updates the site and a bit unloved and a bit frustrating for a buyer if they see something they like and its sold and thers isnt ever going to be another, let them see what you have got
    good luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I make my own stuff and sell from a website and I don't do too badly. GlamSticks My stuff seems expensive but I don't make much profit due to the cost of making them. I enjoy it though and as I can't work due to illness it gives me a purpose in life.

Some advice. It's hard work bringing people to your website. Great that you have a facebook page but you need to keep plugging it. Again and again. Writing a blog may help as you can reference your site in it with links. Maybe find a charity you like and offer some items to sell to auction, they will give you some advertising then.

Write an article about jewellery and post it on ezine articles. You can put links to your site on the author bio. Ezine articles get high up on google. Make sure you have plenty of key words on your site so google search engines can find them.

Post on every networking site you can find and keep doing it. Digg, stumble, titter, reddit, tumblr, facebook. Get friends to recommend you on forums such as MSE forum but make sure they don't say they are your friend.

Post pics up on Flickr etc so they come up in google image searches.

It is a huge amount of work but it does work.

I will also say your website looks a little basic. Please don't take this the wrong way. My first website was the same and people who loved my product wrote to me to tell me my website was letting me down. I made a new one.
    Good luck xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought 2 things off you recently and they're fantastic quality, I couldn't believe they were that cheap!
    To be honest I don't normally buy jewellery online because I like knowing information about it, but I had to search the website to find your contact details to ask about the bracelet size, maybe put those details on the website? I think I only took the risk because it was so cheap and you're a fellow DS member!

Maybe get a few reviews as well, its good that you use paypal, but unless people can vouch for the quality they won't be wiling to try it.

Wish you the best of luck :)

Edit: you could always do a refer a friend scheme? someone refers a friend to the site, and if they get something they get a voucher?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the reviews, I always ask my customers if they will write a review and if they do I post it on the site. Gives customers confidence
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really need to post what the items are made of - I'm allergic to nickel and as it stands I could barely buy anything from your site as I have no idea if it would give me an allergic reaction or not. It doesn't take a lot of time to say '100% sterling silver' or 'silver-plated', for example.

And I agree with the prices being too cheap. Although I'm a student, I would be wary of those kind of prices as it screams 'It's only going to last 2 weeks so it's not worth anymore'
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Malibu,

Had a look at your site. You've got some nice things on there and some generic-looking things that could have come from any highstreet shop. Personally, I think your USP is that your items are hand-crafted and unique - that should be the centre of your website. Emphasise that your pieces are one-offs you won't be able to buy at Accessorize or Topshop, and make sure that what you create can't be found anywhere else. I don't mean to sound harsh, but the bird bracelet, the anchor pendant could have come from Accessorize - and there are literally thousands of second-hand items on sale on e-bay, most of which have an incredibly low resale value:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACCESSORISE-SHIP-STORM-CLUSTER-NECKLACE-BNWT-/260790723882?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_CostumeJewellery_CA&hash=item3cb856a52a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GORGEOUS-NECKLACE-MONSOON-ACCESSORIZE-BNWT-/200619095700?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_CostumeJewellery_CA&hash=item2eb5d47694

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACCESSORIZE-MONSOON-BRACELET-CHARMS-BUTTERFLIES-FLOWER-/260799708137?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_CostumeJewellery_CA&hash=item3cb8dfbbe9

I love the idea of reworking old/broken items into new jewellery - I know an artist who makes good money doing it.

Also, I think what I find frustrating about your website is the limited range of stock. Most of the things I liked have already been sold, so if I were you I'd remove them pronto, and replace them with more nice things to tempt me!
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely emphasise the one-off selling point of your jewellery.

People aren't going to see the same piece on anyone else.
    It also encourages dawdlers to get a move on and buy it before it goes.

More info on pieces.

Charge for postage.

Offer a gift wrap service- pretty little boxes etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are all great ideas but they are not going to be seen unless you drive people to your site. You can have the best website in the world but people are not just going to find it just like that. You need to optimise your website for google seaches with back links, keywords etc. Swap links with other people, get your web page mentioned in as many places as possible. Of course if you get the traffic and your website is not up to much people still won't buy. These two things need to go hand in hand.

Also as someone mentioned a unique selling point is a great help. Handmade jewellery is absolutely everywhere on the net. How can you make yours different? Maybe even having a fanciful name for each piece is something? I have a name for every one of my products and each name has a story behind it. I even name products after loyal customers sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby shoes, I advertise everywhere I can, I have no problem with visitors, the current traffic stats are pretty good and I get alot of hits from a particular blog where I have ad space, it's just sales that I aren't getting but I have taken everyone's suggestions on board and already have 3 pages of a notebook filled with ideas and suggestions from here.

Thanks everyone again! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great ideas above, Another good way to get more followers and interest is to post a competition or something, You will get lots of followers, most wont purchase but its extra traffic and word of mouth.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think some of your stuff is lovely.

Definitely emphasise that these are one-off hand made designer originals, and definitely explain what they are made from ... this could even give the pieces with beads missing greater appeal.

And I agree particularly with the people who said to sort out your home page ... stick a couple of pics of your most impressive pieces on there for a start and cut most of the wording.

And definitely charge for posting otherwise it looks like you are a bit of a pushover and not a serious business woman. OK so maybe you're not a serious business woman but there is no harm in looking like one!
  • Options
    TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Please note: this is not a plug, I genuinely want feedback/advice.

I've been selling my handmade jewellery at my site www.bijouxdolly.co.uk for the last month or two now but hardly make any sales.

Ive tried all sorts to get word about. I have a Facebook page which has a few fans but most of who are my family just being nice.

I've sent a few freebies to bloggers who gave good reviews, and the replies from others to their reviews were that they loved things, they want this that and the other and they're soooo gonna buy some, but they never do!

I have ad space on some bigger (more followers) bloggers' blogs and they're generating clicks but hardly anyone is buying anything.

I promote on twitter and members do retweet to get word around but still nothing!

It's really bugging me and I can't work out why. My pieces are unique, I get really good feedback, my prices are blummin cheap and I don't charge postage but still people aren't buying???

Can people be honest with me about what they think. I don't want feedback on the web design or anything, the site works so it nothing to do with that.

Love the headbands!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have you thought about selling your pieces through a shop on ebay?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you thought about selling your pieces through a shop on ebay?

I've tried as a private seller. The fees aren't worth it. Last time I looked the cheapest shop was 14.99 a month which I thought was a bit much. I've also tried etsy and big cartel but they all charge high fees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried as a private seller. The fees aren't worth it. Last time I looked the cheapest shop was 14.99 a month which I thought was a bit much. I've also tried etsy and big cartel but they all charge high fees.

Agreed. I only sell through my website.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your stuff is really nice.

Your website, needs to be more expensive and feel more exclusive and vintage. Make more of a thing about the fact that they are made from older pieces and it's not just common tatt, make them seem like one-off designer pieces... name the pieces, put them in special velvet bags... something like that.
    Also go to more events and get your name out as being special.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another one who's not keen on the homepage - needs some photos so people who click on it know immediately what the site's about.

If you're buying some of your components from HK and China, can you guarantee that they comply with EU regs regarding things like having to be lead and nickel free? If you have public/product liability insurance (which I'd strongly suggest), you may find that buying components from overseas invalidates that cover. And if you can't guarantee the things you use are lead/nickel free, then you shouldn't really be using them as they can cause very nasty allergic reactions in some people, which could lead to legal action if one of your buyers was so inclined.

I also agree with the comments about your prices being too low. I make jewellery for a living, and my first thought when I looked at your stuff is that it's way too cheap, and that in itself will put some people off. You need to approach this more like a business (even if you only want to do it as a hobby), as you do need to ensure that you are charging enough to cover all your materials, packaging, and the time you put into each piece, which I just can't believe you currently are.

And again as others have said previously, i think you need to rethink your free worldwide shipping offer pretty quickly. You could end up losing out massively.

One thing to near in mind, in case you're not aware, is that you MUST be registered with HMRC either as a sole trader/self employed or as a business, even if you consider this just a hobby. Thy won't care about that - as far as they are concerned you're making money out of this, and therefore have to declare it for tax purposes. Failing to register with them can lead to a huge fine. And HMRC are noted for visiting craft fairs and trawling the internet for hobby crafters who think it's OK to sell stuff to make a few extra quid, and then fining them very heavily. Not worth the hassle of worrying about that all the time, in my view.

One other thing, you must include a contact address on your website - must be a physical address, not an email or PO Box - where customers can contact you; failing to provide that means you're not complying with the DIstance Selling Regulations, and could get in bother with Trading Standards. I think you also have to include a phone number. And you need to draw up some T&Cs too, covering things like your returns policy and so on - Trading Standards can help make sure you get it right, as having ones that aren't legally correct is almost worse than having none at all!

Good luck. It's not an easy thing to be doing right now!!