Options

eastenders, "i hear the CURRY MOB are having a party later"

eastenda123eastenda123 Posts: 143
Forum Member
im surprised they added that into the script, evan though its its quiet realistic, as some people do share the same view

Comments

• Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was very brave and I commend them for having the balls to show it.
  • Options
    Kat's StilettosKat's Stilettos Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    im surprised they added that into the script, evan though its its quiet realistic, as some people to share the same view

At the time of viewing i thought "Woah, Ofcom's lines will be burning up!", but now i am glad they left it in because that's what some people talk like in real life, especially the likes of Phil Mitchell. :D
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many people make comments like this in real life. It's very realistic.

I'm pleased EastEnders kept it in and I hope there are not complaints,
  • Options
    eastenda123eastenda123 Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    At the time of viewing i thought "Woah, Ofcom's lines will be burning up!", but now i am glad they left it in because that's what some people talk like in real life, especially the likes of Phil Mitchell. :D

yep, thats what i thought, tbf i don't think any other show would of evan attempted that
  • Options
    CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear a bit of realism, as people do speak like that in real life - more's the pity.

What disappoints me most is some members on here actively agreeing with the 'curry' comment... :eek:
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catmittens wrote: »
    Nice to hear a bit of realism, as people do speak like that in real life - more's the pity.

What disappoints me most is some members on here actively agreeing with the 'curry' comment... :eek:

really :eek: that's horrible.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    So many people make comments like this in real life. It's very realistic.

I'm pleased EastEnders kept it in and I hope there are not complaints,

There should be complaints! but they should still leave it in.
    It's a good sign that they are showing racism, but even better that people are shocked by it. I liked Shirley saying they were taking over, or something too. I've heard that a lot of times. sick! lol
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    It's a good sign that they are showing racism, but even better that people are shocked by it. I liked Shirley saying they were taking over, or something too. I've heard that a lot of times. sick! lol

I think there is no reason to complain really. I mean viewers haven't complained about Zainab's homophobic comments so I don't think they should complain about this. EE is only representing what's already being said, not that they endorse it any way.

It's very realistic.

I was surprised to hear it though.
  • Options
    Kat's StilettosKat's Stilettos Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »

This.
    Its wrong but real.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley made some ignorant remarks, but they're not unheard of and it adds to the authenticity of the scenes to keep them in.

I'd be disappointed if people on here actually agreed with that kind of language though.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone remember an episode in 2008 when it was Zainab and Masood anniversary and they were walking over to the unit in their traditional clothing and all the market stall holders were laughing at them with someone shouting 'is it fancy dress?' I do remember being shocked by that (I know stuff like that happens) but I was thinking a couple of weeks ago 'oh, have they been accepted now' it's good for continuity.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,969
    Forum Member
    im confused and might be a bit dumb. what was the point of that line and why are people making a big deal of it :confused:
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    I think there has always been nasty people on the square murderers, pedophiles etc so why is this any different. So Shirley is a racist well there happens to be some in life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Also Phil is right bad choice of words though, the curry mob could be the take away store and the resturant the family tried to run, shirley on the other hand......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like when Janine referred to Christian and Syed as "the poofs", or something along those lines. Very realistic to keep things like this in the script.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    It is genuinely something you can hear from people any day of the week, often, unfortunately, as a completely casual comment. :(

Luckily, the majority of people are well informed and it's up to us to make sure that sort of thing doesn't become widespread and acceptable. As usual, kudos to Eastenders for having the guts to illustrate such an issue.

So often, they are criticised for such things, but if it highlights these matters in a negative light, that can only help the battle against the various issues. Even if it is for the sake of higher ratings.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,280
    Forum Member
    I bet you a fiver they will get complaints for that.
  • Options
    darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really did get offended by that and called Ofcom
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Christ's sake, the Masoods own a curry stall and a restaurant. I love how the PC brigade all jump to the conclusion that it was intended as a racial slur rather than a reference to the fact that the Masood family own Masala Queen! YOU RACISTS! ;)
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    It could be taken as racist I suppose, I never thought that when it was said, just referring to the fact they own the curry house, but then watching the repeat in reflection it does sound a bit racist as it seems to refer to the whole Asian family and their visiting family, then the comment about we are in the minority now, was a bit uncomfy, considering they are the only Asian family on EE afaik :o
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Shirley say something about being a minority over there, I think it was good that Daran Little included subtle things in like that it is realistic and true to what most people think.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    It could be taken as racist I suppose, I never thought that when it was said, just referring to the fact they own the curry house, but then watching the repeat in reflection it does sound a bit racist as it seems to refer to the whole Asian family and their visiting family, then the comment about we are in the minority now, was a bit uncomfy, considering they are the only Asian family on EE afaik :o

Would it be racist if Ian had been hosting a family wedding and Phil had said 'the chippy mob are having a party'?
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »

I think the word racism is branded around too often and just used to gloss over the real reasons, it maybe uncomfortable but its very true reflection of what some people can be like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    it's meant to represent real life - in real life some people would say things like this - right or wrong
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Would it be racist if Ian had been hosting a family wedding and Phil had said 'the chippy mob are having a party'?

No, because "chippy" isn't associated with a particular ethnicity.

I'm not sure I'd call Phil/Shirlie's language racist, but it was derogatory.