Options

If the BBC was going to axe one channel...

Comments

• Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    We could scrap all sport on BBC including hours of golf, football and tennis what do they cost?

But these sports are much more watched than BBC3 and 4 is, so it's a bit selfish to say "Scrap them because i don't watch them".
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: What has saving money got to do with this question?
    Maybe because the whole reason why axing of anything that the BBC provides is being driven by the need to cut costs/save money. I doubt that we would be having all of these "BBC axe" threads otherwise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Merge CBeebies and CBBC. Two kids' channels seems excessive.

I get the impression that one is for babies and the other for schoolkids. Mind you, when I was a kid, I watched ITV rather than BBC because the programmes seemed that much better.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Er, so bad teachers remain but the students sit in front of a TV (for virtually every subject in the wide curriculum)? Disruptive students are not dealt with in the appropriate manner, and are not assigned Teaching Assistants or sent to a Pupil Referral Unit (or excluded)? In your eyes student learning is better taken away from the teacher and the teaching environment and given to a series of TV programmes. It looks like you have not worked in the modern school environment, neither do you have a real feel for the wide range of subjects available to study at GCSE and A-Level (in all of their forms from the main Examining Boards - AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC)
    I'm not arguing with those points but an evening educational channel would provide an additional method of learning for those pupils who wish to learn but for any reason are unable to do so at school.
    On what basis do you judge it to be sufficient?
    Parliament consists almost entirely of people speaking. Anything of visual interest can be covered by the news channels.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Actually it's average is about 20% new programme, so that is not correct.

So if the other BBC channels have at least 20% repeats in their evening schedule, there should be room to drop the worthwhile BBC3 programmes in to them, and quit wasting everyone's time and money showing Eastenders, Family Guy, US films, and repeats of repeats which comprise the bulk of BBC3's schedule.

Young people in Britain were for over fifty years perfectly capable of finding BBC programming that appealed to them without having a separate channel dedicated to their presumed viewing interests. Maybe encouraging them to hunt around the channels a little, and stop the pretence that "EE and Family Guy lures them to the educational programmes" would broaden their horizons.
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any thing bar bbc4. I love that channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    I'm not arguing with those points but an evening educational channel would provide an additional method of learning for those pupils who wish to learn but for any reason are unable to do so at school.
    I guess those students do have homework, and also have a life outside of school. If it's ewvening viewing for them, then I reckon only the most dedicated would watch. Hardly a good use of resource when the various syllabuses differ (for example, in GCSE Maths, there are currently two quite separate courses, one modular, the other linear). English Literature will cover different books or plays according to Exam Board.
    Parliament consists almost entirely of people speaking. Anything of visual interest can be covered by the news channels.
    How incisive. In one sentence a whole channel is dismissed (by someone who does not watch or does not watch sufficient to appreciate the finer points and the raison d'etre).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should try and shift BBC Four programmes to BBC Two and maybe combine BBC Three and CBBC in some way, seeing as they're both youth orientated in one way or another.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    The results of this poll are no sign post to the wider public opinion, I suspect the average Digital Spy poster is of a older disposition so BBC3 is bound to get a bashing.
    ;)

Not necessarily, I'm only 26 but I voted BBC 3. While it does have the occasional diamond in the rough (Our War, Last *INSERT NAME HERE* Standing, Kill It Cook It Eat It), I have a tendency to often feel patronized by the channel. I don't think it's too relevant to people of my age from my area and background (there is a fair bit too much on the affluent on there) and I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive them for the Dawn Porter "Watch me take it up the arse from 30 gents in a pub car park" type documentaries of a couple of years ago. It's comedy is hugely hit and miss as well. Emphasis on miss for me, to be honest. If it wasn't for the superb Chris Lilley imports I couldn't think of many great comedies on there at all. I think the pilot season of late last year was the lowest of the low. The Klang Show was perhaps the worst 30 minutes of comedy I think I've ever seen.

So yeah, what they do well, they do very well. But there's not even nearly enough of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How incisive. In one sentence a whole channel is dismissed.
    He's right though! It's just talking heads!

Also note that if anything exciting were to happen in the chamber, isn't the director is instructed not to show it?

They' don't even freely roam show what goes on in the the rest of Westminster, like the bars, so we're only really getting what MPs want us to see. Now free roaming would be more interesting!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Voted BBC 1

Nothing original on it.. just a money pit that I object being forced to pay for.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rules aren't as strict (and daft) as they once were, and they are perfectly at liberty to show reactions of other members - though I think anything unrelated to the business of the House would not be shown, and when you think about it this is no different to the policy of not showing streakers at sports events. Presumably it is to discourage members of the public from doing such disruptive things just to get themselves on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's right though! It's just talking heads!

Also note that if anything exciting were to happen in the chamber, isn't the director is instructed not to show it?
    Yes, however coverage of Parliamentary proceedings in both houses, the coverage of Select Committees and Westminster Hall debates is not meant as entertainment.
    They' don't even freely roam show what goes on in the the rest of Westminster, like the bars, so we're only really getting what MPs want us to see. Now free roaming would be more interesting!!
    Be serious please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coverage of Parliamentary proceedings in both houses, the coverage of Select Committees and Westminster Hall debates is not meant as entertainment.
    Agreed.

So what additional useful information content does a picture provide? None, except perhaps to show how few members actually attend most debates, which is something that a radio commentator could tell us.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    But these sports are much more watched than BBC3 and 4 is, so it's a bit selfish to say "Scrap them because i don't watch them".

It's about cost. For example live PL football is too expensive and so is quite rightly on Sky but other football is shown and PL is on as highlights. It would seem that motor racing would benefit from a similar model.

The thing with BBC4 (but I don't think so with BBC3? not sure don't watch it) is that many of the programmes without the Beeb would not be shown at all whereas PL football and F1 will find a home elsewhere.

Some of these programmes could be on BBC2 but I worry that even if that were the case they would be dumbed down like Horizon now is.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    I am against any of these channels closing, but I am not against some of them merging. I would rather have one interesting channel than 2 struggling for decent content.

BBC Prime
    Formally known as BBC 1, and will continue to broadcast in a very similar manner, except with live presenters in between programs instead of promos and idents.

BBC Prime Lite
    Formally BBC 3 and CBBC. This 24 hour channel will show a light hearted mix of comedy, soap and childrens programming.

BBC Prime Mammoth
    Formally BBC 2 and BBC 4 this channel shows classic dramas and cinema titles, and documentaries and News Night. Knowledge will make you as big as a mammoth, and a mammoth is a classic beast from yesteryear, so the name is very fitting

BBC Prime Current
    Formally BBC Parliament, and BBC News 24, this 24 hour channel brings you the latest News, celebrity gossip, politics, sport and weather from the UK, as well as important worldwide snippets. This channel will be essentially BBC News 24, but with BBC parliament and BBC Weather 24 on red button feeds.

BBC Prime Dumpling
    Cbeebies and also cartoons, childrens movies etc.. and family / baby stories and documentaries later at night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed.

So what additional useful information content does a picture provide? None, except perhaps to show how few members actually attend most debates, which is something that a radio commentator could tell us.

I think this is all a bit irrelevant though as scrapping BBC Parliament would save very little. I do think they could make better use of the channel, during Wimbledon week "The daily politics" is shown at 11:30, they could easily show this on the parliament channel at the correct time of 12:00 so that those of us who could watch it at that time can still see it (okay I've now set up my PVR).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I am against any of these channels closing, but I am not against some of them merging. I would rather have one interesting channel than 2 struggling for decent content.

BBC Prime
    Formally known as BBC 1, and will continue to broadcast in a very similar manner, except with live presenters in between programs instead of promos and idents.

BBC Prime Lite
    Formally BBC 3 and CBBC. This 24 hour channel will show a light hearted mix of comedy, soap and childrens programming.

BBC Prime Mammoth
    Formally BBC 2 and BBC 4 this channel shows classic dramas and cinema titles, and documentaries and News Night. Knowledge will make you as big as a mammoth, and a mammoth is a classic beast from yesteryear, so the name is very fitting

BBC Prime Current
    Formally BBC Parliament, and BBC News 24, this 24 hour channel brings you the latest News, celebrity gossip, politics, sport and weather from the UK, as well as important worldwide snippets. This channel will be essentially BBC News 24, but with BBC parliament and BBC Weather 24 on red button feeds.

BBC Prime Dumpling
    Cbeebies and also cartoons, childrens movies etc.. and family / baby stories and documentaries later at night.

As I mentioned in your other thread, good idea in terms of structure and breakdown, but the branding :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I think this is all a bit irrelevant though as scrapping BBC Parliament would save very little...
    many are annoyed at the loss of 2 out of the previous 3 interactive streams to make room for freeview HD though, so some posters are thinking in terms of recovering some of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is all a bit irrelevant though as scrapping BBC Parliament would save very little.
    Not much money I agree, but on Freeview bandwidth is also an important issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    many are annoyed at the loss of 2 out of the previous 3 interactive streams to make room for freeview HD though, so some posters are thinking in terms of recovering some of that.

Right, I was thinking of Sky so yes that is an issue I hadn't thought of.

I'm not sure that BBC Parliament has to be provided on Freeview. I understand why providing this channel can be good to see the democratic process but satellite, internet and radio should really be enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anyone else in favour of closing BBC HD on Freeview so as to get 302 back? I know the trade would shudder at the thought but what about viewers?
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    It would be far more logical if CBeebies and the CBBC channel merged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there anyone else in favour of closing BBC HD on Freeview so as to get 302 back? I know the trade would shudder at the thought but what about viewers?
    i've said it before and i'll say it again, the BBC should reduce BBC parliament size to a postage stamp on Freeview unless parliament gift Freeview some spectrum to allow those interactive streams to be reinstated.

that'd get some action!!

But that's for another thread...
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    It's about cost. For example live PL football is too expensive and so is quite rightly on Sky but other football is shown and PL is on as highlights. It would seem that motor racing would benefit from a similar model..

Benefit whom? Certianly not the viewers who would have pay several hundred pounds a year to watch something thay they can watch now for the cost of a TV License.