Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sad that Francesca lost. :( My current fav is out, but to be honest she didn't play very well ... so I have heard (as the BBC chose not to show it).:mad: They had the Federer match live on the BBC, live on the red button and live on their website, but no Francesca.

Me too JC :( Even though I didn't realistically think Schiavone could win, she was my favourite. I watched bits and pieces of her match yesterday (before rain stopped play) and she just didn't look like she was enjoying the grass at all. They put her on a horrible court as well. She deserved Court 2 at least.

Serena seems to be finding her form at last, she's my favourite now.

Am hoping Sharapova and Azarenka are dumped out in the next round. Not enjoying watching either of them play.
  • Options
    Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ana has a slam, so I don't know exactly what they were getting at it, which is why I didn't mention her.

The Williams sisters get an awful amount of criticism for their approach to tennis but who can argue with their GS titles? Playing less often and peaking at the slams, or playing consistently well to secure lesser titles and a better ranking... There's a case for both but in terms of legacy you have to favour the slams.

I feel a bit sorry for any slamless #1 but C-Woz's game means I have less sympathy for her than I did JJ or Dinara, who've played some brilliant matches respectively.
    They were just basically saying that she was another under-achiever in terms of winning GS tournaments with just the one to her name.
    indiana44 wrote: »
    It's a difficult one.

The fans and the sponsors want quality fields at the other important events during the year, basically the WTA Premier events and particularly the supposedly complulsory ones.

It is very fair that success is well rewarded at these events, and Caroline is successful there. It's a bit of a myth and derogatory that it's just she plays so many tournaments, the fact is she is consistently successful at big tournaments involving quality fields, just hasn't done it at Grand Slam level.

They could maybe tweek it a bit more towards Grand Slams, but to me certainly not such that just winning 2 or 3 Grand Slams and doing virtually nout else all year could leave you at no 1.

As folk say, in any event it's the Grand Slam winners that ultimately folk remember and are no doubt what most players aim for rather than no1, so I really don't see it's such a biggee that everyone makes out.

The two can almost exist separately. We have the Grand Slam winners and we have the most consistent player over the year at no 1.

Much of the time in a non Williams period ( where even when they play more consistently they don't tend to do so well away from Slams ) the two will coincide ( as in the men's ) but if they don't they don't. As I say, no biggee.
    Yes, that's why the media should just accept things as they are when they're not intending to change the system any time soon. You're right about the prestige and recognition generated through winning the Majors.
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    *Clare* wrote: »
    they were an actual couple.....holidayed together, lived together and Camilla followed Maria on tour ;)

So how do you know this :confused:

Wasn't from a Tennis messageboard was it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Clare* wrote: »
    they were an actual couple.....holidayed together, lived together and Camilla followed Maria on tour ;)

I go on holiday with my friend, she stays here sometimes and if I have somewhere to go she goes with me. We are both straight. Isn't that what friends do :confused:
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Me too JC :( Even though I didn't realistically think Schiavone could win, she was my favourite. I watched bits and pieces of her match yesterday (before rain stopped play) and she just didn't look like she was enjoying the grass at all. They put her on a horrible court as well. She deserved Court 2 at least.

Serena seems to be finding her form at last, she's my favourite now.

Am hoping Sharapova and Azarenka are dumped out in the next round. Not enjoying watching either of them play.

I'd Like Serena or Venus to win too Sid, but Nadia Petrova is my sentimental favourite how Fran has gone. She will not win of course. Nadia is always overlooked it seems, but usually slips through ther draw unnoticed. She's had some fine results over the years.

I definitely agree about Azarenka (Sharapova I can put up with for a few more rounds yet) But there's something about Azarenka that I just don't like. Apart from her scream. She had that match a few years ago at Wimbledon where she used her racket as a machine gun and mockingly shot the poor lines-woman, then walked over to her and picked up her hand and mockingly shook it. She swore like a trooper that day (I think she was playing Nadia too) I went off her.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWASxOSJUx8&feature=related

I am going to miss Francesca. She seems to have been on the TV every other day since the Italian Open. I am even going to miss her wonderful (yes wonderful) ;) noise when she strikes the ball. :)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarn wrote: »
    I go on holiday with my friend, she stays here sometimes and if I have somewhere to go she goes with me. We are both straight. Isn't that what friends do :confused:

I have never heard this rumour Sarn, and I have my snout in all the gossipy WTA sites. :cool:

I have been on holiday with my (male) friends too. Mind, I couldn't care less what people think. :) Life's too short.
  • Options
    Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd Like Serena or Venus to win too Sid, but Nadia Petrova is my sentimental favourite how Fran has gone. She will not win of course. Nadia is always overlooked it seems, but usually slips through ther draw unnoticed. She's had some fine results over the years.

