Options

What makes Beyonce a 'legend'?

Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We all know she's a great singer, dancer and overall performer. My main problem is that when you look at her back catalogue, it's surprisingly bereft of good songs compared to Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and other very popular singers.

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    We all know she's a great singer, dancer and overall performer. My main problem is that when you look at her back catalogue, it's surprisingly bereft of good songs compared to Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and other very popular singers.

Opinions?

Lady Gaga & Rihanna have the most overrated back catalogue of recent times!!! Beyonce's output shits over them
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Beyonce not only has a fantastic voice, she is also capable of singing so many different types of songs effortlessly. She can wear a gown put her hair up and really belt out tracks like Listen, then she can put on a tight fitting outfit, pull out the dance moves and sing tracks like Single Ladies or Independant Women. Despite all these different styles you know that is isn't being fake for a single second.

Plus i don't agree with the comment about her back catalogue. The majority of her singles are instantly recognisable and very well written. Deja Vu, Irreplaceable, Listen, Halo, Crazy in Love... All very good songs.

I love her :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as someone who likes all the singers mentioned (it is possible,you know!),Beyonce is consistent,isn't rude or bitchy about anyone else and puts on amazing performances that people always buzz about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Beyonce may not have the sheer volume of hits like Rihanna, but I'd say it's arguable that the "few" she has, have had far more impact in the long run.

I think when you're on her level, it's the general prestige of the whole package that makes her a legend. The respect, the awards, the longevity, the talent, the performances, the mega-hits etc.

It's the cliche of quality over quantity, but even then she has a good amount of anthems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Beyonce may not have the sheer volume of hits like Rihanna, but I'd say it's arguable that the "few" she has, have had far more impact in the long run.

I think when you're on her level, it's the general prestige of the whole package that makes her a legend. The respect, the awards, the longevity, the talent, the performances, the mega-hits etc.

It's the cliche of quality over quantity, but even then she has a good amount of anthems.

This! :) Irreplaceable recieved a better reception I thought than Single ladies yesterday
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce may not have the sheer volume of hits like Rihanna, but I'd say it's arguable that the "few" she has, have had far more impact in the long run..

Yeah but beyonce is only really starting out now solo. It would have been good to see how far she would have gone if she was never in DC but went it alone.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she's not a legend. she's not been around long enough for a start
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    This! :) Irreplaceable recieved a better reception I thought than Single ladies yesterday

I know. I bet she was pretty overwhelmed by that.
    Yeah but beyonce is only really starting out now solo. It would have been good to see how far she would have gone if she was never in DC but went it alone.

The same could be said for Michael Jackson though, couldn't it? He was famous/successful off the back of the Jackson 5. Would it have been the same without that start? Who knows.

But lets be honest, much like the Jackson 5 = MJ, Destiny's Child = Beyonce. They were their practice runs. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not a legend, but then neither is Gaga, Rihanna etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. I bet she was pretty overwhelmed by that.

The same could be said for Michael Jackson though, couldn't it? He was famous/successful off the back of the Jackson 5. Would it have been the same without that start? Who knows.

But lets be honest, much like the Jackson 5 = MJ, Destiny's Child = Beyonce. They were their practice runs. ;)

You misunderstood me, what i menat was it be good to in terms of hits how well she would have done.

would she have been better then Rhi rhi on her own etc.
  • Options
    da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her achievements, longetivity, success, worldwide icon, the most respected female artist in the music industry, insanely talented, she is an idol for so many new and upcoming artists. It is amazing how these young female artists mentioning Beyonce as an inspiration and a childhood idol growing up and wanting to be like her.

All of that and still one of the most humble people around.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She isn't yet IMO. But out of this generation she is the most likely to achieve it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    She's not a legend, but then neither is Gaga, Rihanna etc.

nope

and she's not the most respected artist in the world/industry/whatever either. get a grip
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    she's not a legend. she's not been around long enough for a start

Quite right. Now Ella Fitzgerald, Dionne Warwick, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Diana Ross - you could call them legends, but Beyonce? Will she still be around in 5 years time? Probably not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Quite right. Now Ella Fitzgerald, Dionne Warwick, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Diana Ross - you could call them legends, but Beyonce? Will she still be around in 5 years time? Probably not.

i'm sure she will, and at some point she will be a legend, perhaps when half the names you've mentioned have died
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed with your post until this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like she's an icon already and will bow out as a legend.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    black_vine wrote: »
    I feel like she's an icon already and will bow out as a legend.

I think that's very well put, she's certainly an icon of a generation and as you say, when she bows out, nou doubt she'll have reached legend status.

I can't believe someone didn't think she'd be around in 5 years... :confused: It's not like she's just come on the scene lol.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I certainly think she's stabbed a few people in the back and is ruthless in her quest for superstardom...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    nope

and she's not the most respected artist in the world/industry/whatever either. get a grip

That post makes no sense, and please learn some basic grammar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...........her Ego
  • Options
    suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce is a very versatile Singer with extreme commitment to her job but not sure how to compare her to Gaga, who is a Musician
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing makes her a legend.
    She performed like a dancing bear last night and I don't mean that in a facetious way either.
  • Options
    Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She's already been around for years, and will probably continue on with her career for many more to come. She is no more than a legend than Gaga, Britney etc (Far too early to call them legends.) However she could reach such lengths in many, many years.