Options

Advertisers lead Murdoch backlash

Comments

• Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    These were the sort of people the News of The World were knowingly employing.

Kind of blowing apart the whole claim they were doing the hacking for child protection reasons doesnt it.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Without Sky allowing other companies to use Videoguard, they're locked out!

But if they were compelled to sell some or all of the company then it would be worthless without that and also the monopolies commission might get involved.

Probably would not go that far but they could be required to reduce their stake.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thelostone wrote: »
    They would have to keep sky's name as its been using the sky name for 27 years now,

Why? If allegations against the News of the World implicate more of the Murdoch empire or just they suffer by association then the Sky name could become toxic and they might find it advantageous to drop it. Though I still think more newspapers are going to be caught out.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't make much difference if I boycotted the NOTW - I have never bought it in my life!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of people signing this petition to derail Murdock's bid. Thousand in the last few hours alone.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/murdoch_messages_2/?fp
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Rebecca Brookes' words will come back to haunt her - "It's inconceivable that I knew" etc. Being inconceivable isn't quite the same as not being true.
  • Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of people signing this petition to derail Murdock's bid. Thousand in the last few hours alone.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/murdoch_messages_2/?fp

Good - keep BskyB independent from News Corp.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    For all the "competition" talk, I think some FM's would be happy with the BBC being the sole media empire in the UK. ;)
    Which FMs might they be?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    I wonder if Rebecca Brookes' words will come back to haunt her - "It's inconceivable that I knew" etc. Being inconceivable isn't quite the same as not being true.
    You can bet your arse a team of lawyers approved every single weasel-word of that statement.
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice the Sun failed to feature the phone hacking news on their front page today....guess that's the freedom of the press.

Small item top LHS, mentions ALL papers
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the NOTW building is a crime scene should it not be cordoned off and all documents and computers siezed ?

For the duration of the investigation.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    As the NOTW building is a crime scene should it not be cordoned off and all documents and computers siezed ?

For the duration of the investigation.
    I would imagine the most incriminating evidence on the premises has long-since been destroyed.

Of course, if I was dealing with a snake like Rebekah Brooks on a day-to-day basis, the voice recorders on my mobile phone and MP3 player would be in constant use in my top pocket. I bet a few disgruntled ex-employees have a private stash of evidence.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Man found dead with an axe in his head. Turns out he had done some work for NOTW

Police investigate murder

News Of The World put policeman in charge of investigation into murder under surveillance. When caught NOTW give the implausible reason that they thought he was having a romance the woman of Crimewatch, turns out they are married..basic journalism without having to leave your desk let alone putting a member of the police force under surveillance. This 'romance' thing was clearly a lie.

There is something seriously wrong going on there,and that is even before we get to the whole phone hacking thing.

With so many phones being hacked NOTW have collected so much data and personnel information on people ranging from TV personalities to Politicians to members of the police force. The Murdoch media has had these people over a barrel for many many years, and because of this the police and politicians have been too scared to take on the Murdoch Media Empire.

Now the thing is, politicians over the years have needed the Murdoch press..but given the choice they would prefer the political arena without him in it. This scandal has now given politicians and the police a chance to clip Murdoch Media wings and stop the hold he has over the police and politicians.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Chris Bryant appeared to suggest earlier that the Mail on Sunday/Daily Mail and the Mirror were also involved.

Take a look at the graph. Even the holier than thou Guardian

http://order-order.com/2010/09/10/take-a-look-in-the-mirror/
  • Options
    thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good - keep BskyB independent from News Corp.

sky was 100% own by News Corp 84-90 you know.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,100
    Forum Member
    Just been an item on BBC Breakfast one agency has pulled all it's clients advertising from The News of The World.

Co-op confirmed to have pulled its advertising.

NOTW regarded as a damaged brand.

Mumsnet has pulled its advertising from Sky.

Any evidence advertisers have stopped paying for spots on the papers website?

The agencies are monitering the online communities to gauge public reaction as to when to restart advertising in the NOTW.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mumsnet has pulled its advertising from Sky.

Mumsnet do not advertise on Sky!! I suggest you find a link and post an accurate statement!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Mumsnet do not advertise on Sky!! I suggest you find a link and post an accurate statement!!

That's what was said on BBC Breakfast.

It seems Sky were advertising on Mumsnet which has been pulled by the website.
    While influential parenting website Mumsnet, which was two months into a three-month campaign promoting Sky's services, has decided to distance itself from the paper.

Chief executive Justine Roberts said calls by the website's readers for the company to pull the campaign had become too loud to ignore.

The group removed the broadcaster's advertisements from its website after an outcry from members of the discussion forum over the Milly Dowler allegations.

Evidence people do see NOTW, The Sun and Sky as one big happy family ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Evidence people do see NOTW, The Sun and Sky as one big happy family ?

There's always been a sizeable section of the population who believe that Sky is owned and run by Rupert Murdoch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This scandal has now given politicians and the police a chance to clip Murdoch Media wings and stop the hold he has over the police and politicians.

Yes, but as if they will! Our goverment/politicians are far too spineless to make such a bold move.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well this has offically got interesting, I really hope this backlash is more than just a token gesture by the companys involved.

This maybe the first time ive agreed with Mumsnet on something
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Why? If allegations against the News of the World implicate more of the Murdoch empire or just they suffer by association then the Sky name could become toxic and they might find it advantageous to drop it. Though I still think more newspapers are going to be caught out.

If Sky News ran 'exclusive' videos to cross promote stories in the NOTW which were due to phone hacking then Sky could get covered in urine?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, but as if they will! Our goverment/politicians are far too spineless to make such a bold move.

It's different now, The NOTW and Sun are currently regarded as abhorent by the general public.

There is very little NOTW or Sun can do to stop the onslaught of public opinion, tapping into the phone of a murder victim, victims of bombings and their families or soldiers who died in Iraq or Afghanistan...is a BIG MASSIVE NO NO.

If the Sun or NOTW were to sling mud it would be laughed at considering what they've proved to have done and what's been alledged...they are powerless at the moment.

The opposition weren't comfortable cosying up to Murdoch, they want his balls on a pike outside parliament, the government have nothing to fear, neither do the police....the enemy curently has no friends.

There will be no cosy backroom deals for Murdoch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's different now, The NOTW and Sun are currently regarded as abhorent by the general public.

Have you got sales figures to back up that statement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New York Times splashes the story on its front page...
    It was when advertisers started deserting Rupert Murdoch's News of the World that the American media realised something really important might be happening.

The phone hacking scandal was splashed on the front page of The New York Times yesterday, the same paper whose examination of the issue last September encouraged Scotland Yard to get off their behinds and re-examine a case that had previously been assumed cold.