I definitely agree about Azarenka (Sharapova I can put up with for a few more rounds yet) But there's something about Azarenka that I just don't like. Apart from her scream. She had that match a few years ago at Wimbledon where she used her racket as a machine gun and mockingly shot the poor linesman, then walked over to him and picked up his hand and mockingly shook it. She swore like a trooper that day (I think she was playing Nadia too) I went off her.

I am going to miss Francesca. She seems to have been on the TV every other day since the Italian Open. I am even going to miss her wonderful (yes wonderful) ;) noise when she strikes the ball. :)
    It would be nice to see Petrova doing well. She is one of those players that doesn't generate a great amount of attention as you say, even when she was ranked higher. Pennetta and Radwanksa are two other such current examples, though their GS performances lag behind those in other tournaments. I enjoyed watching that clip again - had forgotten about that tirade with Asderaki.
    I have never heard this rumour Sarn, and I have my snout in all the gossipy WTA sites. :cool:

I have been on holiday with my (male) friends too. Mind, I couldn't care less what people think. :) Life's too short.
    I didn't recall this either. From what I can see, it's a lot of gossip from gossipy tabloidy-type discussion forums.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wozniacki

Never really watched her for any length of time but did so for a few minutes at the weekend. I can see why she's where she is. She doesn't seem to have anything spectacular but she's solid, consistent and accurate - and sort of wears you down. Reminiscent of Murray. Like Murray it may be that she has to find more aggression to win her first GS since what she's showing at the moment probably won't be enough to take out the likes of Serena or Kim in GS finals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I definitely agree about Azarenka (Sharapova I can put up with for a few more rounds yet) But there's something about Azarenka that I just don't like. Apart from her scream. She had that match a few years ago at Wimbledon where she used her racket as a machine gun and mockingly shot the poor lines-woman, then walked over to her and picked up her hand and mockingly shook it. She swore like a trooper that day (I think she was playing Nadia too) I went off her.

:eek:Someone got out the wrong side of the bed that day! Can't believe Azarenka still managed to win that match.
    Drew_M wrote: »
    It would be nice to see Petrova doing well. She is one of those players that doesn't generate a great amount of attention as you say, even when she was ranked higher. Pennetta and Radwanksa are two other such current examples, though their GS performances lag behind those in other tournaments. I enjoyed watching that clip again - had forgotten about that tirade with Asderaki..

Petrova has under-achieved. She can, and has, beaten all the top players but she can't seem to get a winning streak going long enough in a tournament. Too many times I've seen her game disintegrate at the quarter final or 4th round stages of Wimbledon. I hope she can break through this year :)

Radwanksa plays very instinctively. She's deceptively good. But I think her game is too lightweight. Often, she doesn't get an opportunity to show what she's capable of because she's being blasted off the court by a big hitter. If she'd been on the tour 15 years ago, she'd have had more impact.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheFridge wrote: »
    All you tennis heads keep saying Cash won in 97 it was 87 !

:o Whoops, I'd just copied from my quote without engaging my brain. Of course it was, pre Sampras, who owned the 90's decade mostly.

:confused: Think I'd better retire, I'm getting so many things wrong.

You'll find me in The Twilight Home for Tennis Addicts, I'll be the one dribbling about "the good old days" which actually weren't as exciting as the current era. :D

:eek: It was wasn't it!
    I read 1997 several times and it still didn't click.
    ;) Jimmy will be in the next bed to me. You'll know him because he'll awake every so often muttering "Chrissie, I would have treated you so much better than the golfer!"
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sad that Francesca lost. :( My current fav is out, but to be honest she didn't play very well ... so I have heard (as the BBC chose not to show it).:mad: They had the Federer match live on the BBC, live on the red button and live on their website, but no Francesca.

I'll hope for Nadia Petrova now, who has been dumped out on Court 3 on Monday ... the old farts that make the rota up should give old Nadia a break. ;) Azarenka will probably win, but if Nadia loses I will not have seen any of her matches. I hope Court 3 has coverage on Monday.

Quite frankly today's interactive coverage was rubbish.

I want Bartoli to win now! Of course she won't, but when she is playing, I can't take my eyes of her! She is such an odd-bod, but I grown to like her!

I can't stand Azarenka, she sounds like a howling dog, everytime she hits the ball, I do like Nadia, but I have to say, Serena is starting to look very good!

Saturday's interactive coverage, was a waste of time! What's the point of having 6 options, if you aren't going to put matches on them!
  • Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow this is such a cool thread- room for a medium sized one? Thanks :D Avid tennis fan- former junior player- and here is my week

LOVING- Maria Sharapova, Rafa (obviously), Murray (ditto),Fed being supreme, Mikhail Youzhny (my fave tho I fear for him Monday), Laura Robson and Andrew Cotter :o

NOT LOVING- any woman shrieking who isn't Maria, Hewitt not winning again Soderling, Serena whingeing (didn't dare play the race card, though it sounded like she was tempted), Baltacha not being able to convert match points and me putting the kiss of death on Roddick and Isner by calling them as my Fifth Men.

Probably more. Sorely tempted to be poorly tomorrow and have a tennis fest.....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola14 wrote: »
    I want Bartoli to win now! Of course she won't, but when she is playing, I can't take my eyes of her! She is such an odd-bod, but I grown to like her!

I can't stand Azarenka, she sounds like a howling dog, everytime she hits the ball, I do like Nadia, but I have to say, Serena is starting to look very good!

Saturday's interactive coverage, was a waste of time! What's the point of having 6 options, if you aren't going to put matches on them!

p.s if Maria can't win, Bartoli for me as well. I think she's ready now whereas she wasn't when she reached the final
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is there no tennis on TV today? Are they not playing at W'don at all? Surely they are behind with all the rain? particularly on the matches on the outside courts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Drew_M wrote: »
    I didn't recall this either. From what I can see, it's a lot of gossip from gossipy tabloidy-type discussion forums.

I know, it's people just making up stuff. What's funnier though is that "Clare" believes it :D

She must be very young :(
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    Why is there no tennis on TV today? Are they not playing at W'don at all? Surely they are behind with all the rain? particularly on the matches on the outside courts?

The singles are on schedule. The 3 doubles events are maybe 30 matches adrift.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »

I would've thought so too. There must be a lot of doubles matches they need to catch up on but looks like they'd rather cram everything in on the final week than let them play on a Sunday.

I loved watching that Vika video. I can't help but laugh when she acts like this and I don't know why. Usually if a player was acting like that I would go off them, but for some reason I love it when Vika does it :D

I can never remember this but what day does the women's quarters take place? I have a choice of going out on either Tuesday or Wednesday but I don't want to miss the women's matches, so I need to make sure the day I choose doesn't clash with the tennis :p
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 28,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, the first week is over. A few upsets, and some very good matches. Some thought about the 4R.

*Venus-Pironkova.

When they played last year, I think everyone was sure that Venus would win, and she didn't. Funnilay enough TP also won the meeting before, at the AO back in 06. She knows she can defeat Venus; she had quite a terrible year, but seems to be playing well now. Could go either way.

*Bartoli-Serena

Serena's first tough opponent. Baroli is very much up-and down. She can play som awesome tennis at times, and really badly at times. She almost lost both in the 2R and 3R, but managed to get through.
    Serena knows she has to play well here, and most likely she will win in two easy sets, but is she has an off day we can have an upset here.

Also hoping for JMDP to trouble Nadal, and Llodra to trouble Djokovic.

And hoping a LOT that Petrova cabn defeat Azarenka. I feel she never got the results she deserved.

Cetkovska had an amazing first week. Think Lisicki will be too much, but...
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 28,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    The singles are on schedule. The 3 doubles events are maybe 30 matches adrift.

They've only played 2 sundays haven't they?
    In 91 and 97?
    I was there in 97. Had to wait for ages to get inside :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would've thought so too. There must be a lot of doubles matches they need to catch up on but looks like they'd rather cram everything in on the final week than let them play on a Sunday.

I loved watching that Vika video. I can't help but laugh when she acts like this and I don't know why. Usually if a player was acting like that I would go off them, but for some reason I love it when Vika does it :D

I can never remember this but what day does the women's quarters take place? I have a choice of going out on either Tuesday or Wednesday but I don't want to miss the women's matches, so I need to make sure the day I choose doesn't clash with the tennis :p

Women's quarters are on Tuesday (weather permitting), semis on Thursday :)
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Women's quarters are on Tuesday (weather permitting), semis on Thursday :)

Thanks. I'll go out on Wednesday then :D
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is Murray playing tomorrow? The poor sod will probably melt in this heat :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah he's on early as well so will be in the full glare of the sun! We Brits are not made for this weather!
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,262
    Forum Member
    Loon wrote: »
    Yeah he's on early as well so will be in the full glare of the sun! We Brits are not made for this weather!

The humidity and heat wont worry Muzza - he trains in Miami - where it gets very hot
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    He'll be fine, he's used to following the sun on tour all year plus he spends a lot time training in Miami :D
This discussion has been closed.