Options

The Murdoch empire stoops to a new low.

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,421
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    +1

Behind the scenes, the NoTW will get a playful pat on the arse, "don't do it again."

...when huge fines and crim-time are really needed to stop such wanton abuses. Only things like that will make them (and others) think twice before doing such things again.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    l'd go much further, WelshNige, and l'd want the employees and editors concerned to be doing time in Wormwood Scrubs http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wormwood+scrubs&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=545&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=XRkSTuEGjbCEB5fsxaEP&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBIQ_AUoAQ for what they've done. l hope that there'll be a full police investigation in due course and that the Crown Prosecution Service will bring charges over this matter.

The News of the World, News International and Murdoch just cannot be allowed to get away with such a gross (and tasteless) invasion of privacy this time round.

I agree 100%, they've clearly broken the law here and should be punished accordingly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    No point moaning about it, or expecting any form of meaningful action from the authorities. Just don't buy or read the company's product.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez. You have got a go a long way to find a story more vile & disgusting than this. It makes me sick to the stomach to think think of the false hope they'd have given her family knowing the voicemails were being listened to & space being freed up.

These scum must have knew what they were doing, had they no conscience whatsoever and they'd have been a few who knew.

There are multiple grounds for a prison sentence for those involved here.

In the shorter term though, there is no excuse whatsoever for that paper to flog more than a few thousand copies on Sunday. Of course, it'll hit 4 million like normal but that saddens me most. The story has and will make huge news, no excuses to having missed it, so if you still buy it after all that, hang your head in shame.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Jeez. You have got a go a long way to find a story more vile & disgusting than this. It makes me sick to the stomach to think think of the false hope they'd have given her family knowing the voicemails were being listened to & space being freed up.

These scum must have knew what they were doing, had they no conscience whatsoever and they'd have been a few who knew.

There are multiple grounds for a prison sentence for those involved here.

In the shorter term though, there is no excuse whatsoever for that paper to flog more than a few thousand copies on Sunday. Of course, it'll hit 4 million like normal but that saddens me most. The story has and will make huge news, no excuses to having missed it, so if you still buy it after all that, hang your head in shame.

People ABSOLUTELY should go to prison over this.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    +1

Behind the scenes, the NoTW will get a playful pat on the arse, "don't do it again."

Or, more likely "don't get caught next time"
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    This was written before the latest misdemeanours but it's worth reading :

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/comment/dont-panic/learning-love-rupert-murdoch-145726138.html
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What a vile story. It's probably one of the worst I've read in a long time. Have they no shame?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find really disgusting about this, well one of the things, is how none of the other tabs have put it on the front page today. Even when they're in competition they still want to keep this filthy tabloid behaviour under the carpet.

Oh they've said in the past, that their readers aren't interested in this type of a story. Yet how much coverage have they given to Milly Dowler over the years, and in the last few weeks? Are they really saying no-ones interested in this?

The rank state of these "newspapers" and they way they cover for each other needs to be seriously looked into, IMHO.:mad:
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The then editor Rebekah Brooks has denied all knowledge of this.

But the paper printed details from those messages. Did she not ask where the reporter got them from? Did she not care?

I find it very hard to believe the editor would not know about where a reporter got his information from in such a huge story.

So either she is lying and she did know or she didn't know in which case she allows reporters to put facts into the paper without bothering to ensure she knows where they came from or if they are true.

So she is lying or incompetent.
  • Options
    Silver TractorSilver Tractor Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murdoch and his cronies exert far too much influence over our politicians, press, broadcasters and police.

The current scandal is yet another example of the depths that News International is prepared to plumb in order to get a story.

Our democracy is threatened by Murdoch and if the takeover is given the go-ahead by his Tory chums then it is further proof that we now live in a thoroughly corrupt country.:mad::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The backlash has begun. Ford has said it has cancelled its advertising in the News Of The World and other major advertisers are reported as considering their position.

Meanwhile, the police investigating the Milly Dowler phone hacking scandal have spoken to the parents of the two girls murdered at Soham. There are rumours that they may also speak to Madeleine McCann's parents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Surely the News Corp takeover of BSkyB must at the very least be put on hold till all investigations are complete
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoodyGuy wrote: »
    The backlash has begun. Ford has said it has cancelled its advertising in the News Of The World and other major advertisers are reported as considering their position.

Meanwhile, the police investigating the Milly Dowler phone hacking scandal have spoken to the parents of the two girls murdered at Soham. There are rumours that they may also speak to Madeleine McCann's parents.

Halifax and npower are also reported as pulling their ads from the paper.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is probably the worst thing that a newspaper can do and it is always he NOTW that is responsible. Is it not now time for the government to step in and close this sorry excuse for a newspaper down once and for all
  • Options
    Patsey10Patsey10 Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I hope more companies pull the plug on advertising in that sad excuse of a newspaper and I would like to see a concerted campaign for people to boycott buying it as well (although I cannot see that happening-sadly). Let's hope the government and police deal with this in the manner this vile crime demands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is now moving incredibly fast. Channel 4 news reporting tonight how a Metropolitan Police officer's phone was hacked during another murder.

There will be an emergency debate in the House of Commons tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoodyGuy wrote: »
    This is now moving incredibly fast. Channel 4 news reporting tonight how a Metropolitan Police officer's phone was hacked during another murder.

There will be an emergency debate in the House of Commons tomorrow.

More to come on Newsnight tonight on BBC2 apparently. Clarence Mitchell, the McCann's media man is on and also Jacqui Hames, the former Crimewatch police officer.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Patsey10 wrote: »
    I hope more companies pull the plug on advertising in that sad excuse of a newspaper and I would like to see a concerted campaign for people to boycott buying it as well (although I cannot see that happening-sadly). Let's hope the government and police deal with this in the manner this vile crime demands.
    I agree. But Cameron and Hunt threatening Murdoch?

I think not. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. But Cameron and Hunt threatening Murdoch?

I think not. :D

Well, you say that but the entire population is now seeing for itself what has been going on. If the Government fail to act they are surely opening themselves to huge criticism and a voters backlash.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Radio Vet wrote: »
    Well, you say that but the entire population is now seeing for itself what has been going on. If the Government fail to act they are surely opening themselves to huge criticism and a voters backlash.

It matters not. David Cameron doesn't run this country, Rupert Murdoch does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Vet wrote: »

Agreed, but Nick Clegg, taking questions in the Commons, has refused to commit to a public inquiry into the phone hacking scandal.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find really disgusting about this, well one of the things, is how none of the other tabs have put it on the front page today. Even when they're in competition they still want to keep this filthy tabloid behaviour under the carpet.

Oh they've said in the past, that their readers aren't interested in this type of a story. Yet how much coverage have they given to Milly Dowler over the years, and in the last few weeks? Are they really saying no-ones interested in this?

The rank state of these "newspapers" and they way they cover for each other needs to be seriously looked into, IMHO.:mad:

The lack of front page cover is because people who live in greenhouses shouldnt throw stones..... they aint any better. One Newspaper co is getting a drubbing at the mo, the others must be nervous right now.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    News International hand emails to the police concerning payments to the police for information.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/07/coulson-admitted-police-2003

This has always been the most important aspect of this ongoing story for me. The payment of police officers for information.
  • Options
    crabstercrabster Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anybody remember at the time back in 2002 of any mention that her answerphone had been accessed after she had gone missing?

I don't remember hearing about it but surely that would have been a pretty massive piece of info that would have come out at the press conferences etc?