Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theshadow wrote: »
    It was well done for the time and looked believable

Half her head was missing?
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Nana's death in Royle Family and also Max's death in HO little Tom's reaction was heartbreaking I was sobbing. Although I cry at a lot of TV and films i'm such a softie :o
  • Options
    nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel in Cold Feet - really shocked me and Stringer Bell in the Wire
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Mel Harvey in Benidorm

On the Christmas special last year where Mick recieves the phone call about Mel's passing and having to tell the rest of the family. They all looked genuinely upset (the actors themselves) when the news was broken and at the end credits they played Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy. I nearly choked up myself.

Compo in Last of the Summer Wine

The looks of Clegg and Nora Batty when the doctor came into the waiting room and gave a look to them meaning that Compo had died.

Nana in The Royle Family

When they are all gathering around Nana's bed saying their goodbyes to her. Even Jim Royle was crying his eyes out.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do films count?
    If so, when Colin, the blind man gets shot in The Great Escape.
    I have watched the film dozens of times (it's my OHs favourite!) and even though I know it's coming it still gets me every time especially as it's based on a true story:cry:
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel Harvey in Benidorm

On the Christmas special last year where Mick recieves the phone call about Mel's passing and having to tell the rest of the family. They all looked genuinely upset (the actors themselves) when the news was broken and at the end credits they played Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy. I nearly choked up myself.

I just remembered about that, that was sad :cry:
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    Nana Moon's death in Eastenders.

Or rather the episode preceeding it, when Alfie took her to the seaside and she reminisced about her husband and worried that because he died when he was young, and she would be an old lady, that he wouldn't recognise her in Heaven.

I cried :cry::o

It was very poignant as they also went to Normandy where they had flashbacks of when she was younger with her husband.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madge Bishop
    Veria Duckworth
    Oh and nana roayl familly just saw some one else say that :D
    I find it real sad when they have there loved ones there, I also find it incredibly moving to see a man cry and so vulnerable like that.....I do not like it, it makes me sad :P
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :cry: Charlie Metcalfe(played by Ray Liotta) in ER(Time Of Death).One of the finest pieces of acting i've ever seen.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's got to be Tommy Cooper's death that happened on live tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If movies count, Brooks Hatlens death in Shawshank Redemption has me crying every single time. It is one of my favourite movies, and I have seen it countless times, but it still makes me cry.

Also Mufassas death in The Lion King. I remember seeing it in the cinema and pretending I needed the toilet when he died so I could go and cry. To this day, I cannot watch when he dies, it really does get to me. :(

Also agree with Mel Harvey's death in Benidorm. It was genuinely sad because the actor had suddenly passed away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosaliee wrote: »
    If movies count, Brooks Hatlens death in Shawshank Redemption has me crying every single time. It is one of my favourite movies, and I have seen it countless times, but it still makes me cry.

Also Mufassas death in The Lion King. I remember seeing it in the cinema and pretending I needed the toilet when he died so I could go and cry. To this day, I cannot watch when he dies, it really does get to me. :(

Hahaha the lion king, sorry sweety that just made me chuckle(do not worry I cry when E.T gose home :P), I agree with the Shawshank though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Greene in ER
    Megan in Casualty
    Catherine of Aragon in the Tudors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Rowan in Heartbeat, Nick standing at the front door in his PJ's with the snow coming down, that was very sad!
  • Options
    cathcatcathcat Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    ScottRosa wrote: »
    +1 for Ethel Skinner in Eastenders

+1 for Alma Baldwin in Corrie

Another one which springs to mind was when Michael Jardine was found washed up on the mudflats at Langbank in Taggart and Jackie stroked his hair and took the leaves off his face. Then later when she spoke at the funeral, that was the saddest part.

Agree with the above, especially the Mike Jardine funeral scene, also when Bobby died in NYPD Blue, when Sipowicz kissed him I was sobbing, loved Bobby.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :cry: Charlie Metcalfe(played by Ray Liotta) in ER(Time Of Death).One of the finest pieces of acting i've ever seen.

That was an amazing episode IIRC Liotta got an Emmy for the performance.

Another vote for Lucy's death... which was a shocking surprise (stabbed by the Maths genius guy in Numbers :eek: ), whereas Dr Green's had been expected...

From Wikipedia:
    Liotta had a memorable guest appearance that year on the television drama ER playing Charlie Metcalf in the episode "Time of Death". The role earned him an Emmy for "Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series". Liotta would later spoof himself and his Emmy win in Bee Movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    The episode in Cracker where Christopher Eccleston's character gets stabbed and dies while trying to give them as much info as possible while he drags himself bleeding into the street.

Very tense and amazingly acted.

I was going to post this death, it was really shocking and upsetting. Christopher Eccleston's character was Bilborough and he was stabbed by Albie Kinsella played by Robert Carlisle. I remember the scene where they zipped Bilborough up in a body bag. I thought the series was from about 10 years ago because I recall it so vividly, so was shocked to find (when I looked it up on IMDB) that it was actually broadcast in 1993.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lem - Season 5 of The Shield
    Omar - The Wire
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathcat wrote: »
    Agree with the above, especially the Mike Jardine funeral scene, also when Bobby died in NYPD Blue, when Sipowicz kissed him I was sobbing, loved Bobby.

Must admit I cried a little the first time I saw that scene when Jackie said 'We all loved you Michael.......'I' loved you' as if she'd only just realised it herself at that very moment, or that was the first time she'd admitted it to herself.

Seeing that again a couple of times since then always brings tears to my eyes.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I am unable to watch the episode of Barbara and Nana in the Royle family where Nana is getting her hair done.

A couple of hours before my lovely Mum died she asked me if she had been a good parent. I told her she had been an awesome parent and thanked her for all she had done for me. She did likewise.

That episode reminds me so much of one of our final conversations and if it's ever on the TV I have to leave the room.

Maybe the poster who belittled people who are affected by TV deaths should use their imagination and wonder why ?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,567
    Forum Member
    Sambuca in waterloo road hasnt even been mentioned in this thread yet!
    Yes, that was sad.

But it was the TV announcement of a real-life death that shocked me more than anything else before or since. No, not Lady Di - but the assassination of President John F Kennedy in 1963.

I will never, ever forget the visibly shaken face of presenter Mike Scott on a live regional news programme (Scene at 6:30 I think) on Granada TV - as he was (I think) first in the Country to broadcast the news of Kennedy's death. It shocked me rigid, I can recall everything about that moment.

Sadly, Mike Scott too is now no longer with us, RIP.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    I am unable to watch the episode of Barbara and Nana in the Royle family where Nana is getting her hair done.

A couple of hours before my lovely Mum died she asked me if she had been a good parent. I told her she had been an awesome parent and thanked her for all she had done for me. She did likewise.

That episode reminds me so much of one of our final conversations and if it's ever on the TV I have to leave the room.

Maybe the poster who belittled people who are affected by TV deaths should use their imagination and wonder why ?
    Your post has brought tears to my eyes. I'm sorry for your loss, and you're quite right - often scenes like these remind us of our own tragedies. The death of Nana reminded me so painfully of my own Nan that I haven't been able to watch it more than once.
  • Options
    JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Button62 wrote: »

trec123 wrote: »
    Your post has brought tears to my eyes. I'm sorry for your loss, and you're quite right - often scenes like these remind us of our own tragedies. The death of Nana reminded me so painfully of my own Nan that I haven't been able to watch it more than once.

I totally agree ... I was so affected by that episode and I, too, can't now watch it again as it's too close to home.