Options

Guardianista Laughs At Death of Gap Year Students

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    As someone who has had to put up with people laughing at my actual surname (Fartomly-Smallpiece) for all of my life, I find the woman's attitude quite distasteful.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    Of course he reported what she said! The exact position of the side of her lips is unclear, but I think he is right to highlight the matter.
    A smile is a facial expression formed by flexing the muscles near both ends of the mouth.
    Laughter is an audible expression or appearance of excitement, an inward feeling of joy.
    Spot the difference.
    One could say the same about your posts on the matter ;)
    I'm not the one who has lied about the subject. I have merely pointed out that the Guardian has a minimal link to her and that she didn't laugh - therefore the headline "Guardian Hack Laughs" is a lie.

Can you think of any reason why Guido is lying?
    Why are you so willing to support a liar?
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    I'm not the one who has lied about the subject. I have merely pointed out that the Guardian has a minimal link to her and that she didn't laugh - therefore the headline "Guardian Hack Laughs" is a lie.

Can you think of any reason why Guido is lying?
    Why are you so willing to support a liar?

I am not supporting him, I'm just not that bothered about his somewhat sensationalist headline. We can only guess at why he worded it in the way he did, but I think the important thing in all this is her comments. Why do you think she made them?

And as for dodgy headlines, even the best of us make them sometimes. Remember "Why did Sky News not cover Armed Forces Day?" ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not supporting him, I'm just not that bothered about his somewhat sensationalist headline.
    Since when does "sensationalist" and "untruthful" mean the same? Looks like you are defending a liar by claiming the headline is "sensationalist"
    We can only guess at why he worded it in the way he did,
    So why do you think he lied not once but twice in the headline? Why do you think he emphasised the Guardian connection but I think the important thing in all this is her comments.
    Why do you think she made them?
    Like most Twits on Twitter she didn't think of consequences
    And as for dodgy headlines, even the best of us make them sometimes. Remember "Why did Sky News not cover Armed Forces Day?" ;)
    And people have pointed out the "error". He's already changed the headline once from "Guardianista" to "Guardian Hack" so it's not as if it's something he couldn't change. So why do you think he hasn't changed two lies in a headline?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Just as shocking and distasteful"? You've got this very wrong, allafix. I can understand you want to defend the Guardian and (it appears) anyone on the left.

But to pretend that the hurt that would have been caused to those families due to the comments posted by Kia Abdullah are comparable to the comments made about a newspaper and unnamed people with a political viewpoint is just ridiculous.
    The Guardian has nothing to do with these tweets. I'm not defending the Guardian, just attacking the very tenuous link to it. They distanced themselves from her as soon as the tweets became known. Yet you and others only appear to want to make capital out of her very bad taste against the Guardian and the left as if all left wing journalists have the same low standards. That is "just as shocking and distasteful" because it recycles her comments to make the false argument.

I think it's you who have got this wrong, not me.
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Spot on, MartinP.
    Since when was your role reduced to cheer leader? I thought you were a sensible contributor to this forum, but so far in this thread all you've done is snipe at me and support someone else criticising me. No contribution to the topic itself or genuine engagement in debate with me. Just sniping. :(
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After starting a thread about a story which actually had nothing to do with the Guardian perhaps its critics would like to say a word about its role in uncovering the phone hacking story.

For the last two to three years the Guardian has fought a lone campaign against the active hostility of News Corp and their allies inside Cameron's inner circle as well as the indifference of the police, the other polical parties and even the rest of the press and media. The number of times we have heard that the story is running in to the sand and the number of times it has turned out that the NoW have been lying through their teeth has been astonishing.

So lets hear it for the Guardian for persisting in pursuing a story which genuinely is in the public interest, as opposed to the attitudes of papers like the Mail, the NoW and the Sun which think that prurient stories about footballers are the acme of journalistic achievement. Come on let's all join in...

Three cheers for the Guardian....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Mail publish a story like this and the spittle really flies. How good it is for their readership that this journalist has a passing relationship with the Guardian, a chance to have a side-swipe at those liberal lefties who are the scourge of this once great island.

I don’t suppose it might have entered their heads that this foolish, off-hand comment on a social networking site was with regard to the chuckle inducing names with no regard at all to the fate of the boys? The fact that the hack was foreign sounding and a lefty isn’t relevant to this non-story.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find unsurprising is how the same people who will make capital at a left wing newspaper which wasn't even involved in the remarks of a journalist have suddenly gone quiet whenever the Mail uses the tragic accidental death of a 13 year old as a cheap way to spread its interests and propaganda and when News International is discovered to be involved in the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone, potentially jeopardising a criminal investigation - headed by a media tycoon who wants full control of BSkyB - a man who will have massive influence in the UK media and that all three party leaders are scared to confront.

Hmmm...
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nasty. There seems to be a lot of trolls out there in the press saying horrible things to provoke reactions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when does "sensationalist" and "untruthful" mean the same? Looks like you are defending a liar by claiming the headline is "sensationalist"
    So why do you think he lied not once but twice in the headline? Why do you think he emphasised the Guardian connection but I think the important thing in all this is her comments.

I don't agree that the Guardianista or Guardian Hack line is untruthful. She has a profile on the Guardian website and has contributed many articles (every one a gem!). Guido is a blogger who has used the same kind of misleading headlines as is common across the tabloid press to sensationalise the story. I don't know what his history is with the Guardian but clearly he's trying to point out the hypocricy of the "caring left" by linking it to the publication she has written articles for in the past.
    And people have pointed out the "error". He's already changed the headline once from "Guardianista" to "Guardian Hack" so it's not as if it's something he couldn't change. So why do you think he hasn't changed two lies in a headline?

As above. I don't see the "Hack" term as a lie.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find unsurprising is how the same people who will make capital at a left wing newspaper which wasn't even involved in the remarks of a journalist have suddenly gone quiet whenever the Mail uses the tragic accidental death of a 13 year old as a cheap way to spread its interests and propaganda and when News International is discovered to be involved in the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone, potentially jeopardising a criminal investigation - headed by a media tycoon who wants full control of BSkyB - a man who will have massive influence in the UK media and that all three party leaders are scared to confront.

Hmmm...

The Daily Heil is sh*te though and doesn't pretend to be otherwise. It's journalists are crap, their columnists are crap, the paper offers nothing in substance other than the daily LOL factor at some of it's bizarre headlines and factually incorrect stories about cancer, house prices and immigrants. Whereas The Guardian, it's journos, columnists and it's readership take this view that they are morally and intellectually superior to everyone.

The Mail, Guardian, The Sun, The Mirror, the NotW are not fit to wipe my backside on. And if NotW have been found to have hacked Milly Dowlers phone then I hope they are taken to the cleaners by her family and the business ran into the ground.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

FWIW I put the term Guardianista in my thread title, I don't think it was ever on the order-order headline I posted. I felt the term Guardian hack was far more derogatory than Guardianista.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmmm...

Ok, i'll be clear on this. I don't think the 'Guardianista' line about this woman is unfair, and I find her comments distasteful, and utterly pathetic.

Equally, I hope, if the claims are true, that the NOTW goes down the toilet for what they've done.

See, it's not difficult criticising both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    FWIW I put the term Guardianista in my thread title, I don't think it was ever on the order-order headline I posted. I felt the term Guardian hack was far more derogatory than Guardianista.
    As I recall it was - however it doesn't affect the facts that there was no reason to even mention the Guardian nor to say she laughed (which she didn't). Given the prominence of the "Guardian" in the headline it seems pretty certain that Guido was more interested in the "links" to the Guardian than the story itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree that the Guardianista or Guardian Hack line is untruthful. She has a profile on the Guardian website and has contributed many articles (every one a gem!).
    So does Harold Evans - would you call him a "guardianista" or "guardian hack"
    Guido is a blogger who has used the same kind of misleading headlines as is common across the tabloid press to sensationalise the story. I don't know what his history is with the Guardian but clearly he's trying to point out the hypocricy of the "caring left" by linking it to the publication she has written articles for in the past.

"Misleading" - he lied pure and simple. If this headline had appeared on the mainstream press it would rightly be referred to the PCC if not actually sued.

If Guido normally lies about things then why should anyone trust anything he says?
    As above. I don't see the "Hack" term as a lie.
    Hack generally refers to journalist, not someone who writes the odd thing for a newspaper. She is known more for being an author and her main income is from being an author. She is no more a Guardian Hack than Boris Johnson is a Telegraph Hack - and Boris writes weekly for the Telegraph.
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    Ah all the usual suspects out to defend this vile brand of intolerance.

Wonder if they'd be doing the same if the person responsible for the tweets was white or male?

I doubt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does Harold Evans - would you call him a "guardianista" or "guardian hack"

As already explained, a the term "guardianista" has little to do with writing articles for the Guardian newspaper. You can be the former without the latter.

At a stretch you could call him a "guardian hack" but it would be right down at the bottom of the list of things he is known for so would be a bit silly. In the case of Kia, that's pretty much all she was known for outside of her 2 books, so it makes more sense.
    If Guido normally lies about things then why should anyone trust anything he says?

Does he "normally lie"? Are the majority of his articles full of lies? No of course not. Let's be honest about this, Ethel. You really dislike Guido and want to use this story to try and smear and attack him.
    She is no more a Guardian Hack than Boris Johnson is a Telegraph Hack - and Boris writes weekly for the Telegraph.

As mentioned above. You could call Boris a Telegraph Hack, it wouldn't bother me, but it would be silly to put this near the top of the list of things he is known for. What you might like to do is take it up with the respected left wing magazine "The New Statesman" who asked Is Boris Johnson a mayor or a hack?

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/03/boris-johnson-mayor-telegraph
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mail, Guardian, The Sun, The Mirror, the NotW are not fit to wipe my backside on. And if NotW have been found to have hacked Milly Dowlers phone then I hope they are taken to the cleaners by her family and the business ran into the ground.

If you put the Guardian on that list surely you must include the daily Telegraph as well?

Or is that ok because it's a right wing paper?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ethel, Can you confirm that you know that the headline was changed on the "order-order" website? Is there any proof for this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    If you put the Guardian on that list surely you must include the daily Telegraph as well?

Or is that ok because it's a right wing paper?

Nope you can add the Torygraph, Independent, The People, The Sunday Star and probably the FT too. Anyway I already included The Guardian's counter-paper, the Daily Heil in that above list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope you can add the Torygraph, Independent, The People, The Sunday Star and probably the FT too.

At least you can still read the latest Diana news in the Daily Express :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least we can still read the latest Diana news in the Daily Express :p

You can add that to the list too. :D
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to say she laughed (which she didn't).

She said she smiled when she saw their names; clearly meaning she was amused by it. If you really want to have a ridiculous debate about semantics, knock yourself out, but it's an incredibly weak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    Ah all the usual suspects out to defend this vile brand of intolerance.

Wonder if they'd be doing the same if the person responsible for the tweets was white or male?

I doubt it.

Us white males eh?

We get a rough deal you and I brother, I had to stand up on the bus the other day to let a pregnant woman sit down. It wasn’t as if I would have been breaking the law but I would have looked like a right git if I’d not done the right thing.

Non the less, we’re persecuted you and I brother, which ever way you look at it we’re the ones who are burdened with the weight of all the others problems, paying our taxes to support unmarried mothers and keep asylum seekers in four bedroomed, semi-detached luxury, prisoners enjoy flat-screened gym filled days at our expense and our women lay around farting through silk all day as soon as they manage to ensnare one of us poor suckers who slaves away in some darkened, filthy environment 12 hours a day.

We should rise up, fight back for our rights to live in equality with our other citizens, chain ourselves to railings and throw ourselves in front of racehorses!

In fact, you should start us off, seeing as you brought it up, there’s a race meeting at Pontefract today why don’t you go and throw yourself under a horse in the 3.30? Please could you avoid Celtic Sixpence though? I’ve got a monkey riding on it.
  • Options
    DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the people attacking Guido and the Daily Mail are trying dodge the issue at hand here by bringing attention away from what the real story is. A woman with undoubtedly strong links to the Guardian made some vile comments about the deaths of some young lads because she thought they were posh. Just because Guido made a sensationalist headline (which I don't think was that far off. Looking at her articles tells me she is definitely a hack) doesn't mean Kia Abdullah should be let off the hook.

Maybe it is wrong to use this story as a stick to beat the left with, but with the NOTW phone hacking story, it looks to me like many left wing commentators are using it to attack News Corp and the right with.