Options

HTC Desire reboot problems

rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have had an HTC Desire on Orange since September. It was fine until April but the phone is now almost unable to be used.

It reboots on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times. After searching Google for the problem, I saw that a lot of people have experienced this problem. It is related to the phone getting hot apparently and you need to send it off to HTC to have the motherboard replaced. I would do this if I knew the problem would be solved but apparently it returns after a few days.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem and if so what you did to resolve it? I don't want to send the phone away for 2 weeks, wipe all my data, not have another phone to use during that time and then getting the phone back and still having the same problem!

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rewind wrote: »
    I have had an HTC Desire on Orange since September. It was fine until April but the phone is now almost unable to be used.

It reboots on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times. After searching Google for the problem, I saw that a lot of people have experienced this problem. It is related to the phone getting hot apparently and you need to send it off to HTC to have the motherboard replaced. I would do this if I knew the problem would be solved but apparently it returns after a few days.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem and if so what you did to resolve it? I don't want to send the phone away for 2 weeks, wipe all my data, not have another phone to use during that time and then getting the phone back and still having the same problem!

Thanks.

I suggest you go back to Orange and tell them the phone seems to have developed a fault. They may suggest a software reinstall, or may send it for repair, or - if you took our Orange Care - may replace the entire handset.

FWIW I have a Desire - have had it since April last year - and am also on Orange, and have had no issues with it whatsoever. Sounds like you have a faulty handset to me, or maybe have installed a dodgy application (maybe a task killer?) which is causing problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nasalhair wrote: »
    I suggest you go back to Orange and tell them the phone seems to have developed a fault. They may suggest a software reinstall, or may send it for repair, or - if you took our Orange Care - may replace the entire handset.

FWIW I have a Desire - have had it since April last year - and am also on Orange, and have had no issues with it whatsoever. Sounds like you have a faulty handset to me, or maybe have installed a dodgy application (maybe a task killer?) which is causing problems.

Orange have said I need to deal with HTC. It isn't a software problem: http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=htc+desire+crashing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orange have said I need to deal with HTC. It isn't a software problem: http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=htc+desire+crashing

I suggest you speak to HTC then. As I said before though I've had a Desire for over a year now and it has never crashed, so it sounds like you must have a flaky one rather than it being a "general" thing.
  • Options
    bigtunesbigtunes Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had this problem with My Desire, my network, 3, weren't interested, apparently because the unlocked handset they had supplied had been OTA updated by HTC they didn't support that higher version of the OS :confused:

So contacted HTC, after a bit of confusion with the pickup (HTC told me courier had called but no one in - at an office block in New Malden with a 24h manned front desk... Followed about half hour later by a call from the couriers depot saying they had my name and number for a pick up but no address label...)

So with some unease I waved off my phone, tried the HTC tracking site a day later. Couldn't get it to work for a couple of days until I noticed that when clicking on enter the form was trying to open a pop up that was being blocked, which was the page telling you the status of your repair :rolleyes:
    Not that the site was much use. Wasn't updated past the 'package been received' stage. Ever. Was still saying that when the phone turned up about 10 days later.

But, phone was returned in a box, in a jiffy bag, with a worksheet telling me the motherboard had been replaced and the new imei.

Phone has been spot on since, no problems at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigtunes wrote: »
    Had this problem with My Desire, my network, 3, weren't interested, apparently because the unlocked handset they had supplied had been OTA updated by HTC they didn't support that higher version of the OS :confused:

So contacted HTC, after a bit of confusion with the pickup (HTC told me courier had called but no one in - at an office block in New Malden with a 24h manned front desk... Followed about half hour later by a call from the couriers depot saying they had my name and number for a pick up but no address label...)

So with some unease I waved off my phone, tried the HTC tracking site a day later. Couldn't get it to work for a couple of days until I noticed that when clicking on enter the form was trying to open a pop up that was being blocked, which was the page telling you the status of your repair :rolleyes:
    Not that the site was much use. Wasn't updated past the 'package been received' stage. Ever. Was still saying that when the phone turned up about 10 days later.

But, phone was returned in a box, in a jiffy bag, with a worksheet telling me the motherboard had been replaced and the new imei.

Phone has been spot on since, no problems at all.

Thanks. Which data did you lose? Did you back it up? If so, how? It's the text messages I don't want to lose really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Which data did you lose? Did you back it up? If so, how? It's the text messages I don't want to lose really.

I've previously used SMS Backup (free from the Market) for occasional backups, but since then I've bought My Backup Pro (about £4) which I schedule to run daily, backing up my texts, bookmarks, settings, applications etc. to my SD card. Works a treat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mine was rooted so before contacting 3 and HTC I did a nandroid and flashed a standard rom just to make sure it wasn't a rom issue. Part of the fault finding they went through before booking it in for repair was to do a factory reset. So at that point you lose everything unless you've backed up.
    When I got it back I just rooted and restored the nandroid.

For SMS I use SMS Backup+ by Jan Berkel,(from the market) doesn't need root and syncs with your gmail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Downloaded SMS Backup and my texts are now in my Gmail account. Does anyone know of a programme to restore them back to the phone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Downloaded SMS Backup and my texts are now in my Gmail account. Does anyone know of a programme to restore them back to the phone?

Well, if you read the details of SMS Backup you'll see that it can only do backups, not restores (which is frankly rather stupid of it.)

On the other hand, if you had installed "SMS Backup And Restore", that will do backups and restores, and is still free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem but mine started after a rather nasty fall.

Beyond text and calls using apps caused it to heat up and then go into a looping crash that it couldn't reboot from.

Luckily I have insurance on mine through my bank account and got it replaced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

SMS Backup+ allows you to restore SMS.