Options

Torchwood - Miracle Day - US Pace (8/7/11 on Starz)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I am so jealous of you all watching it tonight! I want Torchwood now! From the pictures I've seen the promotion for Torchwood MD in the USA has been incredible, adverts on buses, taxis, giant posters, even Miracle Day marches?!
    Out of interest, what's a good viewing figure for Starz? Torchwood will do brilliantly for it!
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    cynthia wrote: »
    I'm in the US and have no idea how they are getting it. I just checked Starz to see if I'd missed a preview; I did not. I could watch it but I agree that I want the ratings to be good so production won't be halted. I only have to wait 8 more hours:eek:
    <snip>.
    I think I know how that episode is available. There is a Starz On Demand which allows you to watch new releases. My provider doesn't offer it yet. Evidently Comcast does, so the person can record and upload the program on the day it is release. Just a theory, but I think it is correct.

Eh?! The link to watch it online was posted hours ago in this very thread!! :confused:

I popped out to get a few beers after the first ten minutes and am settling down now to watch the rest :)

Initial impressions (no story spoilers):
    ...are very positive! It's very 'American', if you know what I mean - lots of quick cuts in the editing etc. It looks very polished, and it's very early on but if the changes move it even further away from Who, which I think they might, then imho it's a good thing - Torchwood was always stuck before in a grey area of 'not Who but not its own thing either'.
  • Options
    Evenstar120Evenstar120 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I think I will be okay watching it, part of me remembers how much I hated parts of CoE,and part of me remembers how fab the first two series were. I am ready now to sit down and watch it when it becomes available to UK viewers.
  • Options
    Philly1234Philly1234 Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link to watch online is still there, in sparkle's post. It's apparently geo-blocked for US only.

It's not magic, or illegal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have the Proxy !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    You know we'll most probably have a torrent or something tomorrow, it's not that long to wait :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just finished - overall very impressed indeed!

I think everyone should give it a chance on this showing :)

This thread is US pace right? And it's been online over there for hours. So, unless someone corrects me I'm going to post my impressions (no story - hints even) without spoiler tags.

It's a completely different beast from the old show (on the basis of only one episode of course) - only the few characters and general theme remain.

It's arguable that this forum should be 'Doctor Who and Torchwood' anymore. I'd strongly suggest not. No doubt there will be a thread on the subject after an episode or two airs in the UK.

It's what you'd expect really when you heard it was a US co-production. I expect the UK version will have more UK stuff in - at least a scene or two.

Some very dark stuff hinted at. It looks like it might have finally become a 'proper' adult show.

So polished for so much of it, but a bit of ropeyness towards the end I thought.

Also a contrast between the flashy scenes shot in the States and the UK looking a bit rougher :rolleyes:
    I think I will be okay watching it, part of me remembers how much I hated parts of CoE,and part of me remembers how fab the first two series were. I am ready now to sit down and watch it when it becomes available to UK viewers.

I loved the first two series in a very 'guilty pleasure' way, but didn't like CoE much either. It lost a lot of what I loved, and I despised what Jack became/did. At the same time I didn't think the story was all that great. (I'm well aware I may be in the small minority on any if not all points.)

Like I say, it's just so different you will just have to try it for yourself :)

I found the change extremely refreshing.
    Does anyone have the Proxy !!

I only came to proxies today. There's not a (single) proxy that works, unless I misunderstand the whole concept. There are many to choose from, and I guess you just have to keep trying them till they work. I had to try about three until I found one that worked. It was though butter-smooth, and I think in HD, but the internet connection is good :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought CoE was an absolutely superb series, so I'm more concerned that it won't live up to that for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    I thought CoE was an absolutely superb series, so I'm more concerned that it won't live up to that for me.

This is, imho, so different to any Torchwood before it's almost impossible to compare them.

I thought the 456 were a great concept even though I didn't much like the series...but the idea behind this is much more promising imho, it really is amazing.

I'd strongly say that if you won't watch before the UK transmission take every care not to get spoilered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    This is, imho, so different to any Torchwood before it's almost impossible to compare them.

I thought the 456 were a great concept even though I didn't much like the series...but the idea behind this is much more promising imho, it really is amazing.

I'd strongly say that if you won't watch before the UK transmission take every care not to get spoilered.

Great, I certainly don't mind it being different! I'm very excited, hopefully find a download and watch it tomorrow, I cannot wait a week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Just watched it via the link, it didn't grab me the way COE did tbh, the whole miracleness of miracle day didn't really shine through for me, everyone seemed to accept it very readily.

I enjoyed it though, looking forward to the rest.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    It's geo-IP blocked to anyone outside the United States. You would need access to a US based VPN or
    a proxy server to view that stream.

Bunch of bloody *******. They have NO RIGHT!!!
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I know how that episode is available. There is a Starz On Demand which allows you to watch new releases. My provider doesn't offer it yet. Evidently Comcast does, so the person can record and upload the program on the day it is release. Just a theory, but I think it is correct.

You're absolutely right. I live in New York and have Starz - including "Starz HD on Demand" and the first episode is available to watch hours before the actual premiere. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just watched it via the link, it didn't grab me the way COE did tbh, the whole miracleness of miracle day didn't really shine through for me, everyone seemed to accept it very readily.

I enjoyed it though, looking forward to the rest.

I think considering they had to set the show up from scratch for the new US audience, and that the series is twice as long as CoE, the opener did really well at introducing the main characters and themes, which will obviously take off next episode.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention that the premiere is 51 minutes long. Starz also have the following Torchwood videos (mini-docs & interviews) available for fans in the US:

1) Inside Torchwood (11 minutes)
    2) Torchwood On Set (2 minutes)
    3) Torchwood: Perfect (1 minute)
    4) We Are Torchwood (5 minutes)
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching it. My first thought is that I cannot figure out what scenes would be unacceptable for UK transmission. There were some pretty graphic bloody scenes but you see worse on Casualty every week. It was a very promising start however.
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished - overall very impressed indeed!

I think everyone should give it a chance on this showing :)

This thread is US pace right? And it's been online over there for hours. So, unless someone corrects me I'm going to post my impressions (no story - hints even) without spoiler tags.

It's a completely different beast from the old show (on the basis of only one episode of course) - only the few characters and general theme remain.

It's arguable that this forum should be 'Doctor Who and Torchwood' anymore. I'd strongly suggest not. No doubt there will be a thread on the subject after an episode or two airs in the UK.

It's what you'd expect really when you heard it was a US co-production. I expect the UK version will have more UK stuff in - at least a scene or two.

Some very dark stuff hinted at. It looks like it might have finally become a 'proper' adult show.

So polished for so much of it, but a bit of ropeyness towards the end I thought.

Also a contrast between the flashy scenes shot in the States and the UK looking a bit rougher :rolleyes:

I loved the first two series in a very 'guilty pleasure' way, but didn't like CoE much either. It lost a lot of what I loved, and I despised what Jack became/did. At the same time I didn't think the story was all that great. (I'm well aware I may be in the small minority on any if not all points.)

Like I say, it's just so different you will just have to try it for yourself :)

I found the change extremely refreshing.

I You are not in the small minority with me,i loved series 1:and 2 and still watch them now,but C of E i didnt like as it lost everything i loved about the show at the time-i wasnt ready for that much change,:cry:
    But now 2 years later im looking forward to a change,id love to see it a week early but i have no idea how to,im not clever on computers,i can just about write on forums!::o:o:o
    Any help please pm me,but im pleased that you said it was a refreshing change-heres to the new Torchwood then!:D:D
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for above^^^^-my quotes from another poster didnt come out right and i've no idea why-even when i went back to try and edit it:o:o,..i did say that i'm not very good on the computer!:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    Sorry for above^^^^-my quotes from another poster didnt come out right and i've no idea why-even when i went back to try and edit it:o:o,..i did say that i'm not very good on the computer!:D:D

You needed to put [/QUOTE] or [/quote] at the end of the part you want to quote :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I think considering they had to set the show up from scratch for the new US audience, and that the series is twice as long as CoE, the opener did really well at introducing the main characters and themes, which will obviously take off next episode.

Oh yes I agree totally, apart from a bit of dodgy acting :D, but nobody seemed amazed at the miracle tbh, it was all dour omg, which I thought was a bit odd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damnit, I wish the upload would appear already!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long now! Surely it should be *ahem* acquirable by 4AM our time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizx wrote: »
    Oh, I am so jealous of you all watching it tonight! I want Torchwood now! From the pictures I've seen the promotion for Torchwood MD in the USA has been incredible, adverts on buses, taxis, giant posters, even Miracle Day marches?!
    Out of interest, what's a good viewing figure for Starz? Torchwood will do brilliantly for it!

Starz has a bit fewer than 19 million subscribing households. Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (which I believe scored Starz' best ratings ever) managed 1.7 million viewers for it's finale in February for the initial broadcast (plus probably another million or so for same night repeat airings).

For comparison, last week the most watched show in the USA (Amercica's Got Talent) garnered 13.7 million viewers and the most watched cable broadcast managed 6 million viewers:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/nielsens-charts.htm

No premium cable shows made the top 15 cable shows last week--though I believe True Blood got over 5 million the previous week.
  • Options
    Julian-FreakJulian-Freak Posts: 2,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very different feel to the old Torchwood but I'm hooked.

I agree with nattoyaki on the difference in locations and Wales did look a little grimey in some scenes. as opposed to USA looking cleaner.

I think Rex
    is not a fan of Wales :D

Overall . I'm warming up nicely for the rest of the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a first episode that has to set up the series as well as introduce several characters to a new audience, I thought it did very well.

My favorite spoiler-free (because I don't know how to do spoiler tags) moments of the show (although there is almost nothing in the first episode that can be spoiled since almost all of the plot for it was in the trailer.

1) Oswald Danes is one of the creepiest characters ever. Pullman pulls it off better than I thought he would. "She should have run faster." Creepy.

2) Domesticated Gwen and the baby giggling while mommy is firing a gun.

3) "Agent Owen Harper - FBI"

4) "By the right of the 456 act of the US code."

5) Rex basically saying that Wales is to England as New Jersey is to New York.

I liked it a lot. I am looking forward to next week so we can chat about what scenes are different.