Options

Saddest Death on TV

Comments

• Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spock's death in TWOK, and Data's death in Nemesis.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The injured penguin, struggling to get back to its partner and chick with food, after being attacked by a leopard seal.

(David Attenborough's "Life in the Freezer")
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought of one...Renee Roberts (Alf Roberts first wife) in Corrie.

Not necessarily the saddest death, but definitely one of the most shocking (to me anyway).

Don't forget, this was back in the late 70s before the days of Internet and spoilers and storylines appearing in magazines and newspapers six months before they actually happened, so nobody actually knew if something big was going to happen in a programme (especially a soap) back then.

I was quite young when it was shown (about 7 or 8) and I can still remember what happened now. Alf was giving Renee a driving lesson and they stopped so they could swap seats. Alf got out of the car, but before Renee could get out a lorry appeared from nowhere and hit the car and she died.

Seems very tame now compared to some of the deaths you get to see on TV nowadays (especially in the soaps :)), but back then it was very shocking.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fry's dog in Futurama's "Jurassic Bark".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed with everybody who says Nana from the Royles.
  • Options
    BarrieTBarrieT Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Alma's death in corrie when she died of cancer with all her friends around her.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any real person dying in real life like Tommy Cooper, John Thaw, etc. is sad, but I would not cry buckets or even feel remotely sad, about some fictitious character in some soap opera or play, they are just names in a script and not real people although listening to people discussing TV programmes one begin to think they could actually be real.

We actually had a guy at work who came in one morning some years ago now and said it was so very sad that Derek* ( *I cannot remember the exact name now) had been admitted to a mental hospital and was so ill, he gave all sorts of other details about Derek's relations, etc. and he looked so worried and concerned.

The way he spoke I thought it was a work colleague in the large company I worked for so I questioned him further as to who it was — it appeared his concern was all about some damn character in Eastenders or maybe it was Coronation Street. Shakes head in disbelief.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    And then started singing 'Que Sera Sera'.....I'll stop typing now, don't want to burst into tears in the office! :cry:

It says something that even the recollection of Nana's death can make you (and me!) well up.

I also agree with Butch Dingle's death, and the end of Blackadder, but that was more of a kick in the gut moment rather than pulling at the heart strings.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,261
    Forum Member
    I agree with Pratt in er and for me the show didn't survive it either the last season sucked.
    I'm a wuss so loadsa deaths are sad for me but most recently has to be Sambuca in waterloo road hers was bad.
    Oh and Dan Hunter in Hollyoaks I loved him and debbie together
  • Options
    Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colonel Henry Blake (happened off camera) in the Abyssinia, Henry episode of M*A*S*H.

At the end of the episode Radar goes into the OR and announces "I just got a message. The colonel's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan. Spun in. No survivors".
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Nana in the Royle Family. It's when Jim cries that it gets me:cry:

Also Wellard in Eastenders(Bianca breaking down) and Ednas dog in Emmerdale
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    Fry's dog in Futurama's "Jurassic Bark".

The way he waited for years on him! :cry:

And Nana from The Royle Family, made me well up
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the deaths are so very sad in Midsommer Murders, all these people in those lovely picturesque villages are now dead and all tragically murdered, I weep tears over that as I see them die and sometimes it is more than one a week. Such a good job though they have such a good policeman there like Barnaby who can discover who the murderers are. Causton and the surrounding area that Barnaby covers is not a good place to live;)
  • Options
    JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Any real person dying in real life like Tommy Cooper, John Thaw, etc. is sad, but I would not cry buckets or even feel remotely sad, about some fictitious character in some soap opera or play, they are just names in a script and not real people although listening to people discussing TV programmes one begin to think they could actually be real.

To be fair (to people like me who've contributed to this thread) people often get sad and cry at deaths, or sad scenes in general on television/film because we can relate them to our own lives, and our own loved ones, and imagine how we'd feel if that were us in that situation.

I'm unapologetic about getting upset in those situations, it just shows I'm human and empathetic (though it can be embarrassing if it happens at the cinema).

God, I watched 'Up' for the first time the other week and was crying my eyes out within the first 15 minutes, lol :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denny's death in Grey's Anatomy. :cry::cry:

Can't bear Katherine Heigl these days, since she disappeared up her own backside, but back then she was amazing in that scene.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N1gger being run down in the Dambusters. :(

Probably because it was a portrayal of a real death.
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a death, but when John Noakes announced that Shep was no longer around that was a sad moment
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ayrton Senna.:cry:
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elly in Centennial, in "The Wagon And The Elephant" episode about Levi Zendt and the Oregon Trail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_(miniseries)#The_Wagon_and_the_Elephant
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    When Rex died in Desperate Housewives and Bree got the phone call. She finished polishing her cutlery then just broke down :cry:

I thought that was very well done.

One that has always stuck with me is Paul from 8 Simple Rules. I thought the way they handled John Ritter's real death was very raw.

Also Brendan Fraser's character in Scrubs (I forget the name, was it Ben?). I thought the episode where he died and the aftermath was very well done, also the blonde patient who Dr Cox had a break down over (again can't remember the name). That was back when Scrubs was the best, they managed to mix heart break with comedy so well.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was very well done.

One that has always stuck with me is Paul from 8 Simple Rules. I thought the way they handled John Ritter's real death was very raw.

Also Brendan Fraser's character in Scrubs (I forget the name, was it Ben?). I thought the episode where he died and the aftermath was very well done, also the blonde patient who Dr Cox had a break down over (again can't remember the name). That was back when Scrubs was the best, they managed to mix heart break with comedy so well.

Yeah he was called Ben, the one Dr Cox lost his mind over was Jill Tracy who he thought was just after attention but then she died, and he used her organs to save 3 people but they ended up dying of rabies, it was loosely based on a true story.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joyce Summers (Buffy's Mum), one of the saddest hours of a television series, however the 2nd best episode of the whole series, beaten by the outstanding Hush.

For a film, Susan Sarandon's character in Stepmom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Kate in NCIS :cry: 6 years and it still makes me cry
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryan chappelle - 24
    buffys mum - buffy
    miss landingham - west wing
    (not really a death but) doctor who - david tennant version
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with Nana in the Royle Family. It's when Jim cries that it gets me:cry:

I must be in a minority of one, I thought the maudlin sentimentality jarred with the usal fart gags and low end humour, it really was very out of place, as for Jim crying......... C'mon.... he hated the old bag o' bones.

Not denying the great performances from Smith and Johnson though.

Matthew's death in a 1970s production of Anne Of Green Gables is my " bit of sand in me eye " moment